Forum Basics

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 29 2011 7:34 AM

I know this is very elementary, but I'm looking for the best way to keep abreast of forum posts. Those of you who regularly track the forums, what method(s) do you use? Reader? What? Many thanks for suggestions/input!

Posts 5569
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 7:42 AM

Danny Baskin:

I know this is very elementary, but I'm looking for the best way to keep abreast of forum posts. Those of you who regularly track the forums, what method(s) do you use? Reader? What? Many thanks for suggestions/input!

I use Firefox and currently have 3 forum tabs open. One is open to the "Recent Topics" section, another to "Your posts Discussions" and a third to whatever other thread I'm tracking at the moment (if any - and sometimes more). I leave these open throughout the day and hit refresh anytime I want to catch up.

I ignore forums I have no interest in (I don't have a mobile device or anything from Apple, and don't use Proclaim, e.g.).

This is the only thing I do to keep up with things. I have disabled the forum software from emailing me anything. I don't follow via RSS. I just leave the browser open all the time, and refresh when I want to catch up.

That means I miss some things. But if I tried to keep up with everything here, I'd miss other things elsewhere (family, church, eating, sleeping, etc.). I'm fine with that.

EDIT: Jut to clarify: it's not "Your posts" it's "Your Discussions"

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 7:49 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

Danny Baskin:

I use Firefox and currently have 3 forum tabs open. One is open to the "Recent Topics" section, another to "Your posts Discussions" and a third to whatever other thread I'm tracking at the moment (if any - and sometimes more). I leave these open throughout the day and hit refresh anytime I want to catch up.

I ignore forums I have no interest in (I don't have a mobile device or anything from Apple, and don't use Proclaim, e.g.).

This is the only thing I do to keep up with things. I have disabled the forum software from emailing me anything. I don't follow via RSS. I just leave the browser open all the time, and refresh when I want to catch up.

That means I miss some things. But if I tried to keep up with everything here, I'd miss other things elsewhere (family, church, eating, sleeping, etc.). I'm fine with that.

EDIT: Jut to clarify: it's not "Your posts" it's "Your Discussions"

Thanks, Richard! I do something very similar myself. I'm always fishing for new ideas, etc.

db

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 8:33 AM

Personally use Chrome for Logos forums with many tabs open: Wiki, favorite forums, 3 Logos pages (often reference in replies), and google (for forum search).  For many forums, I have clicked "Sorting and Filtering" to "Hide topics I've read" so refreshing forum page shows threads with responses not yet read.  If nothing new, then page refreshes quicker.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 75
Rusty Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 8:39 AM

I subscribed to the forum feeds through Google Reader. It posts all updates for the forums and then I can just pick the ones I am following, but also have a chance to peruse others I might otherwise miss.

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 9:16 AM

I use Google Reader but just get the new threads, so I am not overwhelmed with every post. If I'm interested in a thread then I subscribe to get emails of new posts.

I have a very good iPad app called Mr. Reader, which accesses the feeds that I am subscribed to with Google Reader. This has an option to display the thread page on the forum automatically rather than just the content of the feed; that way I can immediately see if there have been replies to the original post.

Posts 1202
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 4:08 PM

I use Google Reader, but wish that I could "unfollow" certain Logos forum topics...especially Proclaim (I don't use it, won't, and it tends to generate a lot of posts that make me think it is L4 related).  On the other hand, I've picked up on some conversations in the Apple forums that have interested me although I'm a PC/Android guy.

When I open Logos Forums in Chrome, I'll usually go to the "My Discussions" first to see if someone replied to a post of mine.  I've never had the forum follow a thread for me...I'm already drowning in e-mails.

I probably hit the forums at least once every day, mostly just to lurk.  My New Year's resolution is to get a life... Wink

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 4:36 PM

I combine various feeds (General, L4 Windows, L4 beta, etc.) into one feed, and read it in Google Reader. This is really just to make sure I don't miss anything important.

I then have three favourites on my browser toolbar: Your Discussions, Not Read, and Unanswered Posts. If I don't have much time I just click the first one, if I have more time I click the second as well. If I've lots of time I click the third, and try and help out where posts have gone unanswered.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS