Quotations Database

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 57
James Tetley | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 31 2011 2:05 PM

Hello All,

Just looking for some advice - am thinking of getting myself organised and storing useful quotes from books in some form of electronic storage system - just interested if people have used Logos 4 for this - or how do you store your quotations so they can be retrievable.

Someone mentioned using a Wordpress site where you can add tags as the different quotation categories?

Anyhow just picking the Logos community brains to find out what people do and if they use Logos for this

James

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 2:36 PM

I use Evernote for doing this as the ability to tag your notes/quotes and search for them relatively easily, and organise your notes/quotes by different notebooks (or folders), makes this a simple, but effective, note taking platform.

I also like the fact that the Evernote apps for my MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone allow me to add new notes or read existing notes seamlessly across all platforms. 

If you want to check it out, here's the website: http://www.evernote.com

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 2:58 PM

James Tetley:

Hello All,

Just looking for some advice - am thinking of getting myself organised and storing useful quotes from books in some form of electronic storage system - just interested if people have used Logos 4 for this - or how do you store your quotations so they can be retrievable.

Someone mentioned using a Wordpress site where you can add tags as the different quotation categories?

Anyhow just picking the Logos community brains to find out what people do and if they use Logos for this

James

Peace to you, James!           *smile*                                 and                 A Blessed and Happy New Year!

I think you will find that a Logos4 PB would be just about perfect indeed for your needs!                   I have a few similar PB's going right now.  In Logos4 "my content" is quite searchable!                    *smile*

Psalm 65:5

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 36342
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 4:47 PM

Logos uses Clippings for storing quotations. They include tags so that you can organize them. See clippings in the wiki.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 7:41 PM

MJ. Smith:

Logos uses Clippings for storing quotations. They include tags so that you can organize them. See clippings in the wiki.

Great thought, MJ!           Less work than a PB; although I'm fond of PB's!          If I were doing it, I'd juse clippings to gather a lot of the quotations I wanted to save and then later on make a PB.                  A Happy and Blessed and Healthy New Year to you!                              Peace!            *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 6010
Simon’s Brother | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 8:10 PM

MJ. Smith:

Providing you have the book in Logos format.  If you don't then you can't add to a clippings file.  And clippings at this stage are not accessible from mobile devices.  For a mulch-platform solution you can't go to wrong with Evernote, but inside Logos itself, clippings are great.

Posts 36342
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 8:16 PM

Andrew McKenzie:
If you don't then you can't add to a clippings file.

You can copy & paste into a clipping ... and the more we use the function in Logos 4, the more Bob is apt to enhance it to our liking. Acctually the clippings have been popular.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 6010
Simon’s Brother | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 8:37 PM

MJ. Smith:

Andrew McKenzie:
If you don't then you can't add to a clippings file.

You can still copy & paste

But you can't add a blank clipping so you have to add a clipping from an existing resource and will have the wrong bibliographic information attached on the backside of the clipping since this can't be changed.

Till Logos gives us to add a blank clipping and add our own bibliographic information this won't be a truly functional option.

(MJ not trying to cut down your solution just want to point out where Logos is deficient. I am not sure Bob has the vision for this yet either, but one day if we keep talking about it as a need Wink )

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 8:42 PM

Peace, Andrew!        *smile*                Happy New Year!      for me in 19 minutes ...   for you  ....  yesterday, I guess!                    Good to see you posting!

However, you can add to a Blank Clipping!  (Although it's a wee bit difficult to add the citation re. the quote!)

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 8:47 PM

You know, Andrew!   Maybe I need to concede that you are correct.  *smile*

Going to watch the Big Apple down in NYC come down with my wife (watch with my wife - not come down with my wife!)        in a few minutes so I'll try to put my brain back in gear next year!

Again, Blessings and Happy New Year!

Posts 57
James Tetley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 1 2012 2:39 PM

Thankyou - had a quick look at the Evernote and really like the tagging functionality and the fact that you can't start new clippings for non Logos books is a bit of a no-no for me.  Thanks for advice. Happy New Year

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS