Will Logos 4.5 be a paid upgrade?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 4
Caleb Stomberg | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 31 2011 2:58 PM

This may be already answered somewhere, but I can't seem to find the answer.  I have found some discussion about Logos 4.5 about to be released (currently in testing or something).  I am about to buy the scholars base package (probably tomorrow after I get home from church), and I would like to know if I am going to have to turn around and purchase the update shortly after getting the software. 

I am the pastor of a small rural church, and the base package, even with the current sale, will more than drain my yearly ministry expense budget, so I really would like to know if it will be outdated soon after buying it. 

If anyone has any advice on what kind of tablet to purchase to best utilize Logos 4 I would appreciate it as well. 

Posts 2249
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 3:03 PM

No, Logos 4.5 is a free update.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 3:12 PM

caleb:

I am about to buy the scholars base package (probably tomorrow after I get home from church)

Hi Caleb, welcome to the Logos forums. If you are planning on taking the plunge to buy a base package, I would strongly advise you to do so no later than January 2. This will ensure you benefit from the current Christmas specials of (1) a 15% discount on the base package you buy, plus (2) free Logos credit which will enable you to buy additional resources at a later date. (You will need to register your email address to benefit from this.)

Check out the Logos website for details of the Christmas offers if you're not familiar with them. (Apologies for the clumsy hyperlink - my iPad won't let me shorten the URL!)

http://www.logos.com/christmas?utm_source=logos.com&utm_medium=globablalert&utm_content=textlink&utm_campaign=christmas2011#/christmas?utm_source=logos.com&utm_medium=globablalert&utm_content=textlink&utm_campaign=christmas2011

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 3:32 PM

Caleb, glad you have you on the forum!

caleb:
I am the pastor of a small rural church, and the base package, even with the current sale, will more than drain my yearly ministry expense budget, so I really would like to know if it will be outdated soon after buying it. 

Logos' business model is to provide the reader engine for free, you only pay for the license to read the books. So, every time Logos releases a new version of its software you can download it for free, in fact the default program settings are to download an install new releases automatically.

caleb:
If anyone has any advice on what kind of tablet to purchase to best utilize Logos 4 I would appreciate it as well. 

Keep in mind that the tablet versions of Logos are lower powered than Logos 4 on Windows/Mac. Basically you should decide whether you want an iPad or Android tablet. I don't have either but it's my impression that currently the iPad app is more full featured than the Android, but improvements are continuously being made. You can check out either the iOS and Android forums to help you make that decision.

Posts 6784
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 7:33 PM

Caleb, you might also want to enquire about the installment plan, if you do not have all of the funds right now. There is a five ($5) monthly fee for each month that you have the payment plan.

But in any case call sales and have a talk with them.

Welcome to the Forums.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 8:46 PM

caleb:
This may be already answered somewhere, but I can't seem to find the answer.  I have found some discussion about Logos 4.5 about to be released (currently in testing or something).  I am about to buy the scholars base package (probably tomorrow after I get home from church), and I would like to know if I am going to have to turn around and purchase the update shortly after getting the software. 

Welcome Big Smile

In 2009, Logos changed licensing so now pay once for resource licenses to use on a variety of electronic devices.  Caveat: due to previous agreements with publishers, some Logos resources cannot be used in Logos mobile apps.  All Logos software is free.

Logos Christmas specials include many Bibles for $ 10 plus Collections => http://www.logos.com/christmas

Suggest calling Logos Sales on Mon 2 Jan 2012 to discuss Scholars base package purchase, ... => http://www.logos.com/about/contact

Wiki has => Logos 4 Beta Program with information and risks with public Logos Beta releases.

For learning Logos, wiki has => Getting Started with Logos

caleb:

Wiki has => Logos 4 Release Notes that shows Logos has shipped many free stable Logos 4 releases and updates over past couple years.

caleb:

For lightweight portability, Apple's July 2011 MacBook Air models with 4 GB RAM are attractive for Logos 4,  Refurbished models are available for purchase => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air  Apple packages refurbished Macs the same as new, only the box has a refurbished label.  Also comes with same warranty as new.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 1 2012 1:56 AM

I use an iPad 2 and Logos works incredibly well. It is free which I very good and I am able to access all of my scholars gold library plus all of my commentaries.

Posts 1863
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 1 2012 6:02 AM

Kevin Becker:
Logos' business model is to provide the reader engine for free, you only pay for the license to read the books.

I know that this has been discussed before and I know that since Caleb is buying a package this does not apply, but for others' benefit, who do not know and are thinking about converting from Libronix, I think that it is still important to point to this page when we discuss that Logos does not charge for the engine: http://www.logos.com/minimalcrossgrade since to get the full program's bells and whistles, besides a reader, you do have to invest some money. I still see a lot of Libronix products in bookstores and am sure that these are the first experience with Logos that many people have.  I know that it was mine Smile

When they come to the forums and see things discussed such as Biblical People, Places and Things they should know that these are a part of the Logos experience but also a part of the minimal crossgrade.

The Minimal Crossgrade costs $69.95. There are no discounts available.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 1 2012 6:47 AM

Rick:
When they come to the forums and see things discussed such as Biblical People, Places and Things they should know that these are a part of the Logos experience but also a part of the minimal crossgrade.

To use many of Logos 4 amazing capabilities does require appropriate resources, whose licenses cost money.

Logos blog article discusses 4 ways to move to Logos 4 => http://blog.logos.com/2009/12/4_ways_to_move_to_logos_4/ 

By the way, if considering minimal crossgrade, suggest talking with Logos Sales => http://www.logos.com/about/contact

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1863
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 1 2012 6:50 AM

Thank you for the links KS4J, I had truly forgotten about the 4 ways blog entry and your post brought more balance to mine.  Yes

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS