Logos 4 Indexing crashes every time

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 9199
LogosEmployee

MarkKulikovsky:

I've attached the checksum report as requested. Incidentally, I moved the three suspect files back into the directory first so it would also check them. I look forward to your 'analysis'.

Well, those files are definitely different to the "official" ones I have here... but they're not the only ones. A quick scan of the differences between my checksums and yours is showing dozens of different files. Unfortunately, I didn't think to log the file size, so I can't tell if they're truncated, or just different. I've attached a new version of the program; if you run it again, it should help answer that question. (Meanwhile, I can start building a list of affected files.)

One other question: did you install from DVD or via download?

Posts 9199
LogosEmployee

Bradley Grainger:

I've attached a new version of the program.

Now with attachments!

[View:http://community.logos.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/76/2100.ResourceChecksum.zip]

Posts 62
Mark Kulikovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 10:06 PM

Bradley,

Files were downloaded. New version of the Resource Checksum checker currenly running. Should take about 10 minutes.

Posts 62
Mark Kulikovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 10:15 PM

Latest Checksum report attached

4011.ResourceChecksum.txt

By the way, it only seems to be doing checksums on the Logos 4 files and not the Logos 3 files - is that what you intended?

Posts 9199
LogosEmployee

Mark Kulikovsky:

Latest Checksum report attached

As mentioned before, this is identifying a lot of differences. I've only made my way through the D's (I'll need to write another program to identify the different files, instead of comparing by hand, I think), and the files listed below are giving you problems. I'm concerned that so many files (35 out of 369 checked, or 9.5%) seem to be affected, and wonder if there may be an underlying hardware issue. We could delete the files and let the system try to download them again, but it doesn't seem like there'd be any guarantee that the next download would succeed either. If you have sufficient upload bandwidth, you could email a couple of the smaller files listed below to logos4feedback@logos.com, which would let us see how they're different, and perhaps provide a clue as to where and why the download failed.

AGNT
ANF03
APFTHLFTGK
BBLSTRY03
BBLSTRY04
BBLSTRY05
BBLSTRY06
BBLSTRY07
BBLSTRY08
BBLSTRY09
BBLSTRY10
BDAG
BDB
BHRG
BKRC_2CO
BKRC_MK
BKRENCBIB
BKRENCYPSYC
BLDGSTRGFAM
BOOKSOT
BRC
BYZPRSD
CALTGLEX
CHASIDX
CICR
CNCSHAL
COED11
COS3
CPC_ACTS
CPC_REV
DARBY
DBLGREEK
DIAGANALYSIS
DICBBLTHEMES
DICTBBLSMITH

Posts 9199
LogosEmployee

Mark Kulikovsky:

By the way, it only seems to be doing checksums on the Logos 4 files and not the Logos 3 files - is that what you intended?

Yes--for now. It's very easy to get the internal resource IDs and versions out of the Logos 4 files, and a lot more complicated to extract them from the LBXLLS versions. Since I need to know that the IDs and versions are the same as the files here (to have any expectation that the checksums will match), I decided to do the simple case of just checking the Logos4 files (to see if they could have problems, and it turned out that they did).

Posts 62
Mark Kulikovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 11:45 PM

Okay Bradley - have deleted these files and will download them again and run another index. It would be helpful to know the other files that are also 'corrupt'. Hopefully this will resolve the problem.

Posts 9199
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 11:57 AM

Mark Kulikovsky:

It would be helpful to know the other files that are also 'corrupt'.

The attached document shows the 133 that have different checksums on your computer to the "official" versions here. (Again, only Logos4 resources are examined, not LBXLLS.) Deleting/moving all these files may allow the indexer to finish running.

[View:http://community.logos.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/76/7028.output.txt]

Posts 236
David R. McAllan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 12:33 PM

[View:http://community.logos.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/76/7268.ResourceChecksum.zip:550:0]

I do believe I have the same problem as Mark with the same scenario. My indexer shows that it completed indexing all the files, but crashed. I mention this in http://community.logos.com/forums/t/3921.aspx but have had no diagnostic response to my post there.  I have used Bradleigh's Resource Checksum tool and my results are above. Below are the logos files I had posted previously.

[View:http://community.logos.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/76/6153.Logos-Log-Files.zip:550:0]

David

Specs: Laptop Toshiba P30; P4 3.6 ghz; 2gb RAM; 128mb video card; running XP SP3, IE8.

BTW. My post here http://community.logos.com/forums/p/3626/27881.aspx#27881 may bear upon this problem

PS. I too am from "Down Under" - hope this is not an Aussie specific problem!

David
https://echucacommunitychurch.com

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020), 8 gig RAM, macOS Monterrey.

Posts 236
David R. McAllan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 1:09 PM

7776.ResourceChecksum.zip

4186.Logos Log Files.zip

I'm using IE8 instead of Firefox. Hopefully, they are now attached.

David

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 2:09 PM
I was having indexing errors repeatedly. I did two things and now indexing has been successful.

#1 I moved all the files to a new folder on a separate drive and made a junction point so Logos still thinks they are in the default location.

#2 I defragmented the drive.

It was probably the defrag that did it, but I as I had done both, I wanted to share both.
Posts 236
David R. McAllan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 7:34 PM

Sorry Don, I'm lost concerning the "junction point" you mentioned. How is that done?

David

Posts 62
Mark Kulikovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 1:26 AM

Hi Bradley

Sorry about the delay in response - I have been travelling for the last 24 hours and did not have access to my computer or the Internet. Thanks for the full list of corrupted files. I'll delete/move these resources and re-run the index and we'll see what happens. The re-index last night after removing the partial list you gave me still crashed (as I expected it would) but with far less errors in the early part of the file which seems to indicate that the corrupted files were indeed a problem. However, since all previous runs still said that the index had completed and THEN crashed, I won't know if you have identified the real problem until the next index completes in a  few hours. I'll repost once I have a result.

Thanks for your work on this

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 4:05 AM
David McAllan:

Sorry Don, I'm lost concerning the "junction point" you mentioned. How is that done?

I use a freely downloadable program called "Junction Link Magic". First make a new folder and move the resource files from the default location to the new folder. Then use "Junction Link Magic" to identify the original directory and point it to the new directory. This can put the resources on a different drive from the program. Sometimes this helps with performance.
Posts 62
Mark Kulikovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 1:38 AM

Bradley,

Good News. After re-downloading the corrupted files the index has finally worked without crashing (took just over 11 hours). I have attached the indexing log from the successful run because it still shows quite a few 'errors' and warnings and I want to know if I should be concerned about them. Messages like:

• Error   No lemma found for... 
  • Error   LogosResourceIndexer  Exception indexing ...
  • Warn   LogosResourceIndexer   Ignored xxx Invalid references for...
  • Error   Sinai.SinaiMessage err    Unable to read run type 13056.
  • Warn   Sinai.References    Found Invalid reference
  • Warn   LogosResourceIndexer    Can't load article ....
  • Warn   LogosResourceIndexer    Ignored x invalid references

I have also attached the latest checksum file after downloading the 133 corrupted resource files. I would like to know if any of them are still corrupted. I'd be happy to check them myself if you could post a file of valid checksums for all resources.

Thanks heaps for all your help. You did indeed identify the problem and the solution.Big Smile

1425.Successful Index121109.zip

Posts 9199
LogosEmployee

Mark Kulikovsky:

Good News. After re-downloading the corrupted files the index has finally worked without crashing (took just over 11 hours). I have attached the indexing log from the successful run because it still shows quite a few 'errors' and warnings and I want to know if I should be concerned about them. Messages like:

• Error   No lemma found for... 
  • Error   LogosResourceIndexer  Exception indexing ...
  • Warn   LogosResourceIndexer   Ignored xxx Invalid references for...
  • Error   Sinai.SinaiMessage err    Unable to read run type 13056.
  • Warn   Sinai.References    Found Invalid reference
  • Warn   LogosResourceIndexer    Can't load article ....
  • Warn   LogosResourceIndexer    Ignored x invalid references

I have also attached the latest checksum file after downloading the 133 corrupted resource files. I would like to know if any of them are still corrupted. I'd be happy to check them myself if you could post a file of valid checksums for all resources.

Thanks heaps for all your help. You did indeed identify the problem and the solution.Big Smile

Those warnings and errors are mostly for our book development departments (and probably should have been removed, or downgraded in severity before we released); you can ignore them.

From your latest checksum file, I show one file that's still bad: SCRTHOLY.logos4

I've attached the "official checksums", so that you can check it yourself.

[View:http://community.logos.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/76/2625.ResourceChecksum_2D00_Official.txt]

Posts 2
Ronald Ossenfort | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 11:27 PM

Hi Brad,

I have tried 3 installs and performed 2 uninstalls on my HP quad core desktop and highend model Dell laptop (all Vista).  I'm attempting to upgrade from Gold to Platinum... I have pretty much given up hope of a successful install.  My last call to customer support logged over 375 indexing errors... really had more than that ... I eventually have given up trying to get a good install as I have spent an enormous amount of time on these issues... I am now awaiting the DVD in the mail and will attempt an install from the DVD rather than downloading the files again... the indexing software continues to give me errors.  I never got my library indexed once...not even near apparently.

Brad.... do you know if I will have the same indexing issues with the DVD installation (when I get the DVD from Logos)??  The Logos customer service rep said it may be worth a try...since the files downloaded according to his words were corrupted (from what???)... I don't know and am not sure of anything anymore concerning the installation/fix/etc..  I'll admit here I'm a little confused by all this...

I am not sure what to do anymore...  Apparently my issue has been handed to a higher level (with the programmers I believe)...

Just curious about the DVD installation vs downloading the files if you know .... or will this still present the same indexing issues...  Best regards... Ron

Posts 9199
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 12:03 AM

RonaldOssenfort:

My last call to customer support logged over 375 indexing errors... really had more than that 

Hi Ron,

I was shown your log file yesterday by one of the tech support staff. You're one of a handful of customers (that we know of) who have resource files that have somehow become corrupted during the download process. (I may even have copied some resource files from your machine for further examination; if it was your machine I copied files from, I found that 0.000 014% of the resource file I examined was different from the official file on our servers. In technical terms, three bits in a 2.6MB file were flipped and different than they should have been. This, however, can be enough to cause problems when indexing.) We don't yet know the reason for this corruption; in general, the software and hardware used to transfer data from our servers to your computer have error-checking codes built in to stop this kind of problem. However, we can't rule out anything from a buggy "load balancer" with our servers to your network card overheating and causing data corruption; we just don't yet have enough information to pinpoint the cause of the problem.

If I remember correctly, the tech support person you talked to (Tommy, perhaps?) deleted the files that we detected as being corrupted. The DVD that you should be getting will have pristine copies of these file on it. When you install from the DVD, it will install the files that you are missing, without downloading them again and running the risk of corrupt data.

We're currently investigating this problem and gathering as much information as we can to determine exactly what's going wrong, and--once we know that--to put measures in place to prevent it happening.

Posts 62
Mark Kulikovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 12:14 AM

Hey Bradley

Do you want any examples of courrupted resource files to help with diagnosis? - I have 134 of them sitting in a folder which I was going to delete. I'll hold off in case you want some of them. If there are any particular ones you want, let me know.

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS