Help! No download files for L3 for the new Expositor's Bible (6 vols) on my order page

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 205
Stephen Paynter | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 6 2012 12:31 AM

Is this a new policy? If so ... how can I find the files to download?

A worried user of both L4 and L3.

(Also, will there every be perseus files for L3?)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 1:09 AM

Stephen Edward Paynter:

I can't say anything definitive regarding the Expositors' Bible since I didn't buy it, but in the past if you went to your orders page on the Logos site and find the item in your order and click on the order number it would take you to the page where you could download it to your computer.  It seems that this may have changed recently since I did that not too long ago with some other works.  BTW:  there should have been an attachment on the email from Logos which would accomplish this same thing.  If you don't have the email, you could go to ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks to download the file(s), but you will need to know the file name (it will differ from the L4 version only in its extension).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 218
John Nerdue | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 4:09 AM

I use L3 only and when I went to my order history thre was only instructions for L4 but in the email that was sent saying the order was filled thre was an update script for L3. Sync you licenses and run the script found in the email.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 7:50 AM

George Somsel:
If you don't have the email, you could go to ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks to download the file(s), but you will need to know the file name (it will differ from the L4 version only in its extension).

Expositor's Bible has 6 lbxlls resources that begin with EXBBL

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 1:20 PM

Stephen Edward Paynter:

I'm afraid Logos is becoming like a mix of Zondervan and Microsoft.  The bottom line is Logos is no longer interested in meeting the needs of those whom they see as stubornly refusing to use the new Logos 4.  If you look at your order sheet, you will see the resource listed as 6 files to be downloaded.  They don't name the files, they don't provide a link to the FTP site, and they have now removed the link on the update page which used to allow us to update by using the order number.  I think it's time to move on.  What a shame - Logos used to be so interested in meeting our needs.  That's what happens unfortunately when you get too big and the greed factor enters in.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 1:52 PM

Alex Scott:
I'm afraid Logos is becoming like a mix of Zondervan and Microsoft.  The bottom line is Logos is no longer interested in meeting the needs of those whom they see as stubornly refusing to use the new Logos 4.  If you look at your order sheet, you will see the resource listed as 6 files to be downloaded.  They don't name the files, they don't provide a link to the FTP site, and they have now removed the link on the update page which used to allow us to update by using the order number.  I think it's time to move on.  What a shame - Logos used to be so interested in meeting our needs.  That's what happens unfortunately when you get too big and the greed factor enters in.

Did you not get an update script for Libronix in the email that notified you of this upgrade? I did.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 1:55 PM

Alex Scott:
 That's what happens unfortunately when you get too big and the greed factor enters in.

Whoa there, pardner!  I doubt that greed has anything to do with it.  Do you suppose that Ford still produces parts for the Model A?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 2:13 PM

George Somsel:
but in the past if you went to your orders page on the Logos site and find the item in your order and click on the order number it would take you

George, All the invoices in my order history page have been stripped of the "download to previous versions" option. Not just the new invoices but all of them. Also looking at the "downloadable Libronix files" list (located after everything else on your order page,) you will notice as of 2012 you will not see Libronix file links added. The only place you can get an easy download if the attachment to the email you receive from Logos when it ships. The attachment is a script that starts the update like the invoice link used to do. Also, like you said; you can still manually search the ftp site, if you know the file names.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 2:22 PM

George Somsel:
Do you suppose that Ford still produces parts for the Model A?

The Federal government requires US automakers to maintain service parts for ten years after a model is retired. Somebody want to start gathering all Libronix files together and host 40GB for ten years hence? 

Time   I am still waiting to hear from CEO Bob to deny, correct or confirm the latest reports I have heard out of Bellingham.  Zip it!

Please Bob.Email  

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 27856
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 2:54 PM

Super Tramp:
Time   I am still waiting to hear from CEO Bob to deny, correct or confirm the latest reports I have heard out of Bellingham.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/43165/321638.aspx#321638

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 205
Stephen Paynter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 8:14 AM

Super Tramp:

George Somsel:
but in the past if you went to your orders page on the Logos site and find the item in your order and click on the order number it would take you

George, All the invoices in my order history page have been stripped of the "download to previous versions" option. Not just the new invoices but all of them. Also looking at the "downloadable Libronix files" list (located after everything else on your order page,) you will notice as of 2012 you will not see Libronix file links added. The only place you can get an easy download if the attachment to the email you receive from Logos when it ships. The attachment is a script that starts the update like the invoice link used to do. Also, like you said; you can still manually search the ftp site, if you know the file names.

In the past I always used the link on the orders page ... that is why I missed the attachment in the email. I worry how long there will be such attachments. This means a fundamental rethink on what I choose to buy electronically I'm afraid .... back to print for all books that don't really really benefit from being searchable. I feel burnt!

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 9:58 AM

Super Tramp:
Somebody want to start gathering all Libronix files together and host 40GB for ten years hence?
I might consider it...

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1814
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 10:13 AM

TCBlack:

Super Tramp:
Somebody want to start gathering all Libronix files together and host 40GB for ten years hence?
I might consider it...

That would be nice!

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 10:14 AM

TCBlack:

Super Tramp:
I might consider it...

I doubt that Logos will take down the ftp site with all of the files that are already there.   It is more likely that they will simply stop producing new L3 compatible resources.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 12488
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 11:09 AM

George Somsel:
doubt that Logos will take down the ftp site with all of the files that are already there.   It is more likely that they will simply stop producing new L3 compatible resources.

But then Bob would've probably communicated differently. After all, we already have a number of resources not running on L3 or even on non-recent versions of L4 (Perseus, Vyrso-books, some others (the high-definition commentaries?), I seem to remember Syriac resources they had to delay till the program was updated to run them...).

To everybody, it would sound much less frightening to say: "we won't produce new L3 resources anymore". Actually most L3-users would've expected that to happen sooner or later. And to say: "we won't produce any new L3 resources as from XX/XX/XXXX (future date), but we will maintain existing resources until YY/YY/YYYY (except for grave errors, such as missing chapters from an interlinear bible, where we'll try to help as long as we can), and will keep the ftp server at least until ZZ/ZZ/ZZZZ - the licence synchronization server we'll keep indefinedly or tell you well in advance if we should ever take it down. But don't expect any software updates should MS introduce future incompatibilities into IE10 or later" would have most of us just shrug shoulders. But that's not what Bob said - he actually didn't say much in detail anyway. And they pulled the stuff out without advance notice, this is what makes people nervous. I think, most people have L3 "just in case" for safety reasons (but I used to be proud of Logos to continue support for L3, which can be used by missionaries, by people less well-off and by Christians in persecuting countries). For me, it meant only that there is no update script for the Catholic Scholars upgrade (it wasn't in the mail and there are no single resource files for such a big thing in the orders history). No big deal. Either I get the files from the ftp, or not. But they unnecessarily destroyed lots of trust and confidence - which they needn't have if they just were calling off the L3-compatibility for future resources.

My 2c

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 11:18 AM

NewbieMick:

But then Bob would've probably communicated differently. After all, we already have a number of resources not running on L3 or even on non-recent versions of L4 (Perseus, Vyrso-books, some others (the high-definition commentaries?), I seem to remember Syriac resources they had to delay till the program was updated to run them...).

But those are the exceptions rather than the rule.  It sounds as though the same policy is to be extended to all resources.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 2:24 PM

George Somsel:
I doubt that Logos will take down the ftp site with all of the files that are already there.   It is more likely that they will simply stop producing new L3 compatible resources.
I would concur.  I find deleting the FTP server highly unlikely.  But I nevertheless have a copy, and have had for years though it isn't exactly up to date.

EDIT: see http://community.logos.com/forums/t/43165.aspx?PageIndex=4

Bob Pritchett:
we haven't taken down the FTP site, and have no plans to.
 Thus we have the answer.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2
Earl Opinion | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2012 6:26 PM

Yah, greed sets into the Software Bible industry

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS