Page 2 of 4 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 61 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 9 2010 9:12 PM

I'm just starting to learn arcing. Has anyone set up a visual filter to help aid them with arcing?

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 9 2010 9:21 PM

David Gullick:

I'm just starting to learn arcing. Has anyone set up a visual filter to help aid them with arcing?

I don't think a visual filter will give you what you're asking for. Arcing deals much more with semantics--for example, how is this participle used in this clause. You could set up a visual filter to flag certain constructions you were interested in. Here's one I set up. I played with this a bit, but didn't find that it really helped that much--YMMV.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 188
Si | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 10 2010 7:20 AM

Jacob Hantla:

There is no diagramming yet in logos 4. I hope that they give us the ability to do arcing well when they implement diagramming down the road.

More about arcing can be found at

You can find a free PDF of Schreiner's chapter on "Tracing the Argument" (or "Arcing") at the SBTS website http://www.sbts.edu/documents/tschreiner/book_IPE_chapter6.pdf .  I learned this method from Schreiner himself in Intro to the NT: Acts-Rev at Seminary.  This has proved to be an invaluable tool in exegesis, and I would love for it to be incorporated in Logos.  However, there are two ways to trace the relationships between propositions: bracketing and arcing (see Schreiner).  Schreiner uses brackets, so I learned how to trace the argument with brackets.  I tried using the arcs on www.biblearc.com, but could not visually see the relationships.  Therefore, if this is in fact incorporated, please incorporate both bracketing and arcing.    

Posts 880
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 18 2010 11:23 PM

It would be good to have an arcing correspondence of HDNT.

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2011 10:59 PM

I also wish that Logos had a built in Arcing plugin or module.

I use biblearc.com, but I wish my arcs were accessible within Logos, and maybe even linked to the portion of scripture that is arc'd

Posts 188
Si | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 7:35 AM

Ryan:
I also wish that Logos had a built in Arcing plugin or module.

The sentence diagram module can actually be used for arcing (or tracing the argument).  Choose text flow diagram and the passage you wish to arc or trace, then you will be able to break up the propositions and connect them with arcs or brackets.  Labeling the connections requires typing out the appropriate letters and moving them to their designated location.  It really works quite well, though I wish that Logos would include the proposition labels as prefigured options like biblearc.com.  I use it for all of my arcing/tracing.

Posts 9914
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 7:52 AM

Si Cochran:

The sentence diagram module can actually be used for arcing (or tracing the argument).  Choose text flow diagram and the passage you wish to arc or trace, then you will be able to break up the propositions and connect them with arcs or brackets.  Labeling the connections requires typing out the appropriate letters and moving them to their designated location.  It really works quite well, though I wish that Logos would include the proposition labels as prefigured options like biblearc.com.  I use it for all of my arcing/tracing.

Sinve I don't recall having heard of this method before (thanks for the link to Schreiner's pdf) and others who know it don't see how the Logos sentence diagramming can be used for it, may I ask you to post a screenshot or two, to show us how it looks? If you don't mind, you can also post a diagram of an "arced" sentence, as others do for the diagrams, to get the feel of it. 

Thanks, Mick 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 188
Si | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 10:14 AM

NewbieMick:

Si Cochran:

Sinve I don't recall having heard of this method before (thanks for the link to Schreiner's pdf) and others who know it don't see how the Logos sentence diagramming can be used for it, may I ask you to post a screenshot or two, to show us how it looks? If you don't mind, you can also post a diagram of an "arced" sentence, as others do for the diagrams, to get the feel of it. 

Thanks, Mick 

For an explanation of Tracing/Arcing, see John Piper's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYcsXanMlvM&feature=player_embedded.  Piper also has a free booklet on Tracing/Arcing in PDF format http://cdn.desiringgod.org/pdf/booklets/BTBX.pdf.  The BibleArc website has some helpful tutorial videos and examples http://www.biblearc.com.  With Piper and others, I cannot fully express the value of this method for understanding the biblical text, particularly in epistolary literature.  Thus, this is a method worth learning, and will bear much exegetical fruit.  The method is really best learned by doing.  The very best way to accomplish this, is to Trace/Arc the biblical text and compare your work with others who know the method.  This is where the examples of BibleArc.com come in handy.  After doing this for a time, you will begin to understand the method.

In order to Trace/Arc in Logos, create a new Diagram File:

Choose the Text Flow diagram option and enter in the desired text.  Click insert when done.

Your screen will look like this:

Move the column width to provide room from the brackets.

Move the biblical text to the far right and center the Scripture reference:

Begin to break up the propositions and label each proposition by verse # and then in alphabetical order (to distinguish each proposition of the same verse).

The process continues like this:

And so on......

Until you have broken up all the propositions.  

You then use the brackets (or arcs if you so prefer) to the left to connect the propositions.  In order to extend the bracket lines, you use the line tool (it looks like a slash). You label the propositions by clicking on the capitol T and dragging each label to the bracket face.  The final product looks like this:

I don't really know how to upload my actual files.  If someone could explain how to do this in Mac OSX, I could provide more examples.   

Posts 9914
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 10:35 AM

Wow, this is awesome! Many thanks!

Mick

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 10:46 AM

Si Cochran:
I don't really know how to upload my actual files.  If someone could explain how to do this in Mac OSX, I could provide more examples.   

Great post Si Cochran!

We can't share user-generated file yet, but Logos has said that it's on the planned features list.

Posts 9914
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 10:51 AM

Kevin Becker:

We can't share user-generated file yet, but Logos has said that it's on the planned features list.

I think others (e.g. Terry Cook) do it by sharing the L3 version of the file, which can be read into L4. I think there is a wiki page here http://wiki.logos.com/Loading_Logos_3_Sentence_Diagrams_into_Logos_4 explaining it.

Mick

Posts 188
Si | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 10:52 AM

NewbieMick:

Wow, this is awesome! Many thanks!

Mick

You are welcome!  I love promoting tracing/arcing because it has benefited me greatly.  

Posts 188
Si | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 10:59 AM

NewbieMick:

Kevin Becker:

I think others (e.g. Terry Cook) do it by sharing the L3 version of the file, which can be read into L4. I think there is a wiki page here http://wiki.logos.com/Loading_Logos_3_Sentence_Diagrams_into_Logos_4 explaining it.

Mick

However, my files were created in L4.  Wouldn't this only work if the files were created in L3?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 11:01 AM

Si Cochran:

NewbieMick:

Kevin Becker:

Mick

However, my files were created in L4.  Wouldn't this only work if the files were created in L3?

Yes

Posts 9914
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 11:03 AM

Si Cochran:
my files were created in L4.  Wouldn't this only work if the files were created in L3?

Actually, I don't know whether the sentence diagrams sync between L3 and L4. I will try later when I'm at home (or rather, at the speed this forum works, I expect someone "in the know" will chime in and answer this better than I could)  

EDIT: actually someone chimed in faster than I could type my reply Smile

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 1:27 PM

I feel like such a dolt, I never even knew about this Sentence Diagramming feature. Holy smokes, this is awesome. Thanks so much for that post Si Cochran.

Posts 9914
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 1:58 PM

Si Cochran:
 I love promoting tracing/arcing because it has benefited me greatly.  

Your detailed instruction is really awesome - I think it should be converted to a wiki page on Arcing as a feature of sentence diagramming. Then future users of Logos don't need to find this thread, but the information is available to refer to.

Mick

Posts 188
Si | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 20 2011 10:21 AM

NewbieMick:

Si Cochran:
 I love promoting tracing/arcing because it has benefited me greatly.  

Your detailed instruction is really awesome - I think it should be converted to a wiki page on Arcing as a feature of sentence diagramming. Then future users of Logos don't need to find this thread, but the information is available to refer to.

Mick

While I have edited wikis, I have never created one.  If someone would like to turn my tracing/arcing instructions into a wiki page, I would have no problem with that.  

Posts 1132
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 14 2012 8:34 PM

I just stumbled upon this post while trying to make arcs in a word doc and then put them into Logos through the personal book tool! I had no idea that Logos already had the ability to arc! My problem is, that I have the Leader's Library and it does not support sentence diagramming. Does anyone know if there is a way to get sentence diagramming apart from purchasing the $300 scholars library upgrade (since all I want is the sentence diagramming tool)?

Also, the reason I wanted to get into arcing was to create a document that can passage link with an open commentary or Bible. With the sentence diagramming tool in Logos is it possible to create a huge document (containing all of the NT) and scripture link it to open resources to have it follow along?

Posts 9914
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 15 2012 2:37 AM

Liam Walsh:
My problem is, that I have the Leader's Library and it does not support sentence diagramming. Does anyone know if there is a way to get sentence diagramming apart from purchasing the $300 scholars library upgrade (since all I want is the sentence diagramming tool)?

There used to be some small so-called "Addins", originally produced for Libronix / L3. These gave people the opportunity to selectively buy functionality at a very reasonable cost (some 15-20 USD, if I recall correct). I'm not sure if Sentence Diagramming was part of one of these, but I do think so. The cool thing is, buying one of these unlocked the feature not only for L3 but also for L4.

The problem is, Logos took the Addins from the website. You'd probably need to call them and ask for it.

Good Luck!

Page 2 of 4 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS