RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 8:16 PM

Joshua G:
God clearly exists.

You got that right!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1
Nev Billett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 28 2021 2:56 PM

The past tense "created" in His image carries with it the common belief that Adam was 'perfect' and 'fell' through disobedience because of mankind's so called free will.

"Creating" is a much better translation because it denotes God's purpose in the on going development of man into the full measure of the stature of Jesus Christ at the end of the ages, in complete subjection 1 Corinthians 15:22-28.

God cannot be righteous and impute guilt to another because of someone else's disobedience/sin. Man sinned by God's design because they were not given complete knowledge of good and evil so it was inevitable man would "miss the mark" , make mistakes/sin  Romans 11:32 " For God has imprisoned everyone in disobedience so that He can have mercy on everyone ".

Do you think God couldn't have "created " man in His image at the outset , incapable of sinning as He is . Between man and God it is God alone who has free will . Only a fool would dispute that God has free will and He never sins/makes mistakes, because He is all knowing. Therefore to say God couldn't have made man incapable of sinning but had to give man free will or he would be a robot incapable of knowing true love is ludicrous because God has free will, is incapable of sinning and is Love.

God has designed man to progress through evil, suffering , tribulation and good to form them into His purified glorified purpose.

Ecclesiastes 1:13 " It is an experience of evil (ra) Elohim has given to the sons of humanity to humble them by it ".

I don't want to write a novel detailing the above , so i suggest reading A P Adams ' the Spirit of the Word ' or You Tube channels  The Total Victory of Christ or Tommy's Truth Talk where one can learn the true Gospel message and gain links to scholars/theologians who understand God's plan of the ages.

Posts 33271
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 29 2021 2:07 PM

Nev Billett:
God cannot

Welcome to the forums. Did you notice that you have resurrected a thread from nine years ago ... and responded to a delightful forum user who has been dead for several years? 

Please read the forum guidelines - these forums are about software and resources not theology and exegesis

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Please abide by the following guidelines as you interact on our forums.

1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.
  2. Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics. Use one of the many web forums intended for these kinds of discussions.
  3. Please treat each other with the love, courtesy, respect, and kindness that you would if you were sitting in your living room together.
  4. Please do not use our forums to
    • sell or give away anything or link to anything you’re selling or giving away—including Logos products
    • promote or link to competitors
    • promote affiliate links or discounts
    • point people to other places that sell Logos-compatible products
    • advertise yourself, your business, your ministry, your website, etc. (a tasteful link in your forum signature is acceptable)
    • post Logos Coupon Codes. If you are aware of a special promotion Logos is running online, you are welcome to link directly to the promotion.
  5. Please search before posting. It’s likely that someone has already asked your question.
  6. Please help others follow these guidelines. If the problems continue after you’ve given a gentle reminder of these expectations, please click “Report Abuse” under “More” or send an email to forums@logos.com. If a user is a repeat offender, we may temporarily suspend their account. If the offenses continue, we reserve the right to permanently ban the offender's account from the forums either by shadow banning it or blocking it entirely.

Thank you for your cooperation. Enjoy discussing and learning about Logos Bible Software.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5419
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2021 3:50 AM

I wish Vincent was still around.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 182
Bill Coley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2021 11:42 AM

MJ, given the content of the forum guidelines to which you asked the poster Nev Billet to abide - specifically, its proscription against discussions of "biblical, theological, or other controversial subjects" - isn't most of this thread, including several of your own contributions to it, in violation of them? That is, isn't it about five pages of posts too late to advise posters, including yourself, not to discuss what you've been discussing?

Posts 107
Greg Dement | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2021 3:08 PM

MJ, although I personally think you do a great job on this forum and balancing everything (at least in my opinion), you did come across unnecessarily harsh to a new member on their first post. Not at all endorsing their point of view or am I disputing that they stepped outside of forum guidelines regarding theology discussions.

- Is there an expiration date for an old thread? Isn’t it actually encouraged in the guidelines to search a topic before you start a new thread?

- Is there any way the new member could have known about the other member passing?

Seemed a little flagrant to respond the way you did. I apologize if I am misinterpretIns your tone but if you read it through the eyes of a new member on their first post and the “welcome to the forum” you may see how it came across.

Posts 5419
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2021 3:59 PM

Bill Coley:

MJ, given the content of the forum guidelines to which you asked the poster Nev Billet to abide - specifically, its proscription against discussions of "biblical, theological, or other controversial subjects" - isn't most of this thread, including several of your own contributions to it, in violation of them? That is, isn't it about five pages of posts too late to advise posters, including yourself, not to discuss what you've been discussing?

In MJ's defense, this thread goes way back, and though I think there had been some pushback against theological discussions at the time, I don't think it had gelled into the current status quo quite yet. I don't see anything wrong about letting a newbie know that the ways of yesteryear are no longer the ways of today.

As far as Greg's comment is concerned, yeah, a newbie couldn't know SuperTramp was no longer with us. Again, I think she was just pointing out that reviving very old threads isn't necessarily the most productive way to engage a new (to the user) forum. I suspect that Nev did a search on a topic that popped this old thread into the results. Nev might well be a one-and-gone participant. It's probably for the best, because there are at least a couple of comments she made that seem dubious to me, and I was reaching for my bear gun. Angel

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 182
Bill Coley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2021 4:41 PM

David Paul:

In MJ's defense, this thread goes way back, and though I think there had been some pushback against theological discussions at the time, I don't think it had gelled into the current status quo quite yet. I don't see anything wrong about letting a newbie know that the ways of yesteryear are no longer the ways of today.

I take your point, David; thanks.

MJ, I withdraw my commentary about the content of this thread and your role in its creation. Perhaps a note to Nev Billet that identified the evolution of the forums' expectations regarding theological discussions since this thread's birth would have been a helpful addition to your response (though, apparently I would have missed that note, too!)

Posts 33271
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2021 6:39 PM

Greg Dement:
but if you read it through the eyes of a new member on their first post and the “welcome to the forum” you may see how it came across.

I take your point under advisement ... but it is a stretch for me to understand how it came across to you; it is not how I have come to expect people to respond. It is my experience that in forums that do not explicitly close threads, that there is an informal understanding that one doesn't go back at least 4 versions of the software (2 year cycle) to make comments... although people occasionally do so for a "do you remember" walk down memory lane.

Greg Dement:
- Is there any way the new member could have known about the other member passing?

Of course not, I was illustrating how reviving the thread revived memories, not the topic -- I mean, seriously, who is going to read through 8 pages of posts to orient themselves in a 9 year old thread? And given that it is more likely they got to the thread via a search rather than through the forums, it seemed to me and orientation to the forums as about software and resources was in order - not as a reprimand but as an orientation of what they have stepped into.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 5 of 5 (89 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS