Mac Air 11 vs.13

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 97
Al | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 14 2012 10:01 AM

I apologize if this has been answered, but I didn't see it in a search.

Does anyone have any experience using/comparing the 11 inch vs. 13 inch Mac Air? Specifically, if you have an 11 inch Air, do you feel that your screen space is adequate for using Logos? Also, any feelings about the keyboard difference between the 11 and 13?

I'm looking at getting a new notebook (always been a PC person, so very little exposure to Apple computers). I'd probably be getting 4gb RAM, 256GB SSD, and an i7 processor.

Thanks.

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 10:17 AM

Al Bastin:

Does anyone have any experience using/comparing the 11 inch vs. 13 inch Mac Air? 

Dear Al,

I have just moved from a PC to a MBA 13" with 256 SSD and the i5 processor. There is some discussion of mine and other users L4 experience on the MBA here,

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/43120/321198.aspx#321198

In summary, most users report a very positive experience. I personally will not be going back to a PC having used Logos on an MBA. Ludicrously, it runs faster than on my power PC for most things.

I have not used an 11" MBA enough to give a definitive opinion. I ended up going with the 13" because I value the additional real estate and the 13" is still very light and very portable for my purposes.

In short, I love my MBA and I love using it to work on L4.

Let us know what you decide to go with. I am sure other uses will value your report.

God bless,

Andy

Posts 97
Al | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 10:21 AM

Andy, thanks.

I didn't use "MBA" in the search box, I'm sure I would have pulled up useful info like yours.

Thanks again.

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 10:29 AM

Al Bastin:

I didn't use "MBA" in the search box, I'm sure I would have pulled up useful info like yours.

No problem at all. If you go with the MBA 11", it would be good to have a distinct thread which records your experience for future users.

Posts 97
Al | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 10:31 AM

I probably will go with the 13, but honestly, I was salivating over both of them yesterday when I was visiting the Apple store.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 10:31 AM

I use a 13" MacBook Pro and in all honesty, I wouldn't want to go much smaller given the amount of reading from the screen you do with Logos.  I was in the Apple Store the other day looking at the 11" MacBook Air and I did think the screen looked incredibly small - it was bordering on being netbook-sized.  That said, if you did go for the smaller MacBook Air, you could always connect it to an external monitor for greater screen size when you're at home or in the office.

[EDIT: Get the largest amount of RAM and HD space you can afford since I don't think you can upgrade the hardware yourself with a MacBook Air.]

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 10:33 AM

Al Bastin:

I probably will go with the 13, but honestly, I was salivating over both of them yesterday when I was visiting the Apple store.

To be honest, they are so light you could probably comfortably carry both... Which is a thought.

Imagine it, Pages open on the 11" and L4 on the 13"...Wink

Posts 97
Al | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 11:50 AM

Thanks, Paul, for the helpful info.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 1:16 PM

Paul Clarke:
[EDIT: Get the largest amount of RAM and HD space you can afford since I don't think you can upgrade the hardware yourself with a MacBook Air.]

MacBook Air RAM is surface mounted to motherboard so to upgrade means motherboard replacement.  In contrast, SSD can be upgraded.  The "I Fix It" web site has repair guides with photos => http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/MacBook_Air

Apple refurbished MacBook Air models include some July 2011 => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air (have seen a 13" MacBook Air with i7 for $ 1,439)

MacRumors has a buyer's guide => http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ that includes a rumor article about 15" MacBook Air.  Looking forward to MacBook Air model refreshes later this year; personally not know if Apple will ship 15" MacBook Air (with screen resolution similar to 17" MacBook Pro)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 1:23 PM

Al Bastin:
I'm looking at getting a new notebook (always been a PC person, so very little exposure to Apple computers). I'd probably be getting 4gb RAM, 256GB SSD, and an i7 processor.

Currently 4 GB is the maximum RAM for MacBook Air models.  Logos 4 is resource intensive on Mac & PC – benefits from fast processor, graphics, and disk along with adequate memory (i.e. newer hardware since Logos 4 being designed for use over 5 to 8 years).

Option: visit an Apple Store for hands-on experience => http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/  Apple rates store employees on quality time with customers, especially answering questions.

Wiki has  Logos 4 Mac => Mini FAQ that includes:

New to Mac OS X?

Apple has Mac OS X Applications and Utilities plus hundreds of How-To Tutorials. Apple Support includes Mac 101Switch 101 and Keyboard shortcuts. For OS X Lion, Apple Support includes Recovery (with how to install on a new drive)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 6:45 PM

In the next month i should be getting my hands on a macbook air for a couple weeks. I will be playing around with it , it will be an 11" and I will tell you how things look on it when I have it. And let you know ow it compares to my 2010 i7 15" 2.66ghz/8 GB ram.

-dan

Posts 97
Al | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 7:00 PM

Dan,

That would be great. I'm not planning on purchasing for another few months.

Al

Posts 492
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 11:16 PM

I have an 11" MBA (1.8 ghz i7, 256 SSD). Logos 4.x has never been overly zippy on the Mac in my experience, but the performance is better on my MBA than that on my previous 2.8 ghz Core 2 MacBook Pro.

I've really enjoyed the compact size of my 11" MBA. It's got a small footprint and is easy to carry, but the keyboard is full-sized. I have external monitors that I connect it to both at home and at my office, so I'm really not limited at all.

The only real drawback for me is the small amount of space in the SSD. When the larger one at OWC comes down in price, I have no doubt I'll upgrade it.

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 97
Al | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 6:40 PM

R,

How does the 11 inch screen work for you when that's all you have? Much problem with seeing/using L4?

Posts 492
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 7:18 PM

I deleted my initial reply and am going to attempt full size screenshots. Here is my full screen. I'm going to attempt to attach two screenshots that can be enlarged to the full 1366 x 768 of my MBA's screen.

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 97
Al | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2012 7:28 AM

Looks good, thanks.

Posts 1
Ryan Wallace | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 12:04 PM

I use the 11" Macbook Air.  Unfortunately I purchased the upgraded 1.6GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB version and not the new i5.  The screen size isn't a huge issue with me since I typically hook it up to a external monitor for intensive use.  However, the processor is a little sluggish on this thing and I experience issues fairly frequently.  I've done all the recommended tweeks to help make it as fast as can be, but Logos is a resource hog and this one borderline cuts it.  Definitely get the new generation (i5, upgraded graphics, etc).  

If I had to do it all over again, I would purchase the 13" air with a 1.7ghz i5 processor or higher...just my opinion.

Posts 492
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 12:25 PM

Actually, go with the i7. Faster/more powerful is always better. I strongly recommend the 1.8 Ghz i7 that I got in my 11" MBA. It also uses 384 MB of RAM (out of 4 GB) for video, which is better than the base model, which only uses 256. Both the 11" and the 13" can be purchased with the i7 processor, and it's well worth the extra cost in my opinion. 

The high end models of the MBA (4GB RAM, 1.8 Ghz i7, 256 SSD) can be purchased with educational discounts for $1549 (11") and $1639 (13"). I can't imagine any regret for spending a little more.

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 12:45 PM

Ryan Wallace:

I use the 11" Macbook Air.  Unfortunately I purchased the upgraded 1.6GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB version and not the new i5.  The screen size isn't a huge issue with me since I typically hook it up to a external monitor for intensive use.  However, the processor is a little sluggish on this thing and I experience issues fairly frequently.  I've done all the recommended tweeks to help make it as fast as can be, but Logos is a resource hog and this one borderline cuts it.  Definitely get the new generation (i5, upgraded graphics, etc).

If I had to do it all over again, I would purchase the 13" air with a 1.7ghz i5 processor or higher...just my opinion.

Welcome Big Smile

Concur Logos 4 is more responsive using 2nd Generation Intel Core i5 or i7.

R. Mansfield:
The high end models of the MBA (4GB RAM, 1.8 Ghz i7, 256 SSD) can be purchased with educational discounts for $1549 (11") and $1639 (13"). I can't imagine any regret for spending a little more.

Albeit, spending less may allow for more Logos resource purchases; Apple has refurbished high end 2011 MacBook Air models with same warranty as new:

$ 1,399 (11" i7 with 256 GB SSD) => Refurbished MacBook Air 1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 

$ 1,439 (13" i7 with 256 GB SSD) => Refurbished MacBook Air 1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i7

Apple also has some refurbished 2011 MacBook Air models with 4 GB RAM and 2nd Generation Core i5 CPU's: 

$    999 (11" i5 with 128 GB SSD) => Refurbished MacBook Air 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5

$ 1,099 (13" i5 with 128 GB SSD) => Refurbished MacBook Air 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3
Wess Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 23 2012 6:58 AM

I have moved from a 13" Macbook to an 11" Macbook Air & Love it! My wife uses the 13" MacBook Pro. I too was concerned prior to purchase with the difference in screen size, I wear glasses and prefer larger font sizes etc. I really can't tell the difference between the two while I am using either one. In fact we don't own a TV, however we watch different shows from Hulu & watch them from the 11"air with bluetooth sound through a BOSE Compact L-1 I have the new 1.6 GHz i-5 with 4 GB Memory

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS