Mac Air 11 vs.13

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 29720
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 23 2012 7:21 AM

Welcome to the forums, Wess! Thanks for sharing your experience.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 190
EmileB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 23 2012 8:01 AM

Hi Wess! 13 Air here. Concur with previous posts in reference to good performance. Can use external monitors on either, so screen real estate need not be an issue, although for running disconnected, 13 has advantages over the 11 on the eyes. Primary issue with these machines are the SSD and the RAM... max them both, for sure... do NOT compromise here, it just is not worth it and you will have regrets... but you should have no problem with Logos with a maxed Air. I would opt for whichever you can afford that has the most RAM/biggest SSD (I also did a refurb purchase... saved hundreds and it is as new... could buy resources instead with the savings. Apple is profitable enough). One consideration of 13 no one else has mentioned is sd card slot on 13 absent on 11. Nice to have, especially when traveling, or depending on your applications. Best wishes!!! (As a recent convert to Mac and long time stubborn hold out, I confess... You'll never want to go back to PC!).

Posts 93
Fabrice | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 12:56 AM

Hey, I just bought the Mac Air 13" 128 GB :-)

I have a question though : How do you transfer the Logos Software from my iMac ? Time Machine will make it possible maybe, or via a cable? I can't afford downloading it again cause I've reached the 4GB download here. Any advice? that would be welcome :-) 

Posts 5424
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 12:59 AM

Hi Fabrice

There is a section in the Wiki about transferring libraries between Macs.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 29720
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 4:30 AM

Here is the link that Mike mentioned:

http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_Multiple_Macs

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2012 9:16 PM

Al Bastin:

Dan,

That would be great. I'm not planning on purchasing for another few months.

Al

Here is a comparison between my 2010 2.66GHz i7 15 inch Macbook Pro with 8GB and a current 11 inch i5 1.6 Ghz macbook air with 4GB. NOTE: this is a bit of an apple orange thing since I have the latest beta on my MBP (4.5a Beta 2 ) and latest release (4.5 SR-2) on the MBA. I made sure no applications were running in the back ground on either machine. Initial start up (from the click of the icon to the musical tone finishes playing  the MBP took 23 Seconds vs. 26 seconds on the MBA. In the starting box typing Psalm 1 and hitting the Go button till everything was populated in the study windows was  23 seconds on the MBA and 31 seconds on the MBP, which surprised me a bit but then it is a beta version or possibly the SSD on the MBA gave it the advantage. All in all I can say the MBA has been running Logos very nicely and in a few years when I get a new computer the AIR will likely be my computer. The screen is nice and crisp and I didn't mind the smaller screen at all. I do think the screen is less than ideal for the default 5 window layout but felt equally the same on my 15". I do not think you will have any regrets no matter which MacBook you end up getting… the 11 is so nice and light.

-Dan

Posts 93
Fabrice | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2012 5:51 PM

Thanks Mike and Alabama. That help is useful. God bless you

Posts 12
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2012 12:01 AM

I'm running Proclaim on a 17" MBP with 16GB of ram and the screen barely big enough for my tastes.  Then again I'm a size junky, having worked with audio and video editing software.  I certainly couldn't stand editing services on an 11" and would only use a 13" if I had to.  I would recommend the 15" MBP and up because of the video card in the 15" is the same high performance one as in the 17"  Better video card - smoother transitions and backgrounds.

Posts 16
Donald E. Stidwell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 7:55 PM

Just to add my 2 cents here. I used to own a 13" MacBook Pro  wound up selling it because I considered it to be too big and heavy. I wanted very light and very portable. It was an older model - 2008 or 2009 IIRC. The latest generation of MBAs (2011) was the first generation of MBA that I considered worth owning, and the 11" is exactly the size and weight that I want. I bought the i5, 4 GB, 128 GB SSD model and I find it perfect for my needs. It has a high resolution screen and even though I wear glasses and will turn 60 this year, I still find don't have any problem reading the screen on this version. 

I'm not a power user of Logos by any means, but I am finding that the SSD makes a huge difference in performance, so much so that I'm seriously considering replacing the hard drive in my 2011 Mac Mini with an SSD. Logos starts up quicker on my MBA than my Mini and all disk based operations are noticeably quicker on the MBA due to the SSD. 

I can't really make any recommendations on whether to go with the 13" or 11" but the main point I wanted to make is that if you have good vision (or good glasses!) the 11" is perfectly useable and not in any way inferior. I'm ecstatic with mine.

Posts 50
Ron Newberry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2012 2:25 PM

Just went from a 15" toshiba to a 13" MBA.  I find the screen very readable and clear.  I have 128SSD and use the 1.7Ghz and i5 processor.  Best purchase I have ever made in a computer.

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2012 2:33 PM

Ron Newberry:
Best purchase I have ever made in a computer.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for sharing this feedback. I recently made the jump from a PC to the 13" MBA and found the experience and advice of fellow Logos users really helpful indeed.

By the way, I absolutely agree with you. The MBA is the best computer I have ever owned. I am delighted with it.

God bless,

Andy

Posts 29720
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2012 3:15 PM

Andy Evans:
The MBA is the best computer I have ever owned. I am delighted with it.

Yes I am thinking about getting one for my wife (after I get a job Tongue Tied). She just started work on her Master's degree and has never owned a "new" computer.

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS