Could I Give Away My Old Calvin and Wesley Collections?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2877
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 16 2012 8:45 AM

I had the old version of Calvin's Commentaries, and I purchased the newer set.  Now I have both in my Logos Library.  Is there really any value in keepting the old set, too?  I haven't noticed any differences.

Also, I have the old set of Wesley's Works (the Ages edition), and I intend to buy the new edition that Logos is publishing.  I believe that set will include the same Jackson edition, as well as some new material.  Correct?  Could I not give the old edition to someone who needs it, but can't afford the new one? 

I can't remember for certain exactly how I purchased these as it was years ago.  I think that perhaps included with the Wesley's Works was some Adam Clarke and John Fletcher material.  I definately would not want to give that up.  Could I give someone license to the old Wesley's Works, but retain the Adam Clarke / John Fletcher material? 

It just seems a shame that if have duplicates of material I could not share them with someone who needs it.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 9:10 AM

Michael Childs:
I had the old version of Calvin's Commentaries, and I purchased the newer set. 

Michael, The technicalities of this one can't be answered without knowing about your original licenses and upgrade path (if any.) In other words, it will probably require some Customer Service help looking into your account history.

When the Calvin 500 material was coming out of Pre-Pub, I mistakenly thought I was entitled to an upgrade price because I already had Calvin's Commentaries. The resource I did have was a PBB set, so I did not get the discount.

When Logos offered the Wesley set there was a discounted upgrade price for users who already had the Ages version of the resources (there were other authors Ages published that qualified for similar discounts.)  If you received a discounted price on your new set, you have already traded in the license for your old set. At least that is the way it was explained to me.  When Zondervan moved their products into Logos they offered a cross-grade discount to Pradis users. That special never required users to relinquish or destroy their Pradis software.  The old Libronix based resources published by E4 were "given away" for just a shipping & handling fee. Since no license was "purchased" Logos does not seem to consider those resources for upgrade credit. 

With all these different ways resource licenses have been handled, only Logos can give you  

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9468
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 9:12 AM

The only times you can't do this are when you purchase an upgrade to a collection. Usually you get a better price because you had the earlier edition. Otherwise a call to Customer Support is usually all that is needed and $20 per call (regardless of how many resources are being transferred at that time).

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 134
L.D. Young | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 12:49 PM

Michael Childs:

It just seems a shame that if have duplicates of material I could not share them with someone who needs it.

It all sounds confusing to me so I guess I don't have anything to contribute toward an answer for Michael but I did want to comment on Michael's willingness to share something he's no longer using.

Lately I've been feeling a little discouraged when reading the forums  There's getting to be too much fighting, snide remarks and complaining for a forum made up of people who are supposedly studying God's Wod.  It was refreshing see a brother actually put into practice what he's learned.

You have a good heart Michael. Thanks for brightening my day in the forums! Yes

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 1:03 PM

Can I have them pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase???? (I said please) Big Smile

Posts 2877
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 3:06 PM

Francis:

Can I have them pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase???? (I said please) Big Smile

Well, Francis, since you were the first to ask, I would be happy for you to have my Old Calvin Commentaries (assuming they contain no material not in the newer edition), if Logos is agreeable.  However, I think that I did get a little discount on the new edition. I really don't remember.  So that may not be possible.  I am willing to ask.

The new Wesley edition has not yet been released, and is just a bit short of production, so that would have to wait.  And there is a $50 credit on those for having the Ages set.  That may be a problem.

So it just may not be possible.  I had not considered that I got a discount for having the older set.  I just wanted somebody to have use of them.  Not trying to cause a problem.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 18 2012 12:24 PM

Since it pertains to your licenses, I cannot ask on your behalf. You would have to call customer service and they could tell you either way...

Posts 2877
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 18 2012 3:05 PM

Francis:

Since it pertains to your licenses, I cannot ask on your behalf. You would have to call customer service and they could tell you either way...

Francis,

I called customer service, and they said we can't do it.  I did get a discount when I upgraded the Calvin Commentaries, and will get a discount on the Wesley set.  I had not considered that when I raised the question.  There was also a problem because I bought the old Calvin and Wesley so long ago - more than 10 years ago - that I am not sure where the cd's are.  I probably could dig them up, but the discounts mean there is no point in it.

Sorry.  It just seemed a waste to have duplicates of such helpful programs.

Posts 19189
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 18 2012 3:14 PM

Michael Childs:
Sorry.  It just seemed a waste to have duplicates of such helpful programs.

Too bad you can't give them away, but you can hide them (drag them from the Library to the Hidden Resources section under Program Settings), and then they won't be in your way during searches and such.

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 6:37 AM

Thanks Michael.... it was almost Christmas again, almost. Gift

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS