Revelation Commentaries - this one will need lots of new bidders

Page 1 of 3 (52 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 51 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 20 2012 10:33 AM

As many of you know, the set of Revelation commentaries has been 'stuck' for a long time, with a lower and higher peak. The higher peak is set at a price which is not much less than fully published commentaries sets are going for (and actually about the same if one has the academic discount), and therefore it is not too surprising that no one has jumped on the higher peak for a while. However, the higher peak appears to be discouraging bids at the lower peak, as people see the higher price and move on.

The book of Revelation is a unique book in the NT, and I personally would love to see this set come into production, as I'm sure many others would. For those of you who have not bid, but yet would like to see this set, the only way forward is for enough bidders to go in at the lower bidding peak until it dislodges the higher peak. 

In my opinion, this set is worth it just for Elliot alone, which was THE definitive historicist commentary back when historicism was still a popular hermeneutical option among Protestants. 

Hort's work is still very important, especially on the question of the dating of Revelation (Hort defends the early date). 

The Antichrist Legend by Bousset is the third reason I personally would love to see this set in publication. Bousset traces the antichrist motif all the way back to ancient Mesopotamia. 

Also worthy of note is William Kelly's work. Kelly was a contemporary of Darby, whom he follows in the main contours of this classic dispensational work written from a Plymouth Brethren perspective. Seiss was also a contemporary of Darby and was influenced by the Plymouth Brethren. He wrote his dispensational commentary as a Lutheran.

http://www.logos.com/product/8522/classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-revelation

Posts 298
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2012 11:14 AM

O.K., you convinced me, I bid $50.00.  I am one of those who held off from the beginning because of the insanely high suggested price for public domain works.

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2012 11:25 AM

Dean053:

In my opinion, this set is worth it just for Elliot alone, which was THE definitive historicist commentary back when historicism was still a popular hermeneutical option among Protestants. 

Hort's work is still very important, especially on the question of the dating of Revelation (Hort defends the early date). 

The Antichrist Legend by Bousset is the third reason I personally would love to see this set in publication. Bousset traces the antichrist motif all the way back to ancient Mesopotamia. 

Also worthy of note is William Kelly's work. Kelly was a contemporary of Darby, whom he follows in the main contours of this classic dispensational work written from a Plymouth Brethren perspective. Seiss was also a contemporary of Darby and was influenced by the Plymouth Brethren. He wrote his dispensational commentary as a Lutheran.

Dean, this was a very helpful post.  I have already bid (at $50!), but now I know a bit more about what I bid on.  I sure hope to get it for this.  I'm afraid I won't go 160.  :)

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 190
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2012 11:49 AM

I agree - well said Dean.  This type of info is helpful in general in understanding how good the classic commentary sets are.  I've got both Genesis and Galatians though I reckon the Galatians set was better value in the brief look I've had at both.  Paul Newsome did a helpful file with commentaries that Spurgeon recommended.  If any of you know of other respected thinkers who have reviewed commentaries, it would probably help others put bids in too ...

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2012 1:15 PM

E.W. Hengstenberg's commentary is also in this set. I would love to have it in Logos 4 but at the $50 price point. Smile

Posts 6720
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2012 1:44 PM

Bump.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 5
erik sietsema | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2012 1:55 PM

I am trying to catch all of these sets before they get out of community pricing. I tend to agree that $90 is a little on the pricey side. I initially low balled my bid hoping others would follow. I upped my bid to 50 at your suggestion. Thanks. Erik

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2012 2:03 PM

I'm assuming this of all the Classic Commentary Collections would have a larger group of last minute bidders once the line is crossed.  I think it'll end up going for $40.

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2012 2:08 PM

I have James Durham in Hard cover and would love it in Logo's, its a massive 1001 pgs !! 1001 pgs isn't nothing to brag about, but 1001 pgs of Durham is.Big Smile

Posts 388
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2012 7:19 PM

This is one post of many posts about getting interest drummed up on getting this set published.  I am back in at $160 now, I tried the $50 to push awhile back, but I figured if I increase it might go up faster.

I would like to have the complete Classic Commentary series, lets keep pushing.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2012 10:19 PM

A $ 160 bid includes lower prices too.  Also, community bidding by many users at $ 160 covers over 55 % of estimated production costs.  For projected price to drop, need many more new bids by Logos users.

Noticed retail comparison price for print is $ 934.95 so a bid of $ 90 would have a discount over 90 % if enough bids are placed to cover estimated production costs for complete 27 volume set with 12,448 pages.  Suspect if all current $ 50 bids were raised to $ 90, projected price would be close to $ 90

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 19254
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2012 12:15 AM

The bump at $50 is nearing 50%. Usually once a CP title reaches 60% it gains momentum, but only when the price is right. I think the $160 price point is too daunting for people. So let's see if we can get enough more bidders at 50% to raise it to the momentum point and then it will sail over the top in a couple of months. It's been sitting there for way too long. Look at how fast the other classic commentary collections have been climbing up the percentage ladder in comparison.

Posts 93
Fab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2012 7:17 AM

There is a point here : those who bid $50 won't bid for more, however, those who bid $160 could well bid $50! It's a way to gain momentum. :-)

Posts 2883
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2012 9:24 AM

You convinced me.  I am in at $50.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2012 9:36 AM

Thanks to all those posters who have jumped on board so that we can try to bump this one up a little. It's weird that there doesn't seem to be any movement on the live progress diagram though. This must be an expensive set to produce. I'm surprised there have been so many bids at $160 - this must be a set many of us really want to see - but ironically, that very desire to see the set has created a high peak which is working against our seeing it. 

Posts 247
BriM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2012 10:42 AM

Yes, it seems strange, but I suspect those who bid $160 would have a better chance of getting it into production by lowering their bid to $50. Then a lower peak could form and entice new bidders.

Posts 3742
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2012 11:17 AM

BriM:

Yes, it seems strange, but I suspect those who bid $160 would have a better chance of getting it into production by lowering their bid to $50. Then a lower peak could form and entice new bidders.

Yes +1

In at $50. Willing to let it go by if more...

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2012 1:03 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Suspect if all current $ 50 bids were raised to $ 90, projected price would be close to $ 90

Hi KS4J,

To put it in my simply language, this ain't going to happen.  I am not going to spend $90 for out of date commentaries.  I did bump UP my bid to $50, but I am not sure if the series is worth $50 for me.

Posts 19254
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2012 1:42 PM

Dean053:

Thanks to all those posters who have jumped on board so that we can try to bump this one up a little. It's weird that there doesn't seem to be any movement on the live progress diagram though. This must be an expensive set to produce. I'm surprised there have been so many bids at $160 - this must be a set many of us really want to see - but ironically, that very desire to see the set has created a high peak which is working against our seeing it. 

I keep waffling on this one. I started in at $160 as there was already a small bump there, and then lowered to $50 when I saw another bump forming there. I leave my bid at 50 most of the time, but when I see the bump at 160 getting to a new milestone I get worried again and bump back up to 160 because I don't want to miss this one. But I'm back down at 50 again. I can't remember if we get an email giving us one last chance when a CP hits 100% if our bid is below the set price. If I knew that for sure, I could rest easy about it.

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2012 1:54 PM

Rosie Perera:
I can't remember if we get an email giving us one last chance when a CP hits 100% if our bid is below the set price. If I knew that for sure, I could rest easy about it.

You will get an e-mail telling you that it made the 100% mark right and bidding will end Friday noon right?

Page 1 of 3 (52 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS