Logos 4.5 will not start after update

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 58
Dr. Mark C. Spellman | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 24 2012 7:17 PM

OK - I've tried this on two different computers and get the same result.  After updating Logos 4 to 4.5 with the virus protection turned off, the software will not load. I get the error message:  "Logos Bible software will not load"  I've attached the Logos4 Crash and Error logs.

I was so looking forward to the update and now can't even use the previous version.

Mark

7120.Logos4Crash.zip6175.Logos4Error.zip

Posts 9156
LogosEmployee

The error message indicates that the following file may be missing from your system:

C:\Users\MCS\AppData\Local\Logos4\System\Logos.Documents.Contracts.dll

You should be able to fix this problem by finding the following file:

C:\Users\MCS\AppData\Local\Logos4\Install\Installers\Logos4.msi

then right-click it, and choose "Repair" from the context menu.

Do you happen to remember which version of Logos you upgraded from? Was it the latest released version (4.3 SR-8) or was it an earlier version?

Posts 15
Edward Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 8:25 PM

I am having a similar problem. After updating from the latest version to 4.5 I get the same error. Where are the logs kept at so I can forward them to whomever.

thank you

Posts 9156
LogosEmployee

Do you happen to have Webroot Antivirus? According to a poster on this thread (http://community.logos.com/forums/p/44256/329548.aspx#329548) it's incorrectly blocking Logos.Documents.Contracts.dll as a virus. You may need to disable the AV then Repair Logos 4 from Control Panel in order to get it running.

Posts 9156
LogosEmployee

If you do use Webroot Antivirus, please follow Mark Barnes' detailed instructions on this thread (http://community.logos.com/forums/t/42487.aspx) to unquarantine the file and prevent it being blocked.

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 8:45 PM

Edward Peterson:
I am having a similar problem. After updating from the latest version to 4.5 I get the same error. Where are the logs kept at so I can forward them to whomever.

Edward, welcome to the forums.

Logs are not generated unless logging is enabled. You can learn about that here: http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

Unfortunately you have no logs from the present trouble. What you can try is to enable permanent logging as mentioned in the link above, then try to repair Logos by going to Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>Logos Bible Software 4. Left click on that item once, then choose Repair. Then see if you can open Logos. If you get log files from this attempt zip them up and attach them to another post here using the paperclip icon on the compose message form.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 58
Dr. Mark C. Spellman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 8:59 PM

OK - went through this fix and it is now working.  Thanks. 

Posts 15
Edward Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 9:28 PM

27083.Logos4.zip

Yes, I have webroot and I did go through the process described. Logos still crashes on start up, even after repairing both the prerequisites and logos via the control panel.

Posts 9156
LogosEmployee

Edward Peterson:

Yes, I have webroot and I did go through the process described. Logos still crashes on start up, even after repairing both the prerequisites and logos via the control panel.

It looks like you've restored Logos to version 4.3 SR-8. Unfortunately, Logos 4 doesn't support being downgraded to an earlier version once a newer version has been run.

Please re-run the latest installer from http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/Installer/Logos4Setup.exe to make sure you're upgraded to version 4.5.

Posts 15
Edward Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 9:43 PM

OK. I am up and running. thank you for the help! Big Smile

The prognosis must have been webroot blocking the files mentioned in the above link.

Posts 58
Dr. Mark C. Spellman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 25 2012 7:41 AM

I did a system restore to before the Logos Installation, then made sure that the file was not blocked in webroot.  When I came in this a.m. I rebooted and Logos began an update.  Everything is in working order on my desktop, not just waiting for the upgrade for my Ipad2.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS