edit collection

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 10 2009 9:28 PM

Is there any way to edit an existing collection?  Let's say I want to add some new books to a collection.  When I go to the collection tool and select my collection from the open menu it does not give me the books I actually have in my collection but those that follow the rule that is set up at the moment.  There is no way to see your collections in the library and there is no menu that I know of that will show your collections similar to the parallel resources menu in L3.

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 9:35 PM

TimEngwer:
When I go to the collection tool and select my collection from the open menu it does not give me the books I actually have in my collection but those that follow the rule that is set up at the moment. 

Tim, unless I misunderstand you, the books that follow the rule ARE your collection. You can drag some in the collection listing to the "minus these resources" area to eliminate them from the collection. You can drag other resources you want to add to the collection from your Library to the "plus these resources" area to add them to your collection.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 27234
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 9:39 PM

I'm not sure what you mean because what you see is your collection together with the number of books in it. Please explain and enclose an image of your collection.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 11:04 AM

I understand what you are saying but I created my devotional collection starting with the rule devotional and it gave me several hits that I did not include in my final collection and so I dragged and dropped them to the remove section.  So now when I click on Open Devotionals it gives me that same collection I got initially following the rule devotional with all the extra books still there.  I know that if I came up with a rule that was perfect and left me with only the books I want then I would see my final collection when I click on Open and I suppose I could figure something out to get it to work this way but I'm sure there will be cases where ther isn't a perfect rule to cover everything and in that case you are left with the drag and drop option to get rid of the remaining resources you don't want.

For example, let's say I want to create a commentary collection but only have my favorite commentaries in this collection.  There is no rule I could create that would exclude specific commentaries that I don't want in there except to include a NOT statement for every single one I don't want and that would be very time consuming.  Or let's say I want to create a devotional collection that has only 2 devotions in it (just using this as an example to make my point).  I only want Morning and Evening and My Utmost for His Highest.  What rule can be created to set up that collection without having to manually type those titles into the rule?  I think the only rule you could create would be one that lists those two book by name and that isn't such a big deal but what if you have many more than just those two and there are no commonalities among them which a rule would accomadate?  The only way around this dilema is to have a shortcut to a menu that specifically lists your collections and there resources.  Just click the icon select devotionals and a drop down list appears with your devotionals and then select the one you want.  As far as I know this is not possible in L4- at least not yet.  Or am I wrong? 

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 11:05 AM

TimEngwer:
So now when I click on Open Devotionals it gives me that same collection I got initially following the rule devotional with all the extra books still there.

This should not be so. Its not how it works on my system.

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 11:38 AM

Youre right.  I'm not sure what I did wrong the first time I created the collection but I recreated it and it followed the rule I set up but also included the exeptions I made with drag and drop.  Sorry about that.  But now I have another question.  Is there a way to drag and drop more than one resource at a time when you want to include or exclude?  As far as I can tell I can only do one resource at a time and this will be a problem when I want to make bigger collections and can't find a rule to suit every exception.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 11:42 AM

TimEngwer:

Youre right.  I'm not sure what I did wrong the first time I created the collection but I recreated it and it followed the rule I set up but also included the exeptions I made with drag and drop.  Sorry about that.  But now I have another question.  Is there a way to drag and drop more than one resource at a time when you want to include or exclude?  As far as I can tell I can only do one resource at a time and this will be a problem when I want to make bigger collections and can't find a rule to suit every exception.

This is a complaint of many. One thing that might help you is putting the Library and collection side by side and then dragging them from the library to the exception sections. most people prefer that, but you are still limited to only 1 selection at a time.

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 11:44 AM

TimEngwer:
As far as I can tell I can only do one resource at a time and this will be a problem when I want to make bigger collections and can't find a rule to suit every exception.

You have discovered one limitation that has been complained about already. You are right that we need a way to mark and drag any number of resources in one move when forming collections. I hope that capability will not be long in coming.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 11:46 AM

TimEngwer:
For example, let's say I want to create a commentary collection but only have my favorite commentaries in this collection.  There is no rule I could create that would exclude specific commentaries that I don't want in there except to include a NOT statement for every single one I don't want and that would be very time consuming. 

I have a special collection for my best commentaries. The rule is   rating:(=>3)

Than I go to see my commentaries in the Library and rate those I like (or I find top rated on the Bestcommentaries.com) with 3 or 4 or 5 stars. I have them automatically in my Best Commentaries Collection. Just as an example.

Bohuslav

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 11:50 AM

Mark A. Smith:
You have discovered one limitation that has been complained about already. You are right that we need a way to mark and drag any number of resources in one move when forming collections. I hope that capability will not be long in coming.

You can still get the same result with multiple tagging your chosen group of resources and than creating the -- mytag:whatever -- collection. It is manual, but tagging the any resource with the same tag adds the resource to the collection. Also, you can add whole other collections to the plus area.

Bohuslav

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 1:22 PM

Thanks for all the tips.  I hadn't thought of the rating idea so between that and the tagging there is at least a work around.  I'm hoping that in addition to allowing for multiple drag and drop they will also create a one click access solution to quickly pull up any collection and select a resource from it such as the parrallel associations button that was on each of the L3 windows. 

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 1:26 PM

TimEngwer:

Thanks for all the tips.  I hadn't thought of the rating idea so between that and the tagging there is at least a work around.  I'm hoping that in addition to allowing for multiple drag and drop they will also create a one click access solution to quickly pull up any collection and select a resource from it such as the parrallel associations button that was on each of the L3 windows. 

If I understand right, what you ask for is in tapping the plus sign next to the opened tab. You will get both, the list of offered resources by Logos (the covers of the books) and also a classical list of the prioritized resources (an equivalent of PA in v3).

Bohuslav

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 1:44 PM

Wow!  That was right in front of me and I didn't see it.  Thanks!  As for the collection menu I created a shortcut to open the collection menu so this will do for now.

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 1:50 PM

When clicking on the + sign for the NIV I notice that a list appears while when clicking on the + sign for Treasury of Scripture Knowledge a window opens showing book covers of the various resources.  Is there any way to get it to always open as a list?  The book cover thing only gives you the abbreviations of the various books and I have to mouse over them to see the full titles.

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 1:55 PM

TimEngwer:

When clicking on the + sign for the NIV I notice that a list appears while when clicking on the + sign for Treasury of Scripture Knowledge a window opens showing book covers of the various resources.  Is there any way to get it to always open as a list?  The book cover thing only gives you the abbreviations of the various books and I have to mouse over them to see the full titles.

The books in the list are those that have a reference to the item you are on: note the text at the top of the list

The books in the visual format are parallel resources. They display the "short title" from your library. If you change the "short title" to something you recognize you can eliminate the need to mouse over.

Different lists

Chris

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 2:10 PM

How do you change the short titles to longer ones?

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 2:22 PM

OK.  I see that in the library when you select a resource and the picture pops up you can edit the "short title" to make it anything you want but is there a way to tell L4 that you want all the short titles to be long titles?  Otherwise I would have to go through each resource and do this by hand.

Posts 5630
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 2:30 PM

TimEngwer:

OK.  I see that in the library when you select a resource and the picture pops up you can edit the "short title" to make it anything you want but is there a way to tell L4 that you want all the short titles to be long titles?  Otherwise I would have to go through each resource and do this by hand.

The long titles wouldn't fit there anyway--even the short titles are cut off in many cases.  You're asking for a different manner of display.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS