Installing new resources in L4

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 10 2009 9:33 PM

I just purchased the Word Biblical Commentary.  I couldn't find a way in L4 to install the books.  I ran the installer, which installed them in L3, then after syncing my licenses, L4 downloaded the commentaries over the internet.  Is there an easier way to do this from within L4 without using L3?  I miss the library management tools from L3...

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 9:39 PM

Congratulations on the purchase.

Because the commentary is in 3.0 format you had to take the steps you did. If you purchase a resource from Logos and select the download option you will get the resource in 4.0 format and it will automatically be added to your 4.0 installation. Until Logos puts 4.0 resources onto CDs that is what you will have to do. (I am not sure Logos will do much, if any, of that going forward. Their new model seems to be download only. We'll see.)

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 10:24 PM

Tom Geswein:
I just purchased the Word Biblical Commentary.

I too have just purchsed this resource and appreciate you asking the question. How large was the download?

Posts 733
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 7:29 AM

Thanks for posting this.  I just bought WBC as well - it is supposed to arrive tomorrow.  How long did it take to download to L4 after you sync'd from L3?  Also, did L4 have to re-index your entire library after adding these new resources?

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 8:28 AM

I don't remember exactly, but I believe the download was around 230Mb.  The download took about 30 minutes - that, of course, could vary depending on your ISP.  It also re-indexed my library, but it only took about 10 minutes - I have 1100 resources (with WBC).  If I understand the process correctly, it only indexes new resources and makes a separate index file just for those, so I had two indexing files, one for my WBC, and one for the rest of my library.  A way to see this is to do a search on any word in your library.  The search results will show results in two categories, "New Resources" and "Library Results".  Under "New Resources" it gives you the option to "Merge Indexes Now".  I just did this and it is indexing with an estimated time of ?? minutes (it started at 31 minutes and is up to 47 minutes now).  I'll update the total time later...  I hope this was clear - let me know if it wasn't. 

Total time was just under an hour.

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 2198
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 8:38 AM

Mark A. Smith:
Until Logos puts 4.0 resources onto CDs that is what you will have to do. (I am not sure Logos will do much, if any, of that going forward. Their new model seems to be download only.

This model is unsustainable.  Some are downloading 10gb of resources. As the library grows, so does the gb. A DVD of all resources should be made public.  We will only be able to use what we purchased.  But I see no reason why a DVD cannot be made with all resources on them...from all companies.  It may even be a good business model:  It may be that someone will want to purchase a locked resource just by seeing its content.  I know the resources are always updated. But it still would help if each year at Christmas, LOGOS put out an updated version of a resource DVD for those who wish to have it without downloading.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 8:43 AM

MarkSwaim:
A DVD of all resources should be made public.

You mean like this: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/4080/34512.aspx#34512

Bradley Grainger:
An ISO image of the Logos 4 Install Disc (Windows-only, SR-5) is available for download from ftp://ftp.logos.com/Logos4/ISO/SR5/Logos4-SR5-Windows.iso

or this: Logos Bible Software 4 Media Only [DVD]

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 5622
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 8:44 AM

MarkSwaim:

But I see no reason why a DVD cannot be made with all resources on them...from all companies.

Of course it would have to be multiple DVDs.  Platinum alone fills a dual layer DVD on the currently available one.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2198
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 8:46 AM

Thomas Black:

Yes, Thomas, very helpful.  But I see no information that it contains all resources, including those from Galaxie and other companies.  Can you confirm that this DVD does?

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 9:00 AM

Sorry Mark, I can't confirm the inclusiveness of the media only dvd. 

But the Downloadable ISO:

Bradley Grainger:
includes all the resources in the Scholar's Library: Platinum collection (and below).

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 733
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 10:27 AM

Thanks, Tom.  Your description was great.  Hopefully my update will go as smoothly when the WBC CD arrives.

Posts 9147
LogosEmployee

MarkSwaim:

Thomas Black:

But I see no information that it contains all resources, including those from Galaxie and other companies.  Can you confirm that this DVD does?

It only contains resources in the Scholar's Library: Platinum collection.

Making all resources available on DVD would probably be a 5-DVD set (at the current size); we do not have such a product for sale.

Posts 2198
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 1:47 PM

Bradley Grainger:
Making all resources available on DVD would probably be a 5-DVD set (at the current size); we do not have such a product for sale

Thanks for the information.  May I make 3 suggestions:

1.  On a FAQ page, make clear what is on the DVD as you did here and why every resource from other companies are not included

2.  Make available for sale resource DVDs...for example...if someone wanted such a DVD, they could pay for it

3.  Make available on the website, a pdf file of all resources from all companies

Why do I make this point?  Because we have read already on the forum that there are people who are missing resources.  Perhaps a DVD will not solve the problem as the resources should be downloadable...but this problem does exist.

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 5:32 PM

Bradley Grainger:

MarkSwaim:

Thomas Black:

But I see no information that it contains all resources, including those from Galaxie and other companies.  Can you confirm that this DVD does?

It only contains resources in the Scholar's Library: Platinum collection.

Making all resources available on DVD would probably be a 5-DVD set (at the current size); we do not have such a product for sale.

Please update the web page to indicate that it does not contain the resources in the Portfolio Base Package.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS