Morris' Passage is a Poor Choice

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 35
Greg Perry | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 10 2009 9:37 PM

In the online Logos 4 video #2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgbPwTGs7Po) Morris has us use version 4 for the first time by entering Luke 2:1-7 from the Home Page.

Then he says, "In mere moments..." but my screen, especially the left column, takes a minute or more to settle down.

I have a new, high-speed 64-bit HP computer running only Logos as I try this.

I don't see that the indexing has helped at all, perhaps Logos 4 is actually slower than 3? And if Luke 2:1-7 takes this long, what good did the indexing do at all other than for one-time searches?

I am a 15-year user of Logos and I am not complaining and I love Logos. But I need to know if most people's screen settles in - perhaps 10 secs or so when they follow what Morris does. If so, I need to check my install and try to figure out why 4 is SO incredibly slow on this entry and others like it.

Posts 9433
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 9:51 PM

Yes, this action is very slow on my computer as well.

Another reason to skip the Home Page and open to your last saved layout. This action does not take much time at all from a blank layout screen or from a saved layout.

Indexing only helps with searching. What we are observing is the changing of the screen layout and simultaneous launching of a number of panels with content. Hard drive and CPU intensive.This has little if anything to do with the indexing.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 10:08 PM

The more things the program is doing at once the slower it will go; when you run a passage from the home screen it opens both the passage and exegetical guides in the left pane which collectively will take a fair while to load.

You can speed this up in two ways, click the heading of a segment in a guide to open and close that segment, if you close it, this will be remembered and won't run automatically the next time you use that guide. In particular, closing the Word by Word segment in the exegetical guide will make a huge difference. Close all the bits you don't always use and it will speed up the load time.

You can also customise the Passage and Exegetical guides by creating new guides called My Passage Guide and My Exegetical Guide and only including what you want in the guide, these will then be run by default instead of the built-in guides.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS