Took the Plunge a purchased Logos Portfolio

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 38 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 314
Steven L. Spencer | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 10 2009 9:42 PM

I have faith in all the team at Logos to make Logos 4 the greatest Bible software program in the world. Thus, I took the plunge and bought the "Portfolio."  Hey, Bob and all the team--Don't make me eat my words. I've been with you guys for a long time. Thanks for your dedication and commitment to providing us 'the best' !

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 12:30 AM

Steven,

You won't regret it.

There ARE things you can do to help out the performance of V4 (I also did these in v3)

Turn off all unnessary services.

Set priority level of L4.exe to high or even real time. (ctrl-alt-delete)

Create a custom PG and EG with only those sections that you use...and keep the sections closed when you close them...that way they will open that way...

I can't think of any more right now....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 3300
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 1:57 AM

Robert

Not sure what you mean by "set priority level high (crtl-alt-delete)"

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 2:41 AM

Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and choose Task Manager. Select the Processes tab. Find the main Logos4 process, right click -> Set priority -> high or realtime.

By setting a process to a higher priority will prioritise it in terms of loading of CPU cycles... So other background and system processes will have less effect on it.

Posts 6717
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 3:07 AM

Jon Rumble:

Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and choose Task Manager. Select the Processes tab. Find the main Logos4 process, right click -> Set priority -> high or realtime.

By setting a process to a higher priority will prioritise it in terms of loading of CPU cycles... So other background and system processes will have less effect on it.

Thanks Jon, did not know windows had that feature.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 3300
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 3:21 AM

How awesome! Ur never to old to learn, not that I'm old, a little gray, a few wrinkles, thats just maturity right Indifferent

Posts 3300
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 4:06 AM

I have set it to high, and already can see a difference in the response. Thanks I was having a few slow issuws, but not now.

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 4:09 AM

What's the difference between "high" and "real time?"

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 4:16 AM

"Create a custom PG and EG with only those sections that you use...and keep the sections closed when you close them...that way they will open that way..."

What does this mean?

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 4:17 AM

Passage Guide and Exegetical Guide, you dummy. Sheesh!

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 4:23 AM

Randy Hartman:

Dunno. But I am running L4 Windows on XP and VMware Fusion (Mac) and "real time" locked it up. High seems to be snappy enough. In fact, I am really impressed with its speed.

Posts 232
AndyTheGreek | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 4:44 AM

Randy Hartman:

REAL TIME means that Logos4.exe has absolute priority on your PC and no other program will even respond while it is running. I don't know if other processes (internet connections etc) are affected by this, but it will make your PC appear to have locked up. I wouldn't recommend ever putting anything in realtime mode...

High priority means that other apps will have to wait for Logos if Logos is doing something - it will make Logos run a lot faster but everthing else will suffer. Of course, you can adjust the priorities as often as you like and give Logos a boost whenever you need to.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 4:47 AM

Andy,

I've used "real time" for logos for a few years now (when I remember)

I've never exhibited any of the lock up symptoms you describe...

Robert Pavich

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 5:24 AM

Jon Rumble:

Jon

Should the warning that setting Logos to high priority might cause system instability concern me?

Jack 

Never mind. I see that question was answered while I was reading and typing. You guys are fast Cool

Posts 81
Daniel R. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 5:38 AM

Something else that seems to speed things up for me: go to tools: program settings: and change the box to "no" at "use internet". This stops your program from syncing online. While I really like the syncing, I would rather have the option to just click the syncing icon when I choose, and not have it slow the program when it does its thing automatically.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.

Posts 3300
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 5:45 AM

That would be a good option! one click shopping

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 5:47 AM

I know, I know, I know...we're supposed to rejoice when others rejoice and mourn when others mourn but, although I'm rejoicing with you, I can't deny that I'm soooooooooo jealous!!!!! (Okay, I'm just joking...I think). Portfolio just wasn't a possibility for me since I had just spent almost $1,000 on a pre-pub a few weeks ago. With all of that said, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! I know you'll love Portfolio because it is indeed an awesome package. It is my earnest desire to upgrade to that package in 2010!

Blessings!

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 5:58 AM

RevWilming:
Portfolio just wasn't a possibility for me since I had just spent almost $1,000 on a pre-pub a few weeks ago.

Yes, that's my problem as well. Most of us have endured a few fairly expensive pre-pubs this year! 2010, no wait 2011 before my book budget can start to recuperate. I am enjoying all these awesome resources though!

Posts 10
Joseph Delgado | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 6:16 AM

FYI, you can start the task manager also by right clicking on the date and time area on your taskbar and click start task manager (Vista, Win 7). In XP it will just say task manager. I'm always looking for shortcuts for doing things quicker in Windows

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 6:45 AM

Daniel R. Smith:
Something else that seems to speed things up for me: go to tools: program settings: and change the box to "no" at "use internet". This stops your program from syncing online. While I really like the syncing, I would rather have the option to just click the syncing icon when I choose, and not have it slow the program when it does its thing automatically.

Good tip...since I don't have another machine to sync with anyway...

Robert Pavich

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS