Couldn't uninstall Logos 4 fast enough!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2
Rev. Stephen Donovan | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 10 2009 10:24 PM

I've been a Logos user for over a decade and have always appreciated the advancements offered in the upgrades; until now.  I installed Logos 4 this afternoon via download and immediately lost control of my computer.  Logos seemed to take over the bulk of my resources, even when it was not running.  In particular, mouse function was seriously compromised.  It so negatively impacted computer performance that I did little else in exploring the new interface than discover that it appears I have lost many of the customizations that I have really liked about Logos 3.  I've uninstalled the program and regained "normal" computer function.  I'll try again when I upgrade my computer from the present configuration (Pentium 4.0 3.0 GHz with 3 GB RAM running WIndows XP) to a new configuation (Pentium QuadCore Duo with 8 GB RAM running Windows 7).

Posts 61
Jason | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 11:14 PM

RevStephenDonovan:
I installed Logos 4 this afternoon via download and immediately lost control of my computer.

Stephen, Logos 4 is quite slow to begin with as it attempts to download any resources that it is missing and update "the cloud" with the resources you have in Logos 3.  This is to be expected (even if you have loaded from the DVD if that was your purchase option).  Once all new resources are updated the computer L4 will then run an indexing whcih can be from a few hours to near on a day from some reports depending on the number of resources you have.  I strongly suggest that indexing be left over night while you get a good nights sleep and be fresh to explore the depths of the new Logos 4 engine.

It so negatively impacted computer performance that I did little else in exploring the new interface than discover that it appears I have lost many of the customizations that I have really liked about Logos 3.

You may not have been able to do much because of the need for the indexing to happen.  As this is a total rebuild it would be expected that much of what you hve done in Logos 3 will not port across.  The new system is more 'dynamic' in that it will require a little time and patience to learn a few simple command to build collections and to 'prioritise' resources you like to look at most often.  I encourage you to have patience.

I'll try again when I upgrade my computer from the present configuration (Pentium 4.0 3.0 GHz with 3 GB RAM running WIndows XP) to a new configuation (Pentium QuadCore Duo with 8 GB RAM running Windows 7).

Your current system is probably better than many I have seen quoted by other users and the new system you are suggesting should help speed up the indexing overnight!

Remember thsi is a whole new build of the program and just like when you first use a new program it take some time getting use to and eventually lots of little tips show up here that can mak your use much more pleasant.

Jason

How to ask for help for Logos issues.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 11:34 PM

RevStephenDonovan:

I'll try again when I upgrade my computer from the present configuration (Pentium 4.0 3.0 GHz with 3 GB RAM running WIndows XP) to a new configuation (Pentium QuadCore Duo with 8 GB RAM running Windows 7).

There are a couple of things going on here. Logos4 was indexing and that was causing your computer slowdown. The reason for your major slowdown is most likely your old Pentium4. It's fast, but it's a single-core, older CPU. There could be other issues as well (background programs and processes running, full hard drive, and other things).

Your 'new configuration' looks much more promising. Be aware that there are scattered reports that L4 does not work well with some integrated video systems (mostly on systems older than 2yrs). I'm quite sure that buying a reputable computer that will run Win7 well, will run L4 well. Logos4 does take advantage of all the hardware you can throw at it, which is a good idea (I think), but it means it won't run well on lower-end or older systems. The good news for you is that you can look at what works well here, and purchase a system that meets or exceeds the specs that make Logos4 rock.

Since I don't work for Logos, I think I would suggest you wait for your new system before jumping into L4. The only thing you may want to consider though is that there is no guarantee that the deals Logos is offering now will last very long. You may want to plan ahead financially and set some money aside for a crossgrade or upgrade (if you're planning one anyway), and possibly purchase it before you actually get your new system. It could save you hundreds of dollars, though, since I don't work for Logos, I can't tell you how much you might save, nor how long the current incentive pricing will last.

When/if you do jump into L4, you'll find that many of the things you did in L3 will work differently in L4. It's a bit of a shock at first, but L4 is really quite superior to L3 in many ways. Customization is really less necessary in L4 than L3 (IMHO), since L4 works much more intuitively than L3 ever did. But most 'power-users' find L4 a bit of an unwelcome change at first. Later, they begin to like the program more as they use it as it was intended (instead of trying to make it work like L3).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 2:12 AM

RevStephenDonovan:

Rev. Donovon,

I am sorry that you had such a bad experience with L4. It could very well be, as suggested above, that it was the indexing that was making every thing suggllish or perhaps indeed it is your computer. I have L4 running on 2 systems. The one I use the most when studying and preparing lessons is the older laptop (about 4 years old), which is only a Pentium M, 1.8 GHz with only 1 GB Ram, and running Windows XP Service Pack 3. and I am having no problems running L4. I was "somewhat" of a power user in Version 3 and found the change to L4 somewhat overwhelming at times. Yet I have been able to set up L4 to do most of the things that I could do in L3, but now easier and faster. I hope that you will not give up yet. Try downloading the program in the evening and then before you go to bed, have your computer to index. Hopefully overnight this will/should be accomplished and then try again to use the program the next day.

One thing that I found helpful is that I decided to put aside "the way things worked in Logos 3" and just began experimenting with each option that was listed under "Tools" in L4 At each point, I would open the Help menu and type in that feature (such as "Collections") and see if I could follow the instructions there or perhaps any tips there that I did not know about. I was quite surprised at what I learned! And to be honest with you, I would not want to go back to Logos 3 now. Version 4 is by far superior. I will wait patiently for the other improvements down the line, such as PBB usage and the ability to print. But until then, I will use L4 most if not all the time.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

Charlene

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 4:13 AM

Next time when you install: do it at night, let it start to index, don't touch your computer, go to bed, wake up, use L4!

Posts 66
J. Bryant Evans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 4:20 AM

I struggled with some of the same issues. Unless you really dug into the details before the download you were probably surprised at the way it worked. The whole install and indexing does seem to be a rather in-elegant way of doing things.

However on my 1..6 ghz machine I suffered through the install and am satisfied with the product. I hope you will take a second look.

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 4:25 AM

Jason:
This is to be expected

Sorry, but are you serious? Throughout Beta testing I advised Logos to be very clear about what was necessary in terms of both time and computer usage for the installation of this program. The incredible number of complaints about installation, the perplexed queries, and the many frustrations demonstrate without any doubt that absolutely no one - other than Beta testers - "expected" the install process to be like it is.

As much as I'm enjoying Logos 4 and have willingly reinstalled it and reindexed it three times in the last week, I cannot but help feel that the website is gravely lacking in information concerning installation and that all the fancy videos do not make up for this extraordinary 'oversight.'

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 4:31 AM

RevStephenDonovan:
I've uninstalled the program and regained "normal" computer function.  I'll try again when I upgrade my computer from the present configuration (Pentium 4.0 3.0 GHz with 3 GB RAM running WIndows XP) to a new configuation (Pentium QuadCore Duo with 8 GB RAM running Windows 7).

As others have said, until it goes through the initial indexing, your computer will be bogged down. Probably the best way around this is to start it off as you are about to go to bed and let it run through the night.

The benefit is lightning speed searches. A global search on my entire library of 2,000 resources for the word "Jesus" yields 783,424 results. It takes a few seconds to parse the results, but it is stunning never the less. Particularly because I am running it in a virtual Windows machine environment on a Mac. For someone running it in native Windows environment on reasonable hardware like yours it should do even better.

The other thing, L4 is a different approach. At first, I was lost, but now I have begun to find my way around. The more I use it, the more I like it. My only disappointment is that I wished I could split windows by dragging and dropping, but I'm starting to get the hang of how to change my layouts. EDIT - the more I play with this, the more I like it, it has taken a bit of getting used to though.

All in all, L4 is impressing me more and more. The upgrade from Gold to Platinum has hard hitting resources like Pillar, Baker Exegetical Commentary and BDAG. The more I understand what is bundled with this upgrade and how many were on my wish list, the more I realise how much value for money I got. It is an amazing upgrade and I keep wondering if there is a mistake. Wished I could afford to upgrade to Portfolio, but I broke the book budget this year with a few unexpected prepubs like the NICOT/NICNT. ;-)

Hang in there. Keep trying. If you are a long term Logos fan, I'm pretty sure in the long run you are going to be really impressed.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 4:39 AM

RevStephenDonovan:

I've been a Logos user for over a decade and have always appreciated the advancements offered in the upgrades; until now.  I installed Logos 4 this afternoon via download and immediately lost control of my computer.  Logos seemed to take over the bulk of my resources, even when it was not running.  In particular, mouse function was seriously compromised.  It so negatively impacted computer performance that I did little else in exploring the new interface than discover that it appears I have lost many of the customizations that I have really liked about Logos 3.  I've uninstalled the program and regained "normal" computer function.  I'll try again when I upgrade my computer from the present configuration (Pentium 4.0 3.0 GHz with 3 GB RAM running WIndows XP) to a new configuation (Pentium QuadCore Duo with 8 GB RAM running Windows 7).

RevSDon,

I want to say one thing...I appreciate the matter of fact way that you went about describing your problem and your willingness to give it a shot in the future...

You got your point across without using the words, crap, junk, hoodwinked, ripped off, dishonest, hopeless, garbage, or any number of other terms that get thrown about by those with similar experiences...

I invite you to either try again and let it index over night or to come back when your laptop is new, and the features are in place...

God bless,

bob

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2
Rev. Stephen Donovan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 10:06 AM

Richar, your assessment maches mine: my resources are insufficient to run this program well. 

I've no complaint about the program itself; I've not even been able to begin exploring it. I was suprised by and unprepared for the demands of the indexing function. (For the record, I did let the initial indexing complete before attempting to use the program, or any others, for that matter). My CPU ran at 100% for several hours, during which time I could do nothing else. After that time, I could run programs, but with the performance loss already mentioned.  In sum, while my computer meets the minimum requirements to "run" Logos 4 - it cannot run it well; without continual frustration with performance. 

Although I do not know the actual processes involved behind the interface, I've concluded I cannot satisfactorily run this program on my current computer. I had to make the same decision with regard to Windows Instant Search which makes excessive demands on my resources and compromises performance in much the same way.  Unlike having performance compromised for a time while Trend-Micro runs a virus scan , Windows Instant Search (and it seems Logos 4) places continuous demands on my system that compromise performance at all times.

As I said before, I am a long-time and generally satisfied Logos user. I do anticipate reinstalling Logos 4 on a new computer that is better equipped to handle its demands. I'm thankful that my Logos 3 install is still intact and operational. I will continue to use it daily until I am able to overlap their use and perhaps move to Logos 4 exclusively.

My only advice to Logos is that from a marketing perspective, it is better to anticipate and address potential problems than to let your customers encounter them with faulty expectations. As Jason noted, beta testers were well aware. Others, it seems are not. "Promise a little. Deliver a lot."

My expectations were faulty, based on previous update experiences.  Had I known yesterday what I know today, I would have waited for my initial install until I had the appropriate hardware in place. Frustration avoided. Customer satisfaction mainteinted or even enhanced. I certainly take responsibility for not "doing my homework" before installing this new program.

With this, I'm signing off this thread. I do not intend to post again until I am able to report success.

Posts 61
Jason | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 2:48 PM

Damian, yes you are correct.  It was a poor choice of words and I should have been much more explicit in my statement.

Damian McGrath:
I cannot but help feel that the website is gravely lacking in information concerning in.stallation and that all the fancy videos do not make up for this extraordinary 'oversight.'

I agree too with you about the lack of material warning of the potential system resources L4 will use initially.  Perhaps this could be added to the check-out page as a pop-up warning as well.

Jason

How to ask for help for Logos issues.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 5:52 PM

Robert Pavich:
You got your point across without using the words, crap, junk, hoodwinked, ripped off, dishonest, hopeless, garbage, or any number of other terms that get thrown about by those with similar experiences...

Oh come on, Robert. That post was just plain stupid.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 2:10 AM

:)

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS