C. I. Scofield Collection nearing 100%

Page 1 of 4 (68 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 67 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1522
Josh | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 30 2012 3:41 PM

...it just needs 60% more to go....Tongue Tied

C. I. Scofield Collection

Bio:

Dr Cyrus Ingerson Scofield (1843-1921) is undoubtedly best known today for the Scofield Reference Bible, but was instrumental in the promotion of premillennial dispensational doctrine across denominational lines. His explanations of Scripture in his study Bible are clear and systematic, effectively presenting his views. MORE

Quote from Scofield Reference Bible (1 Cor. 15:52):

15:52  In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

raised

Resurrection, Summary:

(1) The resurrection of the dead was believed by the patriarchs Genesis 22:5; Hebrews 11:19; Job 19:25-27 and revealed through the prophets ; Isaiah 26:19; Daniel 12:2,13; Hosea 13:14 and miracles of the dead restored to life are recorded in the O.T. ; 2 Kings 4:32-35; 13:21.

(2) Jesus Christ restored life to the dead Matthew 9:25; Luke 7:12-15; John 11:43,44 and predicted His own resurrection ; John 10:18; Luke 24:1-8.

(3) A resurrection of bodies followed the resurrection of Christ Matthew 27:52,53 and the apostles raised the dead ; Acts 9:36-41; 20:9,10.

(4) Two resurrections are yet future, which are inclusive of "all that are in the graves" John 5:28. These are distinguished as "of life" ; 1 Corinthians 15:22,23; 1 Thessalonians 4:14-17; Revelation 20:4 and "of judgment" ; John 5:28,29; Revelation 20:11-13. They are separated by a period of one thousand years Revelation 20:5. The "first resurrection," that "unto life," will occur at the second coming of Christ 1 Corinthians 15:23 the saints of the O.T. and church ages meeting Him in the air 1 Thessalonians 4:16,17 while the martyrs of the tribulation, who also have part in the resurrection Revelation 20:4 are raised at the end of the great tribulation.

(5) The mortal body will be related to the resurrection body as grain sown is related to the harvest 1 Corinthians 15:37,38 that body will be incorruptible, glorious, powerful, and spiritual 1 Corinthians 15:42-44,49.

(6) The bodies of living believers will, at the same time, be instantaneously changed 1 Corinthians 15:50-53; Philippians 3:20,21. This "change" of the living, and resurrection of the dead in Christ, is called the "redemption of the body" ; Romans 8:23; Ephesians 1:13,14.

(7) After the thousand years the "resurrection unto judgment" John 5:29 occurs. The resurrection-body of the wicked dead is not described. They are judged according to their works, and cast into the lake of fire. Revelation 20:7-15.

Posts 1522
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 2:57 AM

I wish I knew how to speak Spanish, this appears to be an infomercial for the Scofield Bible. And if you call in the next 10 minutes we'll throw in Lewis Chafer's "Systematic Theology" at no extra cost! lol

While I personally do not agree with Scofield on a number of things, I would like to own this collection. It has stalled at 40%. Angry

Posts 93
Fabrice | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 5:41 AM

Hi Joshua, 

This is not Spanish, it's Brazilian portuguese. Basically he's saying that this study Bible was the first one available in Brazil and now they have this new most complete revised version containing 26,000 entries. And this is a special promotion, you only pay 3 times 39 reais. 

BTW, I wonder how these excellent series of Scofield are so slow to reach the top  and the history of the Popes reached it in a few days! Are people here mostly Catholic ? 

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 6:23 AM

Fabrice de Almeida:
BTW, I wonder how these excellent series of Scofield are so slow to reach the top  and the history of the Popes reached it in a few days! Are people here mostly Catholic ? 

Couple of reasons:

1. A history book is cheaper to produce than a more complex reference one so the Logos target price will have been lower for the book on the popes.
  2. Breadth of appeal. The book on the popes is actually a history of early Church leaders which potentially has an appeal that extends beyond Catholics to others whereas Dispensationalism whilst it has a wide denominational spread probably peaked in the 1970's in terms of broad interest. 

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 171
Abi Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 6:39 AM

Graham Owen:
Dispensationalism whilst it has a wide denominational spread probably peaked in the 1970's in terms of broad interest. 
That was diplomatic. Big Smile

~

Posts 103
Mark O'Hearn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 7:32 AM

I placed a bid on this resource a week or so ago.  The Scofield Study Bible was one of the earliest available, and was my second study Bible (after Nelson King James Study Bible).  Mr. Scofield's notes generally provide any student with good insights on the Word of God.  It would be ashame if this resource was not available to Logos users just based upon its "antiquity."

Posts 1522
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 7:40 AM

Graham Owen:

1. A history book is cheaper to produce than a more complex reference one so the Logos target price will have been lower for the book on the popes.

This is true, but I would suspect that the Classic Commentary sets that have recently went beyond 100% are more complex to tag than the Scofield collection. The reference Bible itself is not heavily annotated and many of the works in the collection have less than 50 pages. Note: This collection also includes a history book: The Life Story of C. I. Scofield by Charles Trumbull.

Graham Owen:

1. Breadth of appeal. The book on the popes is actually a history of early Church leaders which potentially has an appeal that extends beyond Catholics to others whereas Dispensationalism whilst it has a wide denominational spread probably peaked in the 1970's in terms of broad interest. 

Again, I'll bring up the Classic Commentaries. It's hard to see the breath of appeal for many of these books IMO. Most contain out-of-date scholarship to some degree, unknown authors, and unknown content. Plus, as I said above, the C. I. Scofield Collection contains a biographical book about Scofield. Being that he had a huge impact on American Protestantism and was D. L. Moody's pastor this would make knowing about him just as important as any of the popes.

Posts 463
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 7:41 AM

Abi Gail:

Graham Owen:
Dispensationalism whilst it has a wide denominational spread probably peaked in the 1970's in terms of broad interest. 

Even so, it's still an important resource. I'm very... disinclined towards dispensationalism (my attempt at diplomacy) and can't wait to get the collection.

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 8:19 AM

I saw the thread title and was supper pumped! Then I saw this....

Joshua G:

I was thinking... I can't believe it made so much progress in the last few hours since I checked it last. Then I discovered it was just a cruel joke Crying. Hoprefully you thread will draw attention to this great resource. Yes

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 8:36 AM

Joshua G:

C. I. Scofield Collection

Observation: if current bids of $ 20 were raised to $ 50 then progress changes from 40 % to 100 %

To reach 100 % progress with $ 20 bids, needs more bidders (about 150 % more).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1805
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 9:43 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Observation: if current bids of $ 20 were raised to $ 50 then progress changes from 40 % to 100 %

Except for some of  us that know that sooner or later they will break up the collection. 

They do it very fast, just look at Warfield´s Collection.

Then you could get the Study Bible (NOTES) for a fair price of about 20 dollars.

Another point is that many would not pay 50 dollars this resource.Indifferent

I feel logos should just promote this as a Study Bible Notes plus a whole lot more freebies added on to the collection.

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 1805
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 9:57 AM

Jonathan:

I saw the thread title and was supper pumped! Then I saw this....

Joshua G:

I was thinking... I can't believe it made so much progress in the last few hours since I checked it last. Then I discovered it was just a cruel joke Crying. Hoprefully you thread will draw attention to this great resource. Yes

¿Near or Far? Confused  Seems like Scofield and his followers always had a hard time telling them apart. Wink 

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 10:08 AM

Joshua G:
but I would suspect that the Classic Commentary sets

Joshua G:
Again, I'll bring up the Classic Commentaries.

Joshua 

You have completely missed the point the question and response related to two specific resources and their performance in the community program.

God Bless

Graham

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 10:21 AM

Dave:

Abi Gail:

Graham Owen:

Even so, it's still an important resource

But is it? I have bid for nostalgic reasons and I have no doubt that the Scofield Bible, like Thompson, was very popular in its day but I think that there are more important, though less popular, dispensational resources. 

God Bless

Graham

Posts 171
Abi Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 10:27 AM

Graham Owen:
like Thompson, was very popular in its day but I think that there are more important, though less popular, dispensational resources. 
You consider Thompson Study Bible dispensational ?

~

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 11:03 AM

Joshua G:
Again, I'll bring up the Classic Commentaries. It's hard to see the breath of appeal for many of these books IMO. Most contain out-of-date scholarship

And Scofield's teaching is what is called old school. He taught the old testament saints were saved by keeping the law....Something today's dispensationalism wouldn't go near.

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 12:47 PM

Abi Gail:
Graham Owen:
like Thompson, was very popular in its day but I think that there are more important, though less popular, dispensational resources. 
You consider Thompson Study Bible dispensational ?

No I just remember the days when it seemed that everyone had one or the other.

God Bless

Graham

Posts 171
Abi Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 12:49 PM

Smile

~

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 3:33 PM

Graham Owen:

Fabrice de Almeida:

Couple of reasons:

2. Breadth of appeal. The book on the popes is actually a history of early Church leaders which potentially has an appeal that extends beyond Catholics to others whereas Dispensationalism whilst it has a wide denominational spread probably peaked in the 1970's in terms of broad interest. 

You're both missing the main point completely: it's simple maths:

• The Book of the Popes is 1 volume, of 169 pages, and peaked at $10. That's $10/vol., 5.92 cents/page.

• The Scofield Collection is 15 volumes, 3,146 pages in total, and peaks at $20. That's $1.33/vol., 0.64 cents/page.

Needless to say, if bidders are only willing to pay 0.64 cents/page, the resource is going to need almost 10 times as many bids to reach production as if they were willing to pay 5.92 cents/page. If we who were interested in the Book of the Popes had bid the former (i e $1), we would be waiting still, and if you who are interested in Scofield had bid the latter (i e $186), it would have closed in a week.

You want 15 vols. for only twice as much as we were willing to pay for 1, and then you're surprised it moves slowly? We know that we are so few that we have to pay more if we want anything at all to go into production, but you are so many that you have been spoiled into thinking that you can get anything you want both cheap and fast. That works fine when enough of you want the same thing, but not when it's something more specialized; then you have to do like us: choose between paying more and waiting longer.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 171
Abi Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 3:52 PM

fgh:
if bidders are only willing to pay 0.64 cents/page
Quite Frankly, I'm not willing to pay0.64 cents for the whole collection. Guess I blew my chance of being forum diplomat. Stick out tongue

~

Page 1 of 4 (68 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS