C. I. Scofield Collection nearing 100%

Page 2 of 4 (68 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 67 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 462
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 9:56 PM

Graham Owen:

Dave:

Even so, it's still an important resource

But is it? I have bid for nostalgic reasons and I have no doubt that the Scofield Bible, like Thompson, was very popular in its day but I think that there are more important, though less popular, dispensational resources. 

Those resources haven't really made much of an impact on the culture or thought of the laity in dispensational circles in my experience. This resource is valuable because it documents what many in the dispensational camp would assert, not because it is advanced scholarship.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 4:24 AM

Dave, you misspelled your own site in the sig...Embarrassed

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 6:19 AM

fgh:

You're both missing the main point completely: it's simple maths:

• The Book of the Popes is 1 volume, of 169 pages, and peaked at $10. That's $10/vol., 5.92 cents/page.

• The Scofield Collection is 15 volumes, 3,146 pages in total, and peaks at $20. That's $1.33/vol., 0.64 cents/page.

... great observation

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 462
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 6:28 PM

toughski:

Dave, you misspelled your own site in the sig...Embarrassed

Wow... that's humbling. I think I might leave it there for a while for just that purpose.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 7:08 PM

fgh:
We know that we are so few that we have to pay more if we want anything at all to go into production, but you are so many that you have been spoiled into thinking that you can get anything you want both cheap and fast. That works fine when enough of you want the same thing, but not when it's something more specialized; then you have to do like us: choose between paying more and waiting longer.

While what you say is true it sounds a little like "us versus them" thinking. I was happy to get the Book of the Popes for $6 and I would be happy to get the Scofield Collection for $20. The whole idea behind Community Pricing is the more people we get behind it, the cheaper we get it for. I would encourage everyone ("Protestants" included) to buy the Book of the Popes just as I would recommend everyone (Catholics included) buy the Scofield Collection. If that would happen we would all get every title at the lowest price. Since statistics tell us there are more Catholics in the world we only have to convince them to buy Logos resources and they would have the buying-clout advantage.  Big Smile 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 7:19 PM

I have been reading a book entitled "Scofield Analized" that is quite critical of Scofield and dispensationalism in general.  One claim I find interesting is that Trumball had factual errors in his biography of Scofield. I am eager to read Trumball's account and compare the two. Surprise

I sometimes question accusations like that when the one making them has foundational differences from the accused (in this case Weston is Preterist.)

Another question I have is if there is any relation between the Weston that helped publish the Scofield Bible ad the Weston that authored "Analyzing Scofield"...... Surprise It is probably a bizarre coincidence. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 11:44 PM

Looking at => http://www.logos.com/product/16396/c-i-scofield-collection noticed more resources that would be interesting to read, e.g. What Do the Prophets Say?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1522
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 5 2012 12:13 AM

I wonder what kind of Bible questions people were asking in 1917? I bet they are vastly different than what we hear asked today!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 5 2012 6:08 AM

Joshua G:
I wonder what kind of Bible questions people were asking in 1917? I bet they are vastly different than what we hear asked today!

I wonder too. One question that would probably be similar would be, "Is the wold going to end in 11 months?" 

Posts 171
Abi Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 5 2012 7:35 AM

Super Tramp:
"Is the wold going to end in 11 months?" 
It will just seem like the end of the world if Romney gets elected. Big Smile

~

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 5 2012 2:13 PM

Abi Gail:
It will just seem like the end of the world

Tsk, Tsk,  AbiG.  That is funny but quite out of bounds.    

When I wrote that I was thinking of the Aztec calendar December 2012 thingy.

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 5 2012 2:25 PM

Super Tramp:
When I wrote that I was thinking of the Aztec calendar December 2012 thingy

Posts 171
Abi Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 5 2012 2:37 PM

Super Tramp:
Tsk, Tsk,  AbiG.  That is funny but quite out of bounds.    
Abi Gail:

Super Tramp:
"Is the wold going to end in 11 months?" 
It will just seem like the end of the world if Romney gets elected. Big Smile

Quite Right !   I denounce and reject myself for that radical comment.Embarrassed

~

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 5 2012 4:49 PM

fwiw:  I happen to have the Scofield Correspondence Course that was offered by Moody Bible Institute way back in the old days.  It is not included in the Scofield collection. It might make for an interesting PBB.

Can someone refresh my memory on the law concerning copyright duration in the USA? I do not know if the rights were held by Scofield or Moody Bible Institute. Or did it make a difference in the old days? 

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 5 2012 5:06 PM

Super Tramp:

fwiw:  I happen to have the Scofield Correspondence Course that was offered by Moody Bible Institute way back in the old days.  It is not included in the Scofield collection. It might make for an interesting PBB.

Can someone refresh my memory on the law concerning copyright duration in the USA? I do not know if the rights were held by Scofield or Moody Bible Institute. Or did it make a difference in the old days? 

before 1923 is PD:  http://library.dts.edu/Pages/RM/Helps/copyright.shtml

The Scofield Bible correspondence course (1907) is available in PDF here: http://www.archive.org/details/scofieldbiblecor02scof

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 5 2012 7:34 PM

Robert Harner:
The Scofield Bible correspondence course (1907) is available in PDF here: http://www.archive.org/details/scofieldbiblecor02scof

I could not find any of the other volumes on Internet Archive. I have the complete set in loose-leaf notebooks so it should be easy to scan.  ("...famous last words...")

Déjà vu

Posts 1522
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 5 2012 8:11 PM

Pentecost's copy of Scofield Reference Bible, 1917

This Scofield Reference Bible was used for study and for preaching by Dr. J. Dwight Pentecost, who had received it as a gift from his mother and father.

Check out the Dallas Theological Seminary's collection of rare and old Bibles.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 6:29 AM

Joshua G:
Pentecost's copy of Scofield Reference Bible, 1917

Proof positive that whether or not one agrees with C. I. Scofield's doctrinal views, he had a wide and lasting influence on Christianity through many others who studied his teachings. 

Posts 1522
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2012 7:33 PM

Wow...this was unexpected. There must have been a bunch of bidders this week!

EDIT: http://www.logos.com/product/16396/c-i-scofield-collection  <--- link

Posts 8193
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2012 8:28 PM

Wow! So unexpected I had canceled my bid and now I'm in again at $20.  I think this will make it to $15 or even lower.

DAL

Page 2 of 4 (68 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS