Bug: 4.5a B5: High CPU / beachball when opening version drop-down in Copy Bible Verses tool

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 97
Martin Diers | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 11 2012 6:10 PM | Locked

I'm posting this again, because the problem is still occurring in 4.5a Beta 5.

Details, logs, and process samples here:

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/44113/330670.aspx#330670

To recap: The first time I open the Versions drop down in the Copy Bible Verses tool, Logos locks up a moment later, beachball and all, with 100% CPU usage on one core, for an extended period of time. Note that this behavior occurs merely opening the drop down, whether or not you select anything. A few moments after closing the dropdown, the lockup occurs.

Eventually Logos recovers, and then the version drop-down can be opened with no further difficulties. Problem recurs each time Logos is launched.

The time it takes for Logos to recover on my Macbook Pro i7 2.3Ghz is about 2 minutes.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 11 2012 6:49 PM | Locked

Martin Diers:
The time it takes for Logos to recover on my Macbook Pro i7 2.3Ghz is about 2 minutes.

Can replicate CPU spiking when changing Copy Bible Verses  (CBV) version from ESV to NET, which took nearly two minutes to complete using Logos 4.5a Beta 5 on a 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7 running Mac OS X 10.6.8

Sample taken during CPU spike while waiting for version change:

1464.Sample of Logos Bible Software 4.txt.zip

Apologies: unable to replicate version drop down delay, menu appeared quickly.  Also changing CBV version from NET back to ESV was quick (couple seconds).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 97
Martin Diers | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 18 2012 2:36 PM | Locked

To clarify: I do not have a delay in the menu dropping down. The menu drops down right away, and populates with Bible versions. Then, after closing the menu, whether or not I choose anything, the "not responding" state occurs a few moments later.

And again, once the delay has happened once in any given session, it never happens again. It only occurs the first time you open the Versions menu after launching Logos.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 18 2012 2:51 PM | Locked

Martin Diers:

To clarify: I do not have a delay in the menu dropping down. The menu drops down right away, and populates with Bible versions. Then, after closing the menu, whether or not I choose anything, the "not responding" state occurs a few moments later.

And again, once the delay has happened once in any given session, it never happens again. It only occurs the first time you open the Versions menu after launching Logos.

Wonder if issue still occurs using Logos 4.5a RC 1 ? (4.51.0.2040 was released yesterday)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 97
Martin Diers | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 18 2012 3:26 PM | Locked

Yes. I just confirmed that it is still a problem in 4.5a RC1.

Posts 91
Seth Hewitt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 26 2012 8:43 PM | Locked

Similar to Martin's problem, when I click on a resource tab the program locks up, spinning beachball, both processor cores go to ~60%, and the program must be forced quit. I've let it continue for 5+ minutes before closing, hoping that the problem would resolve itself, but it hasn't so far. Even after forcing Logos 4 to quit, the program does not actually quit, but continues to run, albeit with program windows closed. I have to open activity monitor and quit it from there. I'm using the 4.5a stable release (v4.51.0.2048), same as RC2. Logos 4 is currently unusable on my machine.

Seth

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 26 2012 10:47 PM | Locked

Seth Hewitt:
Similar to Martin's problem, when I click on a resource tab the program locks up

Wonder what is open in Logos 4.5a ?

Curious about screenshot showing resource tab to click that causes lock up ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS