Westminster Bible Companion Series PrePub

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 20 2012 4:45 PM

http://www.logos.com/product/16061/westminster-bible-companion-series

I know I talked about this series along with a couple of other pre pubs but I thought I would try get people interested in this series. I have read some of the samples Logos has provided and think it looks like quite a good deal. Here are a couple reviews from Amazon talking about Isaiah and Mathew volumes.

Isaiah (Westminster Bible Companion) (Volume 1, Chapters 1-39) (Paperback) Judgement and Promise - the book of Isaiah is pregnant with both and Walter Brueggemann is the textual midwife. Brueggemann (Professor of Old Testament Theology at Columbia Theological Seminary, Atlanta) is first and foremost a theologian of the text, and his theology emanates from scripture. After a lifetime of devotion as a scholar of Biblical text, Brueggemann sees God living and flowing through, in and under the scripture.

Throughout the Old Testament, and clearly in Isaiah, Brueggemann's God is an entangled God. A God who purposely embroils Himself in the affairs of a despairing and divergent world. Isaiah is God's ordained messenger, sent to challenge, critique and criticize the false security and faith in Israel's society. Isaiah begs them to realize their doomed destiny. He is calling out relentlessly to Judah, plaintively petitioning them to beware of the impending apocalypse. Yet, the people, steeped in religion, and mesmerized by the glitter of their materialistic well being is no longer capable of scrutinizing the incongruities, ambiguities and contradictions that shackles them and leads them towards captivity.

In Bruggemann's commentary Isaiah saw a time of darkness and despair, where doom was inevitable and the eyes of the people of Israel, especially the religious and political leaders of Judah, were blind. This was a time when the people called by God, redeemed by God, actively rejected God. Death and destruction were to follow. Jerusalem would fall. The temple would be leveled in 587 B.C.E. Yet for all of this Isaiah did not leave the people without hope (Isaiah 40-66); for he saw a time when promise would follow judgement. He prophecies of a time for the people of God when peace, spiritual prosperity and a new beginning would come.

Walter Brueggemann excels in his ability to illuminate the text and truth for his readers. As he exegetes the scripture, laying bear its truth and its relevancy to us today, he calls for the reader to draw their own conclusions about the application of the text to today's world. His commentary on Isaiah is scholarly, but not densely academic. It breaths new life into ancient texts. Isaiah 1-39 by Walter Brueggeman is a recommended addition to any biblical library, and a must for any student of Isaiah.

Matthew (Westminster Bible Companion) (Paperback)

I own a lot of biblical commentaries. I have shelves and shelves full of commentaries. As a pastor, I have a responsibility to make sure that the message I am proclaiming is a responsible, well-informed, theologically grounded interpretation of the biblical passage at hand that says something to us about who God is and what that means for how we are called to go about living our lives. Some biblical passages are, quite simply, difficult to understand. I routinely take comfort in the fact that there have been countless generations of Christians before me who have wrestled with similar questions about how to interpret scripture faithfully in a particular context. There are many people who have devoted much time and energy to reading scripture and telling others what it all means. Frankly, I find some much more helpful than others. Sometimes I read commentaries and find myself thinking, "I didn't learn a thing from that." Other times, I think, "Well, that was interesting historical background, but I'm still left with the question of what this means for me and for the community of faith for which I have a responsibility to provide spiritual leadership." And at other times, I find myself thinking, "I could have done better than that myself." 

In all my travels through the scriptures, and in all the time and energy I have spent poring over commentaries and other theological tomes, I have found only two commentaries on Matthew's gospel that I consistently find to be helpful, clear, informative, grounded, articulate, and thought-provoking. I have found only two that, when I read them, I have "Aha!" moments, and I find myself energized and amazed by what I am reading, and can't wait to share it with others. I have found only two that have a solid understanding of the historical context combined with a tremendous depth of theological insight. One of them is W. D. Davies and Dale C. Allison Jr.'s three-volume commentary in the International Critical Commentary series. The other is this one-volume commentary by Thomas G. Long in the Westminster Bible Companion Series. 

This volume can easily be read by an average lay person. There is no extended reference to the Greek text; there are no long critical notes that only but the heavy-duty scholar or preacher would find interesting or informative (though Long has enough training and knowledge that he could have provided both). The translation of the New Revised Standard Version is provided, with a commentary following each passage. And what commentary! This is a commentary that dares to wonder what Matthew was trying to tell his audience about God, and what, in turn, that means for what we might tell our audiences about God today. I continually find myself amazed by the richness of this relatively slim little volume. Here is a book that I turn to again and again when I am getting ready to stare into the faces of a community of faith and try to tell them something about God. How nice it is -- just to give one example out of hundreds I could give -- to be puzzling over the proper way to interpret the parable of the laborers in the vineyard in Matthew 20 and then open this book up to find words like this: "Suddenly we see plainly the true poverty of the first-hour workers. Everybody in the parable is tendered with the wealth of the kingdom; the deep river of providence flows through everybody's life. God gives everyone a daily wage so extravagant that no one could ever spend it all. A deluge of grace descends on all; torrents of joy and blessing fall everywhere. And there these first-hour workers stand, drenched in God's mercy, an ocean of peace running down their faces, clutching their little contracts and whining that they deserve more rain." This is a very accessible volume that helps us all to feel drenched in God's mercy. Thank you, Tom Long, for the work that you have done laboring in the vineyard.

-Dan

PS: As with the NIB Pre-Pub samples page I will only post to this topic to encourage interest. 

Posts 1027
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 20 2012 5:41 PM

I've been on this commentary for a few weeks now but the progress  bar doesn't seem to have moved at all Sad It would be great if more people would bid on this, $249.95 for a commentary series covering every book of the Bible seems like a shrewd investment to me.

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2012 10:25 PM

David Carter:

I've been on this commentary for a few weeks now but the progress  bar doesn't seem to have moved at all Sad It would be great if more people would bid on this, $249.95 for a commentary series covering every book of the Bible seems like a shrewd investment to me.

I agree with you… this series is getting close to production levels… A few more interested people might put this over the top...

-Dan

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:22 PM

Just a quick bump on the topic as I notice we are getting pretty close to the end.

-Dan

Posts 1560
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:32 PM

How are these introduction different then any other introduction? I looked at them before,but most of the commentaries that I own have introductions to the books. So why are these set apart from the rest?

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 5:33 PM

The introduction portion is quite concise, must admit i really ever use the introduction to a commentary often although I know many contain valuable information that the commentary may refer back to. I can not give you any special information on the introductory sections to each commentary. If you go to amazon.com you can examine the Introductions and various parts of the volume.

-Dan

Posts 1560
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 5:45 PM

I actually thought these were like lexhams bible guides, rather then a commentary. That is why I asked about the introduction information. Guess I did not look deep enough first glance.. Big Smile

Posts 177
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 11:22 AM

Don't see Corinthians on the list of books - does anyone know if this is to be added at a later date? Didn't spot it on Amazon either.

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 12:04 PM

I am unaware of the date for the release of the final volume…. even one of the volumes listed will not be released till March, although production times for Logos I would suspect if it were under contract tomorrow it likely would't be out till after then. My best guess is that sometime in late 2013 or 2014 is when the last volume will be out, I would guess like all Logos items it will then go through standard pre pub to get made.

-Dan

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 6:38 PM

Dan Francis:

Just a quick bump on the topic as I notice we are getting pretty close to the end.

-Dan

Peace, Dan!       *smile*                     I AM signed up for this.    However, I just upgraded from L4 Portfolio to L5 Portfolio and am a little tight fund wise.  Two things ...  ???? Do you think I have 6 months before it comes out?                I guess we would just be guessing, eh???       Westminster is designed for the laity which I am not; however some of the authors please me.                ???     Finally, will BestCommentaries.com be reviewing Westminster???

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:50 PM

I have no crystal ball, but my guess would be a good 6 months minimum. That is based on the facts, it hasn't got to contract levels and one of the volume included has already been delayed till (04/23/13 release date gleaned from CBD). Another tittle from the same publisher two-thirds the size has been under contract for many months with no projected release date. I hope i am wrong but I don't see this one getting to shipping date before the fall at the earliest. That being said I have no inside information from Logos and if Logos decided this was a top priority for them I bet they could have it out by May sometime, but I really would't advise you to hold your breath on it.

-dan

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 11:59 PM

Thanks, Dan!          *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 12:49 PM

Alan:

Don't see Corinthians on the list of books - does anyone know if this is to be added at a later date? Didn't spot it on Amazon either.

Keren Strothman from WJKP has emailed me and told me there is currently not a projected release date for this volume. It is being worked on but my guess is it is well past the 6 month off date..

-dan

Posts 450
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 6:17 AM

BUMP! Would love to see this cross the finish line and get into production! Even if you plan on dropping it before it comes out or returning it, please help get this going!

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 3:57 PM

Placed my pre-order a few days ago. It's an excellent series - not as detailed as Interpretation or New Interpreter's, but more of a "lay person" commentary (and I don't mean that in a derogatory fashion!). Carolyn Pressler's volume on Joshua, Judges, and Ruth is outstanding; the same goes for Brueggemann on Isaiah (two volumes), Seow on Daniel, Peterson on Samuel, Fretheim on Kings, Long on Matthew, and Ringe on Luke. I haven't read through the O'Day & Hylen volume on John, but O'Day is a great Johannine scholar, so I imagine that it, too, would be really helpful.

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 4:57 PM

Yes I think it is quite a bargain, and while primarily aimed at laity from what I have read in them I would bet most pastors will benefit from them too.. It really is a new Daily Study Bible for the 21st century… Not that I don't love Barclay's and it's OT companion. Hopefully we get this later on in the year...

-Dan

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2013 11:34 AM

BUMP for promoting resource. Feb 2013

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2013 2:29 PM

Add my promotion, too! Would love to have this in Logos sooner rather than later!

Posts 1027
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2013 7:43 PM

Dan Francis:
Hopefully we get this later on in the year...

I see it is due to ship on 7/17..........

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2013 8:41 PM

David Carter:

Dan Francis:
Hopefully we get this later on in the year...

I see it is due to ship on 7/17..........

That's great news! I hadn't seen that! Hurray!

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS