Logos for Windows Phone

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 34 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 13
Andrew Lane | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 22 2012 10:11 AM

Is there a future date that we will have an app for the Windows Phone?  Would love to access my books from my phone.

Posts 29496
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2012 10:24 AM

Andrew Lane:
Is there a future date that we will have an app for the Windows Phone?

I have not heard of any definite plans to create a windows phone app. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2012 10:53 AM

In my humble opinion don't count on it. Windows Phone is such a small market share (well less than 5% of new sales) now, it probably doesn't make business sense to support it but I am not affiliated with Logos in any way and am not privy to their plans...

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2012 11:22 AM

Andrew Lane:

Is there a future date that we will have an app for the Windows Phone?  Would love to access my books from my phone.

Logos apps for Windows Phone depends on sales volume and usage by Logos users.  Seem to remember a Logos user survey (last year) => Please try the user survey! that allows comments (e.g. Windows Phone) to be entered during survey.

Microsoft quarterly report did not break out Windows Phone sales, only "excitement" => http://www.slashgear.com/microsofts-windows-phone-sales-silence-speaks-volumes-19210138/

Gartner estimates in Feb 2012 show Windows Phone sales increase => http://wmpoweruser.com/gartner-windows-phone-sales-increased-450-yoy-62-between-q3-and-q4-2011/ (caveat: market share % is well below when Logos announced iOS and Android app development)

Alternative: can use http://biblia.com in Windows Phone browser for online access to your Logos library.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9108
LogosEmployee

Andrew Lane:

We do not plan to develop a Logos Bible Software app for Windows Phone 7 at this time.

For more background, see the UserVoice discussion: http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/510027-logos-on-windows-mobile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 22 2012 5:32 PM

Bradley Grainger:

Andrew Lane:

We do not plan to develop a Logos Bible Software app for Windows Phone 7 at this time.

For more background, see the UserVoice discussion: http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/510027-logos-on-windows-mobile

Following Bradley's link from Logos User Voice suggestion to Windows phone development suggestion => http://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-app-platform noticed 3rd and 4th suggestions (by number of votes) are related and "under review", which were posted on 28 Dec 2011.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 5:58 AM

With the future release of Windows Phone 8 being based on C++, surely this decision is likely to overturned?

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 6:13 AM

I have trouble deciphering Logos cloudy-talk but this shifted about 3 weeks back. I don't remember the thread. But the dual support on W8 is likely to impact a lot of development plans.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 769
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 6:46 AM

Tony Kan:

With the future release of Windows Phone 8 being based on C++, surely this decision is likely to overturned?

Don't count on it. Again with such a small user base it does not make business sense to devote developmental resources to Windows phone. 

Posts 1720
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 8:39 AM

Tony Kan:

This helps, but Microsoft is doing it by essentially throwing out today's Windows Phone 7.x platform and moving to a Windows 8 platform. So while we may have support for Windows 8 "Metro" (on tablet and phone), you'd probably need to be on a Windows 8 device. We will not be investing in the now-abandoned Windows Phone 7.x platform.

Posts 66
Christopher S Macy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 9:44 AM

EXCITING! Buying the surface RT when its released. I cannot wait to see how your engineers build the metro Logos :)

Thanks Bob, you are your team are doing a great work, keep it up!

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 9:59 AM

Christopher S Macy:

EXCITING! Buying the surface RT when its released. I cannot wait to see how your engineers build the metro Logos :)

Thanks Bob, you are your team are doing a great work, keep it up!

Yes

Bohuslav

Posts 29496
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 10:22 AM

Christopher S Macy:

Did you see the word "may" in Bob's response?

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 10:29 AM

Alabama ... I think you'd need to do an exegetical review of the usage of the Bob-ian 'may', whether it translates to 'probably won't', 'might', 'could' or possibly (but unlikely) 'probably will if our competitors force our hand.'

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 12:12 PM

DMB:

Alabama ... I think you'd need to do an exegetical review of the usage of the Bob-ian 'may', whether it translates to 'probably won't', 'might', 'could' or possibly (but unlikely) 'probably will if our competitors force our hand.'

In my poor English Bob's "may" reads:  "sure, we will do it." Stick out tongue

Bohuslav

Posts 29496
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 1:48 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
In my poor English Bob's "may" reads:  "sure, we will do it."

Smile

I think die hard windows users have reason for optimism, but it is not yet known whether this attempt will be much more successful or not. The iPad mini may put a crimp in MSFT's plans yet.

Posts 171
Mark Nigro | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 17 2014 6:06 PM

Would love to see Logos on Windows Phone 8.

Mark Nigro

Pastor/Teacher/Student/Writer

www.calvarychapelbiblecollege.com

Posts 28
Matt Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 3 2014 8:00 AM

So, it's been quite a while since I've seen anything posted on future possibilities with WP (or RT). It seems apparent that Microsoft will be merging the RT & WP line into a unified mobile OS. So, that still leaves that admittedly small--but excited--user-base without any real app on par with iOS or Android Logos apps.

With the new MS unified app-building structure, and the Visual Studio changes that make so much of the development process a turn-key production, I can't for the life of me understand why Logos hates WP users so much. Crying It absolutely kills me that I have to try to go to biblia.com to even read a book that I own in Logos.

When Apple is STILL such a small percentage of the desktop environment (OS X has a 6.7% global usage rate in 2014), but Logos developed the ENTIRE desktop app for their OS, it seems like the "percentage of market" argument isn't one that is uniformly decisive. In fact, I'd wager the user base was even smaller when Logos made the decision. Small user bases can be worth it.

Windows Phone 8 won't be the next iOS or Android. But, it sure appears that MS is in it for the long haul. They purchased an entire hardware company to ensure it could continue. They've shown with XBOX that they're willing to financially prop up entire ecosystems until they turn into something bigger. The fear shouldn't be that MS will drop the system. The WP OS will be around for the foreseeable future. User percentages may not explode, but numbers of users will. Would a million users be enough? We're already there.

I know you're a business. And, you aren't in business to appease the vast minority. But, with the pieces that MS has put in place, it just seems hard to believe that there isn't anyone at Logos who could port the app and bless the rest of us with a mobile solution for our investment in your company.

Of course, I'll continue to use Logos on the desktop. There's no hostility or foment of mutiny. But, it sure would be nice to show my friends your product on my phone.

my two cents...Matt

@matthewlhudson on Twitter.

Posts 29496
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 3 2014 9:33 AM

Matt Hudson:
It absolutely kills me that I have to try to go to biblia.com to even read a book that I own in Logos.

There already is a simple app in the Windows store.

Matt Hudson:
When Apple is STILL such a small percentage of the desktop environment (OS X has a 6.7% global usage rate in 2014), but Logos developed the ENTIRE desktop app for their OS, it seems like the "percentage of market" argument isn't one that is uniformly decisive. In fact, I'd wager the user base was even smaller when Logos made the decision. Small user bases can be worth it.

A couple of thoughts: Yes, OSX is a "small" user base... but it is one which spends a considerable amount of money on "tech." Second, Macs have a much stronger hold on college students (including seminary). In other words, the potential market for Logos is considerably higher than the 6.7% you quoted. 

Matt Hudson:
you aren't in business to appease the vast minority.

The "vast minority"? That is a new one to me. Smile

Matt Hudson:
with the pieces that MS has put in place, it just seems hard to believe that there isn't anyone at Logos who could port the app and bless the rest of us with a mobile solution for our investment in your company.

If it were already "real easy," Logos would have done it. If it becomes "real easy," Logos will do it. If the market can justify it, Logos will do it.

Side note: If I weren't a Mac / iOS user, I would be inclined to give a Nokia Windows phone a glance... It seems to be a good phone and i would be more inclined to go that route than an Android phone.

Posts 24780
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 3 2014 9:39 AM

alabama24:

Matt Hudson:
It absolutely kills me that I have to try to go to biblia.com to even read a book that I own in Logos.

There already is a simple app in the Windows store.

But not one which can run on a Windows phone 

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS