Richmond Times

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 23
Sean Collins | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 23 2012 7:19 PM

I recently was looking at my orders history and came across the Richmond-Times Dispatch that I downloaded as a free resource that was offered a few months ago (could have been longer times gets away from me). I was wondering if anybody has found a way to incorporate this massive collection of articles into study or anything?  If so how did you utilize them as a collection and/or guide template?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 7:40 PM

Wiki has => Example Collections that has many Perseus examples, including History – US Civil War

For President's Day. Logos offered Inaugural addresses resource for free => http://blog.logos.com/2012/02/get-a-free-resource-for-washingtons-birthday/

President Lincoln's 2nd inaugural address is fascinating to read; follow-up to Vyrso freebie (on Feb 5) => http://vyrso.com/product/13821/walking-with-lincoln-spiritual-strength-from-americas-favorite-president

Searching History – US Civil War collection for prayer and/or fasting finds some results to ponder.  A search for Thanksgiving NEAR day finds more to ponder; perhaps some sermon illustration(s) since U.S. history used to have more days of Thanksgiving.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 23
Sean Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 7:53 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I searched the forums before I posted, but I failed to check the wiki page :) Have they proved useful for you, personally, in the past? I am a book junkie (umm.... hoarder) so I will never get rid of them, but it does help to get suggestions. Yes, I know the first step is admitting you have a problem

Thanks,

Sean

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 8:05 PM

Sean Collins:
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I searched the forums before I posted, but I failed to check the wiki page :) Have they proved useful for you, personally, in the past?

Yes.  Personally have tendency to include wiki reference(s) in my forum replies; have learned a lot plus have a lot to learn.

Thankful for many friendly forum discussions about using Logos Bible Software.  Likewise Thankful for helpful volunteer contributions by many to the Logos wiki and topics web sites.  Also appreciate Logos employee contributions to the wiki, especially release notes.

Blog article was written by a Logos user => http://blog.logos.com/2011/03/have_you_used_the_logos_4_online_manual_its_free/ who contributed and improved many wiki pages.  Thanks to Steve Clark Big Smile

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2898
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 8:13 PM

Getting ready for Ash Wednesday message, I searched the Richmond newspapers for Ash Wedneday.  Found an article about Ash Wednesday in 1863 with interesting instructions about how Episcpalians and Catholics were keeping Ash Wednesday and Lent.  Made a nice introduction illustration, and pointed out that in the midst of adversity and war, they paused for eternal issues.

Now I am Methodist, so Ash Wednesday is relevant to me, and I am from Mississippi, so we don't realize we lost the war.  Still, I have found a number of interesting illustrations in my War of Northern Agression Collection.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 29797
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 8:17 PM

Sean Collins:
I recently was looking at my orders history and came across the Richmond-Times Dispatch

I live in VA and our local rag uses quotes from this daily. There are interesting tid bits. My favorite is an article on a Pastor's convention debating the appropriateness of Ministers carrying guns into the pulpit. Some argued that it was ok because Pastor's did it in Texas. Big Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 9:16 PM

Michael Childs:
War of Northern Agression Collection.

Thanks for the chuckle....I recall a time when my late wife told me about her Grandmother talking about the 'War of Northern Agreession"....she was from Virginia

Posts 1
SkinnyChic | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 9:23 PM

That is  really intresting. To find a paper of 1863 is for me like a magic. like Ash and even i am very much intrested in History.

Skinny Chic magazine

Posts 66
David Beard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 26 2012 4:38 PM

Sean, I teach AP US History and use the Richmond Times resources (and others) as primary source documents for my students.  During our Civil War Studies we used the Declaration of Independence of the State of Missouri from Claiborne Jackson for my students to summarize as an example.  I have incorporated all the Civil War resources with a PBB resource I created out of notes from our text book and a few other tid-bits like the free innaugural speeches just offered on Pres. Day, the Declaration of Independence, Patriots Bible, American Minute Devotional, etc...I put all these in a collection and can search in a few seconds any question students come up with in class I don't have ready answers for...I would imagine pastors could also do the same with resources for specific sermon preparation concerning patriotic themes...DAB

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS