Why I am starting to hate this software

Page 4 of 7 (124 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 123 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 25105
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 6:32 PM

BillS:

Thanks for the response... I've seen the "Start Now" button in the splash screen & have tried it... does Logos miss something I'd care about if I do that?

No. Whether or not you made changes just before you shut down L4 it will do what is necessary on startup; "Start Now" just defers it.

The new Sync establishes milestones & sync's document stores at startup and when L4 is running, even if you make no changes to documents/preferences and even if you've no mobile device with which to sync!  It will not sync whilst the app is idle!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 6:49 PM

Randall Lind:
I formatted my hard drive and reinstall everything

Knowing Logos 4 is resource intensive, I created a Fast partition for a custom Logos 4 installation => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/24555/254929.aspx#254929

Later reply in What's your benchmark? thread has partitioning insights => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/24555/295749.aspx#295749 and => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/24555/295852.aspx#295852 plus a follow-up speed tweak => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/24555/295894.aspx#295894

Since Logos 4 is custom installed in its own partition, which always has fast disk response, Windows patching seems to not affect Logos 4 usage speed.  Also, Logos 4 is still quite usable after adding thousands of Perseus resources plus Master Library Builder (2,010 vols.)

Caveat: if want to completely rebuild indexes, have learned my 320 MB RAMDisk is too small.  For incremental indexing, works fine.

An option to consider is a Solid State Disk (SSD) for Logos 4 custom installation.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10599
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 3:50 AM

George Somsel:
If anything, I think Accordance has probably lost business to Logos.  Originally Logos was PC only while Accordance handled the MAC.  All of the MAC users of Logos either were or could have been Accordance users (and some may use both programs.).

I know of one Logos user who has shifted his primary Bible study to Accordance and a few Accordance users who tried Logos and went back to Accordance. In the early days of L4, I was accused of promoting Accordance on the Logos forums. Now, I seldom even open Accordance. Then, only to keep up with upgrades. I agree with George (scary thought) that Accordance sales have probably done little to hurt Logos.

Posts 10324
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 6:24 AM

Well, this is one Logos user that would 'add' Accordance, if it supported PCs (sorry Jack, as regards the Mac). As much as I've whined about Logos (4 mainly), my little Libronix (only 3K books) is just my absolute favorite and L4 now runs like a top.

But when it's time to buy resources, Logos is all tapped out. I recognize this is strictly personal and I've no complaint with Logos here. But each software company seems to attract a specific customer population. Having watched Jastrow go nowhere, and Samaritan Penteteuch disappear, and no Targum translations, I am convinced these type of customers are all over at the Accordance book store.

Believe it or not, when it was time to spend my credits, one of my volumes was a $150 book on Asherah. $1 per page. But it turned out to be well worth it (the author though was about 180 degrees from me). The clue was 'spindle whorls' and 2nd Kings ... which then tracked to the Qumran archaeology book (very good). You just never know where you're going to end up.

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 7:09 AM

Jack Caviness:

George Somsel:
If anything, I think Accordance has probably lost business to Logos.  Originally Logos was PC only while Accordance handled the MAC.  All of the MAC users of Logos either were or could have been Accordance users (and some may use both programs.).

I know of one Logos user who has shifted his primary Bible study to Accordance and a few Accordance users who tried Logos and went back to Accordance. In the early days of L4, I was accused of promoting Accordance on the Logos forums. Now, I seldom even open Accordance. Then, only to keep up with upgrades. I agree with George (scary thought) that Accordance sales have probably done little to hurt Logos.

I'm not sure if I am the one Jack is talking about, but I am using Accordance more and more these days.

When Logos 4 was initially released I got the feeling that Logos was going to make an attempt to "get some market share" in original language searching. When Perseus was released my hopes really skyrocketed. Alas, it was all a pipe dream (especially on the Mac side of things). Logos has never caught up with the speed and reliability of its competitors in terms of study of the original languages. This is just unacceptable in my book.

Yes, Logos was the first on the block with syntax searching, but its now a terrible user experience (at least on the Mac). Yes, Logos has some great morphological searching capabilities, but its a terrible user experience (again, at least on the Mac). I've been using the beta (so I expect some buggy-ness), but we are between beta's now and there are several unresolved morph and syntax search issues. I, in all honesty, can't remember a time that I have used the morphological or syntactical search functionality in Logos without being confronted by a bug. That is just not acceptable in my book.

Logos is expanding in some interesting directions, and I appreciate many of the advanced features of Logos. However, I can't use Logos for the one thing I bought it for: original language study.

Accordance doesn't have all the resources, but it does do original languages well.

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 7:24 AM

Jonathan:

Jack Caviness:

George Somsel:

I'm not sure if I am the one Jack is talking about, but I am using Accordance more and more these days.

When Logos 4 was initially released I got the feeling that Logos was going to make an attempt to "get some market share" in original language searching. When Perseus was released my hopes really skyrocketed. Alas, it was all a pipe dream (especially on the Mac side of things). Logos has never caught up with the speed and reliability of its competitors in terms of study of the original languages. This is just unacceptable in my book.

Yes, Logos was the first on the block with syntax searching, but its now a terrible user experience (at least on the Mac). Yes, Logos has some great morphological searching capabilities, but its a terrible user experience (again, at least on the Mac). I've been using the beta (so I expect some buggy-ness), but we are between beta's now and there are several unresolved morph and syntax search issues. I, in all honesty, can't remember a time that I have used the morphological or syntactical search functionality in Logos without being confronted by a bug. That is just not acceptable in my book.

Logos is expanding in some interesting directions, and I appreciate many of the advanced features of Logos. However, I can't use Logos for the one thing I bought it for: original language study.

Accordance doesn't have all the resources, but it does do original languages well.

There is a way to solve your problems.

http://www.hp.com/

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 7:35 AM

I reinstalled logos4 again 2 times last night and sometime while I slept it finish. Only question I woke up and index was at 73% and windows rebooted do to a update and then indexing went back to 0%. Is this normal?

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 7:39 AM

George Somsel:

I agree... an HP product would complement the buggy-ness nicely. I am sure that I'd be so distracted by other issues that I'd hardly notice Logos' short-comings. Stick out tongue

Unfortunately, Mac users are accustomed to functionality.

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 7:44 AM

Jonathan:

Functionally nonfunctional?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10324
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 7:48 AM

Randall ... that sounds pretty normal (with a Windows update). One time my indexer got stuck at 30% and luckily a reboot got it started back at 0%. If it had restarted at 30% I'd be in a real pickle.

I hope you know we all are 'rooting' for you. You're admirably stubborn in getting Logos to work. Apparently 'sometimes' a user runs into a whole set of unexpected issues.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 7:53 AM

Jonathan:

George Somsel:

I agree... an HP product would complement the buggy-ness nicely. I am sure that I'd be so distracted by other issues that I'd hardly notice Logos' short-comings. Stick out tongue

I grew up in Indiana.  Since they were manufactured in the state, you can imagine that I saw more Studebakers than you might see elsewhere.  Some of their designs were rather forward-looking, but they tended to be underpowered.  I can recall that when we passed a Studebaker we would roll down the windows and yell, "Get a car!"  Well, "Get a PC."

george
gfsomsel

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 7:57 AM

George Somsel:

I grew up in Indiana.  Since they were manufactured in the state, you can imagine that I saw more Studebakers than you might see elsewhere.  Some of their designs were rather forward-looking, but they tended to be underpowered.  I can recall that when we passed a Studebaker we would roll down the windows and yell, "Get a car!"  Well, "Get a PC."

So you grew up in Indiana? Ahhh, that explains a lot. I also have a crazy uncle from Indiana. Stick out tongue

Just kidding around of course.

Posts 10324
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 8:05 AM

Regarding Studebakers, I wonder why really neato cars all start out underpowered?

My guess, from my corporate days, is that forward thinkers have to beg for resources, under-equip to meet ROI calcs, and end up 'the Studebaker'.

Here in Sedona, the various car clubs like to visit and 'strut their stuff'. Almost inevitably they're driving those neato cars that everyone now loves, but didn't sell at the time.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 8:26 AM

Jonathan:

So you grew up in Indiana? Ahhh, that explains a lot. I also have a crazy uncle from Indiana. Stick out tongue

Just kidding around of course.

Of course you are.  I used to feel that way too, but then I grew up.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 8:44 AM

George Somsel:

I grew up in Indiana. [....]

Kewl!, Marion County roots here…..I suspected you did, based on u'r accent....Confused

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 8:49 AM

Robert Booth:

George Somsel:

Kewl!, Marion County roots here…..I suspected you did, based on u'r accent....Confused

Speaking of Indiana.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 8:51 AM

Jonathan.

And your point is? [you are not trying to hijack the thread by meandering arounds the woods looking for a seat are you?]

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 8:53 AM

Jonathan:

Robert Booth:

George Somsel:

Speaking of Indiana.

Big Smile  Big Smile  Big Smile 

The problem (besides the fact that one can't detect accents in email) is that I don't have a Hoosier accent (which varies within the state) since in college I deliberately got rid of it when some students at Calvin said "You're from the South, aren't you?"  Initiate operation accent change.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 8:54 AM

Robert Booth:

Jonathan.

And your point is?

In jest, I'm saying we better give this thread back to its rightful purpose.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 8:54 AM

Robert Booth:

Howard

george
gfsomsel

Page 4 of 7 (124 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS