Kindle integration

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 2 2012 7:22 AM

I know there are a number of people who have expressed a desire to be able to read their Logos library on Kindle (or other e-ink devices)...I also know there are some workarounds using exporting, etc that do the trick for the most part...but I was thinking it would be nice if there was an easier/more seamless method.

I'm not sure if this is withing the realm of possibility, but I was thinking that if a Kindle account could be tied to our Logos software (maybe have it be done through CS or something in order to prevent/minimize the possibility of exporting your books to friends' Kindles by changing the Kindle e-mail address in your software) so that the software was aware of the device's e-mail, we could then click an "export to my kindle" button and Logos would automatically convert the book (without the 100 page limit of the current workaround) to the proper format and e-mail it to my Kindle. I know I'm probably dreaming, but that would be very cool if possible.

Sorry for the ridiculous run-on sentence...but hopefully it makes sense Wink

Posts 538
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2012 7:31 AM

I know that the chances of this happening are slim, but it sure would be nice.  I really don't want to try to do much study on my Kindle, but it is my first choice for reading a book.

Posts 356
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2012 7:46 AM

Nord Zootman:
but it is my first choice for reading a book.

It was for me as well, but not if the books don't have page numbers, like the Vyrso and Kindle kind.. the L4 book, designed for L4 do have page numbers, and they are great.

I will be informing Amazon on this as well, just bought two more books and got them in print instead of Kindle... they weren't available in L4 or Vyrso.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2012 7:52 AM

Nord Zootman:
I really don't want to try to do much study on my Kindle, but it is my first choice for reading a book.

Yep, I agree.  Even trying to use a Bible on the Kindle is a bit of a nuisance, but for anything that is being read instead of jumped around in, the reading experience on Kindle (or any e-ink reader) beats that on iPad, iPhone, or a monitor hands down.

Posts 538
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2012 7:57 AM

Ralph Mauch:
It was for me as well, but not if the books don't have page numbers,

Page numbers are not a major issue for me, but most of my reading is just for my own use in ministry - I'm not doing much writing where I need to reference page numbers.  Quoting in a sermon is not like quoting in an academic work.

Posts 30823
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2012 10:41 AM

I understand from your perspective why you would want to read your Logos books on the Kindle. I can understand why Logos would want you to be able to read those books on the kindle device. Why would Amazon want you to be able to do that (they wouldn't). For this reason your idea doesn't stand a chance. Sad

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 538
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2012 10:52 AM

alabama24:

I understand from your perspective why you would want to read your Logos books on the Kindle. I can understand why Logos would want you to be able to read those books on the kindle device. Why would Amazon want you to be able to do that (they wouldn't). For this reason your idea doesn't stand a chance. Sad

Oh - you mean a profit is important to a business? Smile

Posts 30823
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2012 11:13 AM

Nord Zootman:
Oh - you mean a profit is important to a business? Smile

Yes. Especially when Amazon loses money on every Kindle. Smile

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2012 11:25 AM

alabama24:

The only flaw in your argument is that Amazon would have nothing to do with it.  All the functionality required to make my solution work already exists.  Amazon already allows you to email documents to your Kindle for display/reading...they don't make any money from those documents either.  The only major logistic that would have to be worked out would be ensuring that we didn't have an easy way of "sharing" (or more likely "giving") our books to others in Kindle form.  That's why I made the suggestion of having CS do the tying together of the Logos account with the Kindle e-mail address.  This would make it extremely unlikely that someone would call up to have their associated Kindle address changed unless it were actually because they had gotten a new device with a new address...whereas if we could just make the change in settings in the program, we could theoretically change our associated address to a friend's device, send them the book, and then change our address back.  (Just to be clear, I would never do that, but I completely understand the concern and the risk of that type of thing happening).

Posts 30823
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2012 11:42 AM

OK. I guess I just don't understand how kindles work. Thankfully. Wink

Posts 36305
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2012 2:14 PM

alabama24:
I can understand why Logos would want you to be able to read those books on the kindle device. Why would Amazon want you to be able to do that (they wouldn't).

There is already a free service that converts eBooks to Kindle format ... greatly increased my Kindle library I must say.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 33
Randy Butler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 7 2012 8:03 AM

Kknight78:
without the 100 page limit of the current workaround

What workaround are you referring to?

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 7 2012 9:46 AM

Randy Butler:

Kknight78:
without the 100 page limit of the current workaround

What workaround are you referring to?

Fourth post from the bottom on this page gives a summary of several options: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/27872.aspx?PageIndex=6

The broader thread has more description/explanation, along with much discussion of legality, etc.

Posts 10
Kelly Don Oliver | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 6:52 AM

I am in the opposite camp. I want to be able to bring Kindle books into Logos, only because there are books available in Kindle that Logos does not have.

I much prefer the functionality of Logos over Kindle. 

I want to be able to read it, mark it up and have it linked with my Logos resources. I use an Android phone, an iPad and a Windows laptop, and the Kindle apps for those platforms is honestly, Lousy, compared to Logos.

It would be nice if Amazon would wake up and realize that not everyone wants another Device but we do want books.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 7:02 AM

Kelly Don Oliver:
I want to be able to bring Kindle books into Logos, only because there are books available in Kindle that Logos does not have.

Currently, Logos 4 personal books do not sync; thread => Open Kindle Books in logos may be informative.

Vyrso resources also work in Logos => http://vyrso.com/

Option: can suggest resources for Logos to consider in this forum or email to product suggestions => http://www.logos.com/about/contact

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10
Kelly Don Oliver | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 7:09 AM

Yes, I realize that, and that is why I would love to see it happen.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 7:36 AM

Kelly Don Oliver:

Yes, I realize that, and that is why I would love to see it happen.

Since Amazon and Logos are businesses seeking to profit from resource sales, not know about potential for eBooks purchased on Amazon being usable on Logos.  On the surface, seems to have a cash flow issue.

Personally dreaming about Vyrso having thousands more eBooks.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 30823
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 7:49 AM

Kelly Don Oliver:
It would be nice if Amazon would wake up and realize that not everyone wants another Device but we do want books.

I understand your frustration, but it is misplaced. Amazon wake up? In addition to their own Kindles, they provide apps for Mac, PC, Android, iOS, Blackberry & Windows Mobile. 

Kelly Don Oliver:
I want to be able to bring Kindle books into Logos, only because there are books available in Kindle that Logos does not have.

FYI - In case you didn't know… Vyrso is the eBook store for "trade" books (the kind you would find in your local "Christian" book store). There are many books on Vyrso which are not in Logos. Vyrso books do work on all Logos platforms (PC, Mac, iOS, Andriod, Biblia.com).

http://vyrso.com/

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS