Will the Upcoming Notes Importing Feature Work With Bible Resources Prior to DLS v3.0?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 98
Tim Lord | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 12 2009 11:14 PM

I began making extensive note annotations in my Bible (NASB95) prior to the release of Logos version 3.  When Logos v3.0 came out a few years ago, I was one of those people who sadly discovered, once I updated to the NASB95 Bible for DLS v3.0, that my note annotation highlights were almost all relocated into entirely wrong locations throughout my NASB95 Bible.  It was a big mess with seemingly all the highlighted text and annotation icons shifted "randomly" to completely wrong locations.  Those of us who experienced this problem duly reported this issue on the Logos News Groups at that time, (I also personally talked to Dale Pritchett about this issue during the first Logos bus tour when Dale visited my area).  Logos provided a solution, but there was a problem with the solution.  The solution was a new feature that would let us "move" the highlight and note-holding annotation icon from the wrong location of passage text in the v3.0 resource to the location it was supposed to be (as originally marked in the v2.0 resource).  The big problem with this method of moving each note one by one by hand was the very large time-consuming manual effort required for someone with many hundreds, or even thousands, of Bible note annotations.  So, I decided to revert back to using the older v2.0 NASB95 Bible to avoid having to redo all my Bible note annotations until I might have the time available (20-30-40 or more hours?) to re-add all of them into the new v3.0 Bible from scratch.  Well, now we have v4.0, which is wonderful, but not likely that I can use my v2.0 NASB95 Bible anymore with Logos v4.0 like I could with v3.0 Libronix.  My request, since the Notes capability for v4.0 was not released at the same time as the v4.0 product, and is not yet released, but is on its was soon, is that Logos please be sure include the capability to import from version 2.0 annotated resources as well as from version 3.0 resources.  Could this be done, please?  Let us know.  Thank you!

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 12:14 AM

I remember this issue. I had it again later when an updated NIV was released. I spent hours reworking things by using that fix. It worked. It was tedious, but it worked.

The change in resource structure from L3 to L4 seems bigger to me than from L2 to L3. So I'm not very hopeful. L3 assigned notes to selections based on character counts from certain markers in the text (often new chapters, if I remember right).

Now the NASB and the NIV, and a bunch of others are also rev int's. What does that look like under the hood? I suppose Logos could build a database for each version to count characters in the one and assign it to the same location in the new, but that would take months.

I'm not holding my breath about notes on Bible texts copying over well between L3 and L4. I'm quite certain a conversion utility  between L2 and L4 is not being planned.

Well, I hope I'm wrong about this.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 98
Tim Lord | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 12:08 AM

If the location of annotation notes in a resource were based upon character counts from certain markers in the text, that would also seem to mean that every time a typo was fixed that changed the character count of a section of text where an annotation note was located, the annotation note would move out of place.  In which case, we need to know things like that so that we either (a) do not rely heavily on annotation notes where the text is highlighted, or (b) seek to be carefully informed as to better strategies to use when annotating text, such as avoiding highlighting all together when designating an annotation, and in the case of Bible verse annotation, locate the annotation icon at the very beginning of the Bible verse number, or whereever most appropriate, so that when character counts shift from time to time, our annotation notes are impacted the least amount possible. Logos, can you write an "article" on this topic to help us out, please?  I and others do not want to be caught by surprise with each new resource revision, and with each new release of Logos Bible software, that our annotation notes are rendered virtually useless and we have to spend hours each time redoing the large amount of effort we put in to make the annotations in the first place to help in our Bible study.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 12:44 PM

Tim, be sure to look at this forum thread and send in your notes too.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/4853/38217.aspx#38217

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 98
Tim Lord | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 7:34 PM

Richard, thanks much for your alert.  I got my file sent in.

Posts 1721
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 7:57 PM

In Logos 3 we implemented a more forgiving "anchoring" system that should survive minor differences in the text. Your file will be a good test!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS