This post has 59 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 14 2012 8:39 AM

Any roadmap for the next 6 mos. or so?

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 641
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 8:58 AM

I expect that Logos has made faithlife.com and faithlifebible.com a priority and Android App development is somewhere on the back burner. They only have so many programmers; it’s all about priorities. This is my opinion.

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 9:16 AM

I think that it is better to complete one task before moving on to the next.  But that is my opinion.  Smile

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 1720
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 9:29 AM

Tony Thomas:
I think that it is better to complete one task before moving on

I think you're right.

Win 10 Android 9 Fire OS 5

Posts 120
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 9:31 AM

I agree.  It would be great for Logos to maybe hire someone just for Android (if they haven't already) so that many of these features can be ironed out.  The last goal I heard referenced was reading plans and improved syncing for beginning 2012.  

Also, will people really pay $30/year for a tablet studybible?  I, personally, don't like subscriptions for this sort of thing.

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 11:06 AM

Offline search, selective resource download, and possibly notes/highlighting are the main things still missing for parity with the iOS app.  Am I missing something else? 

I really wish the selective resource download was available...I'm pretty much downloading only the bare minimum on my tablet since I upgraded...I'm not going to waste hours downloading things one at a time...again.  Smile  Fortunately I usually have WiFi so I can wait.

Offline search would also be helpful, but again, in combination with the selective download, because I won't have much to search if it's not downloaded.

Notes/highlighting could become very useful but I quit using the iOS app before that was added so I don't miss it, never having gotten used to it in the first place.

Once those three items are in place, I think we'd be pretty set for a good while.  Although I'm sure we could always find more to ask for.  Hopefully at least those three items are in place for the near future.

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 11:48 AM

From the outside looking in, as far as Android is concerned, I have noticed the seemingly snail's pace in developing the Logos Android app. I've yet to buy a tablet, but its primary purpose would be Logos, so I don't see my buying an Android tablet any time soon.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 12:41 PM

Tony Thomas:

I think that it is better to complete one task before moving on to the next.  But that is my opinion.  Smile

An opinion I wish Logos shared. As already noted, they can only do so much with so many developers, but that should cause all the more caution before starting new products or adding new features. My ongoing complaint? The quality of the Mac version.

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 12:44 PM

I know I'm frustrated that there isn't faster development on the Andriod platform.  I have an both an Android phone and tablet.  I refuse to believe that there are so many more Mac OS users to jusitfy more development on their side.  It's also frustrating that there doesn't seem to be any info being put out about upcoming Android updates.  Something would be nice.

Posts 6484
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 1:28 PM

Designing a website like faithlife or the study bible and writing an app for a tablet require different skills. People who are proficient in one, are not necessarily in another. The same goes for L4. 

Different software requires different programming lanuguages. Logos 4 (if memory serves me correctly) is written using C++ or some variation of it. An app for the android most likely uses another programming language.

Those who write programs for the mac and ios will not have the necessary skills (hardly proficient) to use .net and wpf.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 1:40 PM

Android apps are written in Java.  In any case, it does appear that the FLSB is being developed for iOS and Android, so some Android programming resources are being devoted to that project.  

What we are saying is that additional resources are needed to bring parity to the Android app vis a vis iOS.

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 26834
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 1:54 PM

Into Grace:
I expect that Logos has made faithlife.com and faithlifebible.com a priority and Android App development is somewhere on the back burner. They only have so many programmers; it’s all about priorities. This is my opinion.

I suspect faithlife.com and faithlifebible.com use separate resources because the programming skill set if different. My suspicion is that you ar half right. I suspect that syncing routines have been updated which are not very visible to us and because people seem to be playing with faithlife on iPads they probably are working on an Android version.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 2:56 PM

Everett Headley:

I know I'm frustrated that there isn't faster development on the Andriod platform.  I have an both an Android phone and tablet.  I refuse to believe that there are so many more Mac OS users to jusitfy more development on their side.  It's also frustrating that there doesn't seem to be any info being put out about upcoming Android updates.  Something would be nice.

Welcome Big Smile

Logos mobile development for iOS devices began many months before Android so iOS mobile features are further developed; feature parity is planned.

For smartphones, Google's Android platform has a larger market share as of Jan 2012 => http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/07/comscore-us-subscriber-count-reaches-100-million-android-and-i/

Caveat: Apple's share of smartphone profits is growing faster than Android => http://www.imore.com/2012/02/04/apple-claims-biggest-share-profits-smartphone-manufacturers/ so Apple can afford to offer/support free iOS upgrades.

For tablets, Apple sold more iPads in the 4th quarter of 2011 (15.4 million) than HP sold computers (15.1 million) => http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9223707/iPad_sales_beat_HP_Lenovo_Dell_PC_numbers

Android tablet shipments increased in 2011 over 2010 => http://www.androidauthority.com/ipad-android-market-share-report-63303/

Amazon's $ 199 Kindle Fire was the # 1 Android tablet in 2011; yet Amazon has not released sales figures so analyst estimates range from 3 to 5 million sold.

One tablet prediction is Android growth overtaking Apple by 2015 => http://androidcommunity.com/idc-says-android-tablets-to-overtake-ipad-by-2015-20120314/

With a retina display, anticipating thousands of Logos users to purchase new iPad's; watching for Android tablets with high resolution displays to ship later this year.  Note: initial price estimates for high resolution display Android tablets were higher than $ 499 for new iPad.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 3:41 PM

MJ. Smith:

Into Grace:

I suspect faithlife.com and faithlifebible.com use separate resources because the programming skill set if different. My suspicion is that you ar half right. I suspect that syncing routines have been updated which are not very visible to us and because people seem to be playing with faithlife on iPads they probably are working on an Android version.

Looking at => Logos/Vyrso for Android 0.9.4 Released noted date of 30 Jan 2012, a few days before iOS 2.0.2 mobile app release on 2 Feb 2012.  Yesterday, Vyrso 2.1 was available in Apple's App Store while Bible! 2.1 has yet to appear (with ~6 weeks between Logos iOS updates).  Searching Apple's App Store for Logos Bible Software found a Faithlife Study Bible app, which was updated to version 1.0.1 today, which has some more features than Bible! 2.0.2 (personally like horizontal screen split vis a vis vertical screen split in Bible! 2.0.2).

As a Logos user, not know when to expect the next mobile app releases for Android; hopefully soon.

By the way, appears Android development is a bit more expensive than iOS so one game developer is abandoning Android due to lack of profitability => http://mikamobile.blogspot.in/2012/03/our-future-with-android.html

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 646
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 5:39 PM

Didn't even know about the whole Faith Life project... I'm thankful that I can access anything on Android. Works good on my Dinc2 and on my HP Touchpad... Sure I'd like to have more features, but there are still features we were promised for the pc version that are still not functional, same with the Mac version... So I've just settled to the fact that I need to keep V3 around since it looks like years later Logos will not deliver. So it's how I look at the Android version as well... Also why I no longer offer Logos at our Bible College... Sold with promised features that 2 years + later my students didn't get... Logos seems to not care when asked nor when I stopped offering their Academic Program... Must not sell enough product to matter, who cares about customer promises we have presentation software and now our own Facebook/Google+ website to push.... okay rant of frustration for answering to students for logos' failures over, back to hiding

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 4:43 AM

Frank Sauer:
Didn't even know about the whole Faith Life project

General forum has thread => Unreleased Stuff

Frank Sauer:
Sure I'd like to have more features, but there are still features we were promised for the pc version that are still not functional, same with the Mac version... So I've just settled to the fact that I need to keep V3 around since it looks like years later Logos will not deliver.

Logos 3/Libronix thread => What is more useful in Libronix 3.0g ? (especially compared to Logos 4.5a) has several replies by Bob Pritchett, starting at => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/46104/346374.aspx#346374

Looking forward to vocabulary and word lists relatively soon in Logos 4 (suspect adding to vocabulary and word lists to mobile devices would be quite useful).

Frank Sauer:
okay rant of frustration for answering to students for logos' failures over, back to hiding

Forwarded "rant" to Logos.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 9:48 AM

This demonstrates that the Kindle Fire has driven Android app development and sales:

http://gigaom.com/mobile/kindle-fire-helps-amazon-appstore-hits-31000-apps-in-first-year/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=jkontherun

There is money in them thar hills.  Listening, Logos?

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 12
David De Haan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 11:02 AM

Since there are many customers using Android (and potentially many more to come) it would be encouraging to hear from Logos from time to time regarding  the status of current project(s) development.    Knowing that there is something happening would be positive.  Communication diminishes a lot of negativity.  Now asking the design team for release dates is also unfair as unforseen problems take time to resolve.  Missing release dates may frustrate customers but not knowing anything at all is more disconcerting.

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 12:12 PM

The only part of Logos I use these days is the Morning and Evening Devotional each morning.  I have it on my Kindle Fire.  I can use the Easton Bible Dictionary from Logos at home where I have WiFi.  Many times the Morning and Evening Devotional comes up with the prior day's passage.  I then have to turn pages to get to the proper day.  Placing the number for that day in the window at top of the screen does not even work correctly.

At Church WiFi is not accessible for non-staff members.  I tried to use the Logos EBD there and it could not even search for a word.  I rarely use the Logos on my PC anymore.

Luckily, at Church I use the Tecarta NIV and Notes which do not require WiFi to search.  I get my verses there in 3 taps and the screen autoscrolls when someone is reading scripture to match the reader's speed.  Thus, I don't have to even turn pages there.  With their History button I can go back to any verses which were discussed in the past.  Logos keeps a record of the past 5 verses in the NIV while Tecarta keep a record of the past 50.  A search for any word is complete in under 3 seconds.

I can only hope that Logos gets at least as good as the Tecarta in time.  Logos has infinitely more resources available than Tecarta but they really cannot be used in a non-WiFi envirnment which happens to be my Church situation.

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 1:11 PM

The Android app has the potential to attract more users (and buyers) to the Logos/Vyrso platform.  It would benefit Logos to provide the most powerful and versatile app possible compared to the competition (Tecarta, Olive Tree, etc.)

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Page 1 of 3 (60 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS