Recommendation please: Microsoft Word VS Apple IWork Pages

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 29
Bishop Jim Lowe | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 14 2012 3:26 PM

I have had very little experience with Microsoft Word and IWork Pages by Apple. I was wondering if someone could give me some guidance as to which works best with Logos4 for the Mac? Being a pastor, I do not want to spend a lot of time learning how to work a word processor and would rather spend the time studying the word.

Additionally, I would like also to avoid the tedious process of copy and paste from Logos4 to the word processor. I understand with Microsoft Word there is a process that works with services on the Mac. Does this work the same way with Pages?

Suggestions? I have both products. 

Thanks!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 4:42 PM

Answer depends on what want to do.   PC Mag has a review of Office 2011 => http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369733,00.asp

Logos 4 Mac has right click option to send stuff to Apple's iWorks and Microsoft Office.

Word 2011 and Pages '09 are a bit right to left challenged.  Apple discussion forum about using Hebrew characters and Latin numerals in Pages 4.1 => https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3471532?start=0&tstart=0

Observation: LibreOffice is free, which is similar to Office, but has Complex Text Layout (CTL) option for use with Hebrew right to left.  For Logos 4 personal books, LibreOffice allows hyperlink URL's to keep logosres: format while Word 2011 and Pages require use of alternate syntax: [[text >> logosres:#####]]

For Logos 4 Personal Books, Microsoft Office and LibreOffice can save as docx.  Pages can save as doc, which can be opened in Word or LibreOffice Writer, then save as docx.

Jim Lowe:
Additionally, I would like also to avoid the tedious process of copy and paste from Logos4 to the word processor. I understand with Microsoft Word there is a process that works with services on the Mac. Does this work the same way with Pages?

Forum thread => Mac help for Logos has screen capture showing verse replacement in word processor (TextEdit) using keyboard shortcut command + shift + E

Wiki Logos 4 Keyboard Shortcuts For Mac  includes link to thread => Great new Mac Feature - Get bible verses directly in Pages!

One more thread => pages and logos shows keyboard shortcut use in Pages.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 30661
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 6:14 PM

Jim - Personally, I like pages much better than Word… However, your question is which works better with Logos. Since the new Microsoft Word file format (.docx) is required to compile personal books in Logos, I would lean towards telling you to go that route. You said that you already own both… the more important question is which version of Word do you own? Does it create .docx files?

As for copy & paste… I am playing with that right now and will get back to you. Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 30661
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 6:37 PM

The links that KS4J suggested are very good. One tip is about using “command-shift-e”. This uses  a system service, and must be turned on. The link tells you how to do this. When you highlight a reference and press the keyboard combo, it will replace the reference with the actual passage. This worked better for me in Pages than in Word. 

Another service is “copy bible verses” (command-shift-j). This works equally well in Pages & Word.

Thanks KS4J for the links! I never knew the first one! Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 6:54 PM

I've been a longtime Pages user (iWork as a whole, actually) and I wholeheartedly recommend it. The layout tools, typographical tools, and OS integration are unmatched by Word, and while in school I emailed documents back and forth with professors who used Word with no issues, even when using advanced tools like Track Changes. 

The only important feature that Word has and Pages doesn't is built-in bibliography/works cited support. Pages integrates with EndNote for this purpose, but Word has a basic version built in.

Slightly off topic, but if you're looking for presentation software, Keynote will make you curse every minute you ever spent with Powerpoint. Pages is marginally better than Word, but Keynote completely blows PP out of the water.

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 9:13 PM

I think Pages is superior to MS Word. However, Pages is missing one feature I absolutely love. This feature (right clicking on a word goes to a menu where I can view it's synonyms) is not available in Pages. You have to open up OSX's Thesaurus to search for synonyms - and then I am not able to simply click to replace my chosen word with a new one. I have to manually erase and type in the new word. While this may not take an incredible amount of time, it is very annoying when you are a word freak like myself.

For this one reason...I use MS Word for Mac.

Posts 29
Bishop Jim Lowe | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2012 9:20 PM

Thanks for the information. I plan to use the word processor for sermon development. I want to be able to record my thoughts as quickly as possible. In the past, I have used WordPerfect with macros that allow me to enter a scripture on a blank line and the macro captures the scripture into the document.

I think, knowing the ease of Apple products and the great recommendations of it I will try Pages and follow up with one of the scripture capture methods outlined by KS4J.

Thanks also mitchellisdumb for the high five for Keynote. I have it too. Will do. PP has been giving me fits.

Blessings to each of you!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 12:09 AM

alabama24:
Thanks KS4J for the links! I never knew the first one! Smile

Thankful for God given talent to search less frequently occurring words to find relevant information, which can be copied and pasted.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5978
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 2:39 AM

Quick recommendations.

1 Pages is the way to go.

2 When you first get a Word/Excel/Powerpoint File - do not open it. Right click and select get info and choose open with Pages/Numbers/Keynote as appropriate and make sure you tick the box for all instances. This is a one time operation. It is much quicker to have these files open in iWorks. You can always right click a file and choose 'Open with' on the rare occasions that you might want to open the files in another application.

3. Install Libre Office for those rare occasions.

4. Sell your copy of Word and give the money to TEAR fund.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 2:41 AM

Jim Lowe:

I have had very little experience with Microsoft Word and IWork Pages by Apple. I was wondering if someone could give me some guidance as to which works best with Logos4 for the Mac? Being a pastor, I do not want to spend a lot of time learning how to work a word processor and would rather spend the time studying the word.

Suggestions? I have both products. 

Thanks!

There was an article on National Review Online which was expressing frustration with the political correctness of Pages when it can to gender matters.  As surprising as it might seem, the one objecting to the political correctness and finding it intrusive was female.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5978
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 3:19 AM

George Somsel:
There was an article on National Review Online which was expressing frustration with the political correctness of Pages when it can to gender matters.  As surprising as it might seem, the one objecting to the political correctness and finding it intrusive was female.

This is intriguing. Care to point us to a link or outline the concerns. I fail to see how iWorks' Pages can be anything but gender neutral.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 3:55 PM

Mike Binks:

George Somsel:

This is intriguing. Care to point us to a link or outline the concerns. I fail to see how iWorks' Pages can be anything but gender neutral.

Found the link:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/293004/gender-specific-writer-mona-charen

Looks like linkbait to me. The auto-proofreader function includes a flag for gender-specific language, and sometimes suggests things that wouldn't work in context. Apparently when an automated system doesn't properly recognize context, it's a raging feminazi. This reminds me ridiculous hoopla when Siri couldn't find directions to an abortion clinic, and suggested a crisis pregnancy center instead. 

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 4:13 PM

mitchellisdumb:

Found the link:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/293004/gender-specific-writer-mona-charen

Looks like linkbait to me. The auto-proofreader function includes a flag for gender-specific language, and sometimes suggests things that wouldn't work in context. Apparently when an automated system doesn't properly recognize context, it's a raging feminazi. This reminds me ridiculous hoopla when Siri couldn't find directions to an abortion clinic, and suggested a crisis pregnancy center instead. 

Eh, I kind of like the idea.  I haven't really come across that in my documents (but I generally use Word more than Pages when doing any significant amount of writing, due to habit primarily).  However, I think we use way too much gender-exclusive language in our society anyway so I appreciate Apple's attempt to bring light to this.  Sure, you're going to find some cases where the suggestion doesn't make sense (such as calling a President's wife the 'first lady').  But I'm not someone who would be offended by a software program simply calling attention to the matter.

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 8:27 PM

Joshua G:

I think Pages is superior to MS Word. However, Pages is missing one feature I absolutely love. This feature (right clicking on a word goes to a menu where I can view it's synonyms) is not available in Pages. You have to open up OSX's Thesaurus to search for synonyms - and then I am not able to simply click to replace my chosen word with a new one. I have to manually erase and type in the new word. While this may not take an incredible amount of time, it is very annoying when you are a word freak like myself.

For this one reason...I use MS Word for Mac.

No Clue but maybe iWork '12 will correct this… Should be out later this year i hear.

-Dan

Posts 5978
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2012 2:30 AM

mitchellisdumb:

Found the link:

Thanks for the link Mitchell - I have never explored the proof reader before. I won't be using it much - it wants to replace 'Service' with serve or repair - I use 'Service' quite a lot.

And I like dashes in my sentences :-)

tootle pip

Mike

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS