Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2012 1:39 PM

Paul Spicer:

Hi

What resources in Logos are helpful on the subject "What is revival ?"

Thanks

Paul

From a church history perspective, the Great Awakening and Second Great Awakening should be studied along with the series of revivals that followed (the Cane Ridge Revival comes to mind). Edwards "Distinguishing Marks of a Work of God" is his response to criticism of the Great Awakening, and is a masterpiece (IMHO) of identifying genuine factors that are evidence of a move of God. The works of Jonathan Edwards is available in Logos, as are several church histories. I don't have any church histories in Logos (I have 3 of them on my bookshelf though), so I don't have a specific church history to recommend.

As to definitions of revival: they are as many of those as there are denominations (at least!). Typically revivals are defined in terms of what is important to the 'culture' of the various theological streams, and are written in such a way so as to dismiss or 'domesticate' apparent claims to a revival that challenge the theology of that stream. For example if the Asuza Street Revival (often seen as the beginning of the Pentecostal movement) was a real revival, it challenges the socks off the cessationists!.

Then there is the matter of personal (individual) revival. Is it revival or renewal, and does it make any difference which word you use?

Your question is pretty vague, and no matter the angle, somewhat loaded. Maybe a bit more context would be helpful.

If I type the word "revival" in my library I see 14 resources that include R.A. Torrey, A.W. Tozer, Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Jonathan Edwards, and an interesting piece by William W. Bennet recounting a revival among the southern troups during the civil war.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 74
David Betts | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2012 5:38 PM

Please allow me to offer my view as one who has studied this subject diligently for 40+ years. On the Logos home page, in the search box type the word Yeshua, which means salvation. The resulting resources of this search will give the disciple a way to study this subject from more of a Hebrew perspective. This Foundation of our Faith is what is lacking in so much of the Greek/Roman viewpoint, and popular cultural christianity. You could do other similar searches.

Ps 23:3 "He restores my soul" and Ac 3:21 "..restoration of all things" leads me to believe for restoration rather than revival, renewal, recovery [i.e. 12 step], and so on.

[Please be aware that there are "Messianic Jews" and "Messianic Israel" (all 12 Tribes), but that is beyond the scope of the question.]

As always, be sure to compare Scripture with Scripture, be a Berean, and be a doer of the Word, not just a hearer - obedience not legalism.

Please see also Ep 2:12; Ga 3:29 If you are in Messiah, then you are Abraham's seed and heirs according to the promise

Blessings, and Shalom in Messiah Yahshua

Dav!d

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS