Instead of Sermon File Add-in, can we please ...

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 19 2012 3:11 PM

Because of the number of posts concerning "Sermon File add-in" for L4, I have been thinking about this topic.  I do believe that if we could tag our notes, this would be a great place to add our notes. 

Instead of building yet another subsystem for L4, I believe just modify our note system will accomplish this task. 

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 3:51 PM

tom collinge:

Because of the number of posts concerning "Sermon File add-in" for L4, I have been thinking about this topic.  I do believe that if we could tag our notes, this would be a great place to add our notes. 

Instead of building yet another subsystem for L4, I believe just modify our note system will accomplish this task. 

This won't do it for me.Notes have never been very good as document holders. In L4 they're even less so, since the indexing panel in the note files from L3, no longer exists. In other words, the note tool in L4 is much more like a annotation tool, than a document tool.

What I need is a central repository with indices for date, passage, topics and tags (misc. index markers for such things as seasons of the church year, special occasions, etc.) I want to be able to open the resource to my index and look for when I've preached on the passage, topic, or season before and quickly jump to review what I did.

What it would be for me is a PBB-type document with indexing built in.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 6:04 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

This won't do it for me.Notes have never been very good as document holders. In L4 they're even less so, since the indexing panel in the note files from L3, no longer exists. In other words, the note tool in L4 is much more like a annotation tool, than a document tool.

What I need is a central repository with indices for date, passage, topics and tags (misc. index markers for such things as seasons of the church year, special occasions, etc.) I want to be able to open the resource to my index and look for when I've preached on the passage, topic, or season before and quickly jump to review what I did.

Richard, these are all very good points.  I too miss the index panel in L3.  This made is soooooooooooooo much easier to find our notes.  Everything else you stated can be accomplished with a good tagging system (not the type of tagging that we have for clippings, books, or the rest of L4).

Posts 738
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 6:41 PM

I've actually used PBB a few times with Sermons and the only thing missing was the additional fields as Richard mentioned. Add the fields and a "sermon" file type to PBB and it may meet a lot of what is desired for accomplishing what Sermon file used to do.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 7:16 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

This won't do it for me.Notes have never been very good as document holders. {.....}

YesYesYesBig Smile     [me thinks we may becoming the din0saurs of PBB usage]

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 7:00 AM

"Instead of Sermon File Add-in..." Super Angry

No. Give me Sermon File Addin. I paid for it. I was told it would be in L4. I was told it would be new and improved, not less and inferior. Recent post by Bob at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/46104/346381.aspx#346381 leads me to believe that's what's coming down the pike.

Rosie Perera:

• Sermon File (this was on the "missing features" list)

Bob: We were planning on replacing this with something different, but have been convinced otherwise. We are presently re-specifying the feature for inclusion in the 4.x time frame.

I' m glad they've listened to their custormers. Looking forward to it.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 22 2012 2:49 PM

Brad Fry:

"Instead of Sermon File Add-in..." Super Angry

No. Give me Sermon File Addin. I paid for it. I was told it would be in L4. I was told it would be new and improved, not less and inferior. Recent post by Bob at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/46104/346381.aspx#346381 leads me to believe that's what's coming down the pike.

Rosie Perera:

• Sermon File (this was on the "missing features" list)

Bob: We were planning on replacing this with something different, but have been convinced otherwise. We are presently re-specifying the feature for inclusion in the 4.x time frame.

I' m glad they've listened to their custormers. Looking forward to it.

Hi Brad, I too paid for the sermon file add-in for L3, and it was horrible.  If I knew back then what I know now, I would have returned it so that I could get my money back.  I agree with you that we need something better, not worse.  It could be that I see some of the same mistakes with L4 that was made with L3's sermon fill add-in - not enough planning went into L4 (IMHO).  This comes from the fact that there are sooooooo many subsystems that are not needed.  Just look at the notes.  Logos just merged highlights and notes (for the most part - a good thing - some improvements are still needed).  The notes we add to books is a different subsystem than the notes that we add to a PG, and clippings is yet another (note) subsystem.  All of these items are good, but it would have been faster, cheaper, and produced a better product if they were all merged into one subsystem.  We have too many ways of entering in data into L4.

I believe changing the notes around would so allow us to store our sermons, and it is the best opt.  What you and Richard have said is very true, and those items need to be addressed.

A good tagging system allows us to create tags, and their values.  For those of us who use the RCL, we could create a tag that is titled "Lectionary," and then we could apply "Year A", "Year B", and "Year C" to that tag.  For our sermons that are stored in our note files,  we could create a tag called "date," and then apply the dates that we give the sermon to the actual note.  Right now (if I remember correctly), we have to recompile all of our sermons if we just a date to a sermon.

To do this, all Logos would need to do is to a three very simple tables for tagging in a db file.  A way to edit the tags, and a way to run (and save) reports on our tags (what sermons were given on Gen 1:1 - Gen 2:4a for an example).

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 22 2012 7:45 PM

Hey Tom,

Thanks for expounding. Looking forward to seeing Logos' resolution.

Brad

Posts 9
Mark Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 11:56 AM

Agreed, I've been absolutely overwhelmed by the integration between the desktop and my iPhone. The annotations in bible and books is amazing! I literally jumped up and down when the upgrade finally released. It's absolutely AWESOME!

But I paid $69.95 for the SERMON FILE ADDIN in 2007 and I have NEVER been able to use it.

I'm hoping this is the only instance that Logos has dropped the ball on. Some official explanation, apology, and compensation should have been already posted, but in 5 years I haven't read or been offered anything.

Logos, your kind attention in this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 12:39 PM

Mark T. Lewis:

But I paid $69.95 for the SERMON FILE ADDIN in 2007 and I have NEVER been able to use it.

Why weren't you able to use it in 2007? L4 didn't come out until 2009.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 1:56 PM

Chris Roberts:

Mark T. Lewis:

Why weren't you able to use it in 2007? L4 didn't come out until 2009.

I "couldn't use it" because of the poor design.

Posts 36
Darren Middleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 3 2012 8:50 PM

My experience also, bought in 2009 - then L4 came. Been patiently (more or less) waiting ever since with very little satisfaction. It is poor customer service. But I still wait in hope.

Posts 9
Mark Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 7:29 AM

See previous comments by Brad Fry and others...

Now we have Logos5 with an all new interface, many new features, and different package details. Guess what? I'm still not able to use the SERMON FILE ADD-IN because it was never implemented into Logos4. We were told it would be and it hasn't.

Now with Logos5 I can't simply upgrade because all of the packages don't correspond with previous packages. So, what am I supposed to do? Say thank you for the opportunity to pay for something I can't use and still pay again for an upgrade that the SERMON FILE ADD-IN might be in.

Just a little frustrated with this $69.95 customer service fiasco.

Beyond this, I AM DELIGHTED WITH LOGOS ACROSS THE BOARD!!

Patiently, still waiting, for a helpful response.

Posts 12514
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 7:35 AM

Mark Lewis:
Now we have Logos5 with an all new interface, many new features, and different package details. Guess what? I'm still not able to use the SERMON FILE ADD-IN because it was never implemented into Logos4. We were told it would be and it hasn't.

Did you miss 4.6a? See e.g. this ReleaseNote: http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4.6a 

The one thing not yet fully implemented is the "sharing" feature - I read that SFA in Libronix uploaded per default to a server for everyone to see (most users seem to have complained over this).  

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 30531
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 7:49 AM

Mark Lewis:
Patiently, still waiting, for a helpful response.

To flesh out Mick's post slightly… the sermon file add in has been replaced with a update to the personal book builder. You use .docx files, with a special template, to add in your sermons and have them indexed. See the link Mick provided for more info. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9
Mark Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 7:58 AM

No, I did not get this memo because it wasn't notified as a purchaser of the Sermon File Add-In this was a possible 'fix' to this problem. I  don't visit the message boards everyday because the other 99.5% of Logos works.

But after reviewing this possibility the Personal Books doesn't work for me. I don't own the compatible .docx format software and the past five years of my sermon files are in pdf because I don't have a Sermon File Add-In that works.

I don't want to share. I want to store. I want to research. I want to keep track. I don't want to repeat myself. I would like what the $69.95 was supposed to buy. I believe so do a lot of other people.

I DO appreciate the very timely help and suggestions. But I seek another/better solution.

Posts 1883
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 8:11 AM

Mark Lewis:

No, I did not get this memo because it wasn't notified as a purchaser of the Sermon File Add-In this was a possible 'fix' to this problem. I  don't visit the message boards everyday because the other 99.5% of Logos works.

But after reviewing this possibility the Personal Books doesn't work for me. I don't own the compatible .docx format software and the past five years of my sermon files are in pdf because I don't have a Sermon File Add-In that works.

I don't want to share. I want to store. I want to research. I want to keep track. I don't want to repeat myself. I would like what the $69.95 was supposed to buy. I believe so do a lot of other people.

You can download OpenOffice or LibreOffice for free and they can save in .docx you could copy and paste into a document save as a .docx in one of those free programs and compile them from your PDF's

You don't have to share. Currently that's not an option, but with the new feature you choose what to share and what not to.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS