New Versions of Books

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 82
Joe | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 20 2012 2:43 PM

Does anyone know what happens when a newer edition of a book comes out?  Do they give you the new version if they have it?  Or do you have to purchase the old and the new versions?

For example, Ethics for a Brave New World by John Feinberg orginally published in 1993 and I have that version in Logos.  However, they have a 2010 version which I'd like.  Will they come out with that eventually?  When they do, do you typically have to buy that, or will you simply receive the free upgrade?

Thanks!

Joe

Posts 1844
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 2:46 PM

Normally you have to buy the new version just like you would a print version.

Posts 3667
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 3:05 PM

Joe:
what happens when a newer edition of a book comes out?

Depends... typo corrections to the same edition? you get it automatically

New edition (new copyright date)? Purchase new.

For example, there are 2 versions of the ISBE available in Logos. You can purchase either one (I think), but if you purchased the 1st one (100 years older), you wouldn't get the 2nd unless you bought it.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 10102
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 3:11 PM

Joe:

Does anyone know what happens when a newer edition of a book comes out?  Do they give you the new version if they have it?  Or do you have to purchase the old and the new versions?

For example, Ethics for a Brave New World by John Feinberg orginally published in 1993 and I have that version in Logos.  However, they have a 2010 version which I'd like.  Will they come out with that eventually?  When they do, do you typically have to buy that, or will you simply receive the free upgrade?

Thanks!

Joe

It's worse than the previous answers describe. Usually, Logos won't produce a new version if the publisher makes a new edition. This may change someday, but so far it seems the normal case, there are only rare exceptions (like NIV 2011).

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 27770
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 3:29 PM

Joe:

In most cases a new edition of a book is a new book, so yes, you would purchase it again. If Logos decided to release the new version, the old one would likely be taken out of the store (but would be kept on the servers for those who own it). 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 7:13 PM

One fairly recent exception was when the NICNT was first offered by Logos, they also offered some of the older editions (totally different books) as a separate purchase, even though new volumes had replaced them in the set

alabama24:

In most cases a new edition of a book is a new book, so yes, you would purchase it again. If Logos decided to release the new version, the old one would likely be taken out of the store (but would be kept on the servers for those who own it). 

Posts 82
Joe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 8:09 PM

Thanks.  I tried looking on Vyrso too.  I guess I just have to determine how much difference there is and whether it's worth my $$ or not.  Big Smile

Posts 27770
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 8:39 PM

Joe:

Thanks.  I tried looking on Vyrso too.  I guess I just have to determine how much difference there is and whether it's worth my $ or not.  Big Smile

Joe - I am unsure what you mean that you "looked on Vyrso." The book you mentioned doesn't appear to be in Vyrso. Is your question hypothetical?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 82
Joe | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 21 2012 8:48 AM

alabama24:

Joe:

Thanks.  I tried looking on Vyrso too.  I guess I just have to determine how much difference there is and whether it's worth my $ or not.  Big Smile

Joe - I am unsure what you mean that you "looked on Vyrso." The book you mentioned doesn't appear to be in Vyrso. Is your question hypothetical?

I tried to find newer version of Ethics for a Brave New World by John Feinberg the 2010 version on Vyrso thinking that maybe they might release it there...but alas, no pie for me....Sad

Oh well....!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS