March Madness: What are you getting?

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 27 2012 5:11 PM

Just out of curiosity, what resources have you picked up so far during this years March Madness sale? 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 681
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 5:37 PM

Only one book so far, "How to Read the Bible for all its worth"

http://www.logos.com/product/5421/how-to-read-the-bible-for-all-its-worth

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 6:53 PM

i bought 60% of a new fence this March.  Next month I buy the remaining 40%.  The following month I get to eat again.  Wink  Then books.

Posts 24
Karl Hanschen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 7:27 PM

Well, I haven't bought yet, but I've got my eyes particularly on the Zondervan materials. I don't see them getting much in the way of discounts very often. So my shopping cart has:

Introduction to the New Testament, by Moo

Introduction to the Old Testament, by Longman

Genesis: A Commentary, by Waltke

An Old Testament Theology, by Waltke

Theology  of the New Testament, by Thielman

How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth, by Fee

How to Read the Bible Book by Book, by Fee

To What End Exegesis, by Fee

I haven't pulled the trigger yet because of limited funds and desiring to see what else may get discounted that I need for an upcoming class.

Karl Hanschen

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 7:27 PM

"When I get a little money, I buy books. If there's anything left I buy food and clothes." --  Erasmus

I bought some Vyrso books this month that I'd overlooked on my first scan through the catalog.

Posts 157
Sam Henderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 7:40 PM

I picked up the Cranfield ICC commentaries on Romans. Classic commentary - good price!

Posts 2372
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 7:59 PM

I got John Walton's OT Survey.  He has a great grasp on Ancient Near Eastern thought.  I am looking forward to Don Carson and NT Wright being on sale.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 406
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 9:16 PM

And most of them were free (Christmas Refund)

Introduction to the New Testament, by Moo

Introduction to the Old Testament, by Longman

Genesis: A Commentary, by Waltke

Theology of the New Testament, by Thielman

How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth, by Fee

How to Read the Bible Book by Book, by Fee

To What End Exegesis, by Fee

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 9:55 PM

John Kight:

Just out of curiosity, what resources have you picked up so far during this years March Madness sale? 

Expositions of Bible Doctrines Taking the Epistle to the Romans As a Point of Departure (4 vols.) (Barnhouse)

Walk With God: An Exposition of Luke's Gospel (Sproul)

The Purpose of God: An Exposition of Ephesians (Sproul)

How to Read the Bible Book by Book (Fee/Stuart)

The Believer's Armor: Ephesians 6:10–24 (MacArthur)

I've been pleasantly surprised at the offerings as my library grows and so does the pickiness by which I add to it. 

Posts 88
Johann | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 10:31 PM

Just a thought but, Introduction to the New Testament by Moo is also by Carson. I would wait until the end of the sale to see if it gets the Carson discount, whatever that may be. I already have it, or it would be on my list. 

On my maybe list:

On the top of the list are the Acts and Mark Witherington commentaries

Fee's How to Read the Bible Book by Book (have "... For All it's Worth")

Fee's To What End Exegesis?

Bloomberg's NAC Matthew commentary

Sproul's Walk With God: An Exposition of Luke's Gospel. 

Posts 406
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 10:48 PM

I have and have extensively used the Witherington Acts volume. Really like it. Very readable and very good both. Caused me to already get the rest of his set last year.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 4:35 AM

Karl Hanschen:

Just bought this resource.  Thank you Logos Christmas Credit!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 5:00 AM

Purchasers of Master Library Builder may want to consider many John Owen volumes in March Madness sale with 40 % discount.

Noticeably missing is volume 15: Church Purity and Unity.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 1:17 PM

Paul Clarke:

Karl Hanschen:

Just bought this resource.  Thank you Logos Christmas Credit!

Just also added "Theology of the New Testament" by Thielman.

Posts 12492
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 2 2012 8:16 AM

John Kight:

Apart from Lloyd-Jones and Packer (see Alabama's "Must have" thread), I picked up:

• Swinsoll's "Insights on..." - very good stuff! And on three of my fav books as well!
  • Fee's two "How to read the bible" books. Everybody cites them. I like Fee anyway (have "To what end exegesis" and the IVPNTC already). 
  • Kaiser/Silva's Intro to Hermeneutics (The two authors put forward very different ideas about their subject, Silva arguing for a calvinistic approach to exegesis... ) plus "Recovering" and "Grief" from Kaiser
  • Ladd's "A theology of the NT" - this is a classic, and it complements the bunch of NT Theologies I have (somehow all are different - still, I could've done without, but then it's a sale and I regret having Marshall and Guthrie only in paper...)  
  • Blomberg ZEC on James. Wow, ZEC is the commentary format! Greek explained, structure analyzed in sentence diagrams (even more helpful than the Discourse NT), even an application section! I put the ZEC Matthew version on my wishlist and ordered two other ZEC volumes that are in Pre-Pub. 

Adds up quite a bit, with the last shootout still running... I found I couldn't spend anything on Ben Witherington: owned all of it!

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1593
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 2 2012 8:28 AM

Nothing, so far. Waiting to see on N.T. Wright. Most of the rest has not appealed.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 693
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 2 2012 8:38 AM

Me too, plus, ""How to read the Bible Book by Book." That's an outstanding resource.

Posts 2232
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 2 2012 8:57 AM

Picked up the final two books in the Acts Series by Lloyd-Jones.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS