NICNT/OT

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 135
Gene Britton | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 28 2012 5:15 AM

I am at a point where I have stopped purchases from Logos unless it is a true deal on a product I want, and I have not seen one of those yet that I could not pass on.  I do want Nicnt & OT but am not going to pay the price Logos wants.  I am considering buying Kindle volumes individually as I need them.  I have nt in hard copy and I agree it is top set to have and use.  Is this a strategy or should I wait for Logos sale or a break up of sets through Logos.  

Posts 2481
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 5:22 AM

Sometimes Logos will offer their collections at a sale price.  If I remember correctly the prepub price for the NICNT/OT was just under $1000 so I doubt that you will see the collection offered for less - although it is possible. 

Whether they break the set up and sell the individual volumes depends on the if the publisher allows them to or not.

Posts 135
Gene Britton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 5:27 AM

If they allow Amazon to sell individually does that mean at some point they will allow Logos?

Posts 2481
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 5:32 AM

I don't have any "inside information" but since Amazon has permission to sell the NICNT/OT for the Kindle I would think that Logos will be able to sell them individually too.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 5:53 AM

Gene, I paid $1189 for the set on sale, which at the time seemed the best price I had seen.  If you get a chance to get it for $999 I would jump on it, put it on monthly payments and sell your hard copies.  $999 is close to what it was on prepub and you are probably not going to beat that price with Logos.  Even if they break the set up you will pay more for it in the long run.  On the other hand even on a monthly payment that is a big expenditure each month.  Break out the preacher's steak. (bologna)

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 6:23 AM

Gene, if you want to get your hands on any particular volumes in the foreseeable future, I suggest you buy them from the Kindle Store.  I haven't checked the prices of the individual volumes on Amazon, but I suspect that they will be cheaper than Logos is able to sell them for if and when they do release individual volumes. 

Given the high overall cost of this commentary set, I would expect the individual volume prices (when aggregated) to represent a significant uplift over the cost of the entire collection so that people will still be incentivised to buy the set.

Posts 135
Gene Britton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 6:52 AM

As I go further I find Kindle only has Matthew a nd James currently available.  Do you have something different?

Posts 29352
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 7:05 AM

Gene Britton:
I have nt in hard copy

My question to you would be, if you have the set in hard back, why would you want the kindle version? To me, the greatest advantage of the Logos editions, is that they interact with my Logos library and are tagged. If I had a choice ONLY between Kindle & Dead Tree, I would take Kindle… unless I already owned the dead tree set. In which case I would wait until I saw a sale I could afford. Then I would sell or donate the Dead Trees.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2878
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 7:05 AM

Gene Britton:
I am at a point where I have stopped purchases from Logos unless it is a true deal on a product I want,

I am close to that myself. You raise a good point.  What should be our Logos buying strategy?   

I now have in Logos a pretty good collection of Commentary sets, along with the other basic language and study tools.  I would mostly like to keep up with additions to the commentary sets that I already have - especially, the NIVOT/NT, Word, NIVAC, Pillar, and Baker exegetical. 

Beyond that, I am interested in getting anyting I don't have relatied to Wesley studies, church fathers, and certain scholars and preachers who interest me - (Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Ben Witherington, etc.)

The one additional commentary set that I would really want to buy is the New Cambridge Bible Commentary, which is not available in Logos.

Most of the resources that I now want are not available in Logos.  So I am beginning to lean toward purchasing them in whatever form they are available - book, other ebook, whatever. 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2878
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 7:09 AM

alabama24:
My question to you would be, if you have the set in hard back, why would you want the kindle version?

I can understand that because I have bought the Kindle version of books on my shelf.  They may not be as useful as Logos versions, but it is useful to have them on the computer and searchable.  Just alt tab and you can go from Logos to kindle.  You can copy and paste.

You could even convert it to a Logos PBB if you feel that copyright law allows an individual to change the format of a book for one's own personal use.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 135
Gene Britton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 7:11 AM

If the Lord would bless me with the electronic edition, I am not ready to give up my books, in particular this set. Maybe that comes later.

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 7:11 AM

Michael Childs:

alabama24:
My question to you would be, if you have the set in hard back, why would you want the kindle version?

I can understand that because I have bought the Kindle version of books on my shelf.  They may not be as useful as Logos versions, but it is useful to have them on the computer and searchable.  Just alt tab and you can go from Logos to kindle.  You can copy and paste.

You could even convert it to a Logos PBB if you feel that copyright law allows an individual to change the format of a book for one's own personal use.

I made substantial notes on a Kindle book and found that there is a limit to how much you can copy and paste from that format. Making a PBB wouldn't be an option. 

Posts 2711
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 9:22 AM

Although I love my print books, I would in a heartbeat, rather have them in Logos. I realize completing this process would be hard to do, but with commentaries, it's very wise. NICNT/OT is one thing I don't yet have in Logos that I would consider a high priority purchase as I use my print volumes a lot. There really isn't a good alternative substitute for Bible study where you want the full integration of  your resources.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 11:57 AM

Gene, you may want to talk to a Logos representative and see what's the best they can do on the price. I've been pleasantly surprised at times when making that query. Then again, the price online may be the best they can offer.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 88
Johann | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 12:20 AM

Gene Britton:

If they allow Amazon to sell individually does that mean at some point they will allow Logos?

The publisher also allows them to be sold on OliveTree individually. If you don't want the whole set here is a software option, even though it's not Logos. Hopefully they will let Logos sell separately as well soon. 

Posts 11710
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 2:05 AM

Johann Dyck:

Gene Britton:

The publisher also allows them to be sold on OliveTree individually. If you don't want the whole set here is a software option, even though it's not Logos. Hopefully they will let Logos sell separately as well soon. 

Johann, 

maybe you were not aware, but while Logos does tolerate mentioning competitor's names in the forum, they don't like links to competitors' sites (as this actively increases their search-rank and directly advertises competitors' offers). You may want to edit your post accordingly. EDIT: *** Thanks! ***

That said, the publisher allows other competitors as well to sell NICOT/NT individually. It seems just Logos does only the set, which gives hope that they break it up someday.

Mick

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 88
Johann | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 2:32 AM

NB.Mick:
maybe you were not aware

I was not. I unlinked it, but ... 

1.) The "competition" offers something which you cannot get here- namely individual commentaries or just OT/NT. So is it competition or is it other available resources? :) Is the idea not to link to any other commercial site?

2.) I could see abuse by other companies trying to bring in customers by saying that their product is better and their prices cheaper in the forums, but I think someone who doesn't work for or receive benefits form the company is just promoting knowledge of all options. I am new to Logos forums, so I'll unlink here on your advice. 

Posts 24631
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 3:13 AM

Hi Johann

The forum guidelines - http://community.logos.com/forums/t/10072.aspx - state:

"Please abide by the following guidelines as you interact on our forums.

1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.
  2. Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics. Use one of the many web forums intended for these kinds of discussions.
  3. Please treat each other with the love, courtesy, respect, and kindness that you would if you were sitting in your living room together.
  4. Please do not use our forums to
    • sell or give away anything or link to anything you’re selling or giving away—including Logos products
    • promote or link to competitors
    • point people to other places that sell Logos-compatible products
    • advertise yourself, your business, your ministry, your website, etc. (a tasteful link in your forum signature is acceptable)
    • post Logos Coupon Codes. If you are aware of a special promotion Logos is running online, you are welcome to link directly to the promotion.
  5. Please search before posting. It’s likely that someone has already asked your question.
  6. Please help others follow these guidelines. If the problems continue after you’ve given a gentle reminder of these expectations, please click “Report Abuse” under “More” or send an email to forums@logos.com.

Thank you for your cooperation. Enjoy discussing and learning about Logos Bible Software."

Bob Pritchett, Logos CEO and Chairman, commented on this in a thread discussing their Proclaim (presentation) software - http://community.logos.com/forums/p/42165/315660.aspx#315660 - where he says that mentioning competitors is ok but explains why they would prefer no linkages.

Hope this helps provide some context.

Graham

Posts 11710
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 3:41 AM

Johann Dyck:

NB.Mick:
maybe you were not aware

I was not. I unlinked it, but ... 

1.) The "competition" offers something which you cannot get here- namely individual commentaries or just OT/NT. So is it competition or is it other available resources? :) Is the idea not to link to any other commercial site?

2.) I could see abuse by other companies trying to bring in customers by saying that their product is better and their prices cheaper in the forums, but I think someone who doesn't work for or receive benefits form the company is just promoting knowledge of all options. I am new to Logos forums, so I'll unlink here on your advice. 

There is a detailed (long but fun reading) post by Dan Pritchett explaining this in more detail http://community.logos.com/forums/p/136/4581.aspx#4581 - since not everybody crawls the forum back to 2009, such announcements are stored at http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_Speaks . But you got the idea: basically it is okay to mention "other available resources" or features, but not to link or to promote it actively.  

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS