ESV Study Bible

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 29
jmcbade | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 30 2012 6:18 PM

I purchased this one, and I thought I would be able to use it in place of the regular ESV so as to have more of it's features available when doing a study.  I added it in the preferred Bibles in place of the the original ESV, but, it seems the old one is still the one that shows up in my tabs set when I look up a verse.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-John

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 30 2012 7:04 PM

This is a quote from the product page for the ESV Study Bible, does this answer your question?

The ESV Study Bible Notes includes all materials (notes, maps, charts, etc.), but does not include theBible text itself.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 30 2012 7:36 PM

I suggest putting the ESV and ESV Study Notes in parallel windows / Tabs.  Here is what I am doing (pic compressed to meet upload limits):

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 30 2012 7:44 PM

John

Ward's suggestion is the best way to use study bibles in Logos. Also link the panes, so that scrolling one also scrolls the other.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 29
jmcbade | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 30 2012 7:57 PM

Sorry, I guess I'm more new to Logos than others.  I have owned it a long time, but I am sure I WAY under utilize it as I find it not a very "friendly" interface.  I sorta feel like I am always having to stumble my way about in it.  Believe it or not, my background is in software development and I can usually figure out everything in most applications, but this one, it's just not "intuitive" to me.

I would go with something else, but I don't want to have to buy all the resources again.  Too much investment here.

If I could have steps and / or links to how to do this, I would be most grateful.

Thanks!

-John

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 30 2012 8:26 PM

jmcbade:
links to how to do this

Linking Resources

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 30658
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 30 2012 8:40 PM

EDIT: The link Jerry provided takes you to the excellent wiki on the subject. It is worth taking more time to study it. Smile

John - 

In the screen shot below, notice the section I have highlighted. When you click a "Link Set" letter (A-F), it will link that resource to any other resources in the same set. What the other users were recommending is that you have the ESV & the ESV Study Notes in two separate tabs (you can have one hidden behind the other, or place them in two separate windows) and set them to the same Link Set.  In the second screen shot, I have a simple layout with just the ESV & ESV Study Notes open. Notice that they are both set to Link Set "A."

NOTE: To set a resource Link Set, click on the resources book cover, which opens the contextual menu shown in the following screen shot:

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 29
jmcbade | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 31 2012 1:27 AM

Thank you very much.

I'll give it a go.

Blessings,

-John

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 31 2012 1:09 PM

jmcbade:

Sorry, I guess I'm more new to Logos than others.  I have owned it a long time, but I am sure I WAY under utilize it as I find it not a very "friendly" interface.  I sorta feel like I am always having to stumble my way about in it.  Believe it or not, my background is in software development and I can usually figure out everything in most applications, but this one, it's just not "intuitive" to me.

I would go with something else, but I don't want to have to buy all the resources again.  Too much investment here.

If I could have steps and / or links to how to do this, I would be most grateful.

Thanks!

-John

John, If you haven't watched the various "how to" videos--especially those created by Mark Barnes--I highly suggest it.  The look and feel of some will be different because they were made early in Windows development, and the Mac looks a little different.
   However, I was like you after I upgraded to V4--the videos were my epiphany on how to do things and why I might want to.

V4 is far less complex than V3, but it is hard to pick up without being able to "shoulder surf."

Posts 29
jmcbade | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 31 2012 3:24 PM

Ward,

Yes, I have been watching them.  They do help,  and I am glad for them.  I must say though that my opinion of the interface, is it feels more like a ported and convoluted Windows creation, than a MAC interface.  Logos is not following MAC standardized conventions. 

I am NOT trying to start a religious war about operating systems.  I say use what you like and be happy.  Personally, after using Windows since v1.0, and "punching cards" before that, I like the simplicity and intuitiveness of the standardized MAC interface better.  Just my personal opinion.  This product strongly departs from that paradigm.

I DO appreciate everyone's help. 

It's the weekend here in Japan and so I am focused on services and ministry, but I hope to dig in more with the suggestions after the first of the week. I'll keep plugging away at this and see if I can get more effective with the tool.

Meanwhile, blessings,

-John

Posts 1
Austin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:47 PM

I think he's referring to http://www.logos.com/product/5253/esv-study-bible which is the same Bible that I purchased, but mine also is just the notes, not the Biblical text, despite the fact that the description says, "To accomplish this, the ESV Study Bible combines the best and most recent evangelical Christian scholarship with the highly regarded ESV Bible text."

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2012 8:17 PM

John ...you are in Japan!

Do you know if the Libronix Japanese interlinear is pretty much gone?

I think JBS owns it?

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 29
jmcbade | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2012 9:09 PM

I'm sorry, I don't know.  It would be nice to know if anyone has information though.

Thanks!

-John

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2012 9:42 PM

Appreciate the quick answer. There's quite a bit of need for more asian resource support.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2012 3:02 AM

Austin:

I think he's referring to http://www.logos.com/product/5253/esv-study-bible which is the same Bible that I purchased, but mine also is just the notes, not the Biblical text, despite the fact that the description says, "To accomplish this, the ESV Study Bible combines the best and most recent evangelical Christian scholarship with the highly regarded ESV Bible text."

Which version did you purchase?

If you did not get what you expected, call Custom Services and explain. They will straighten it out for you.

Posts 128
Simon Pleasants | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2012 5:24 AM

DMB:

Do you know if the Libronix Japanese interlinear is pretty much gone?

There appears to be a Japanese interlinear Bible for Libronix/Logos for sale here:

http://www.bible.or.jp/purchase/newbible/greece.html

The Japanese Bible is the Shinkoudouyaku. BibleWorks offers the Shinkaiyaku and the Kogoyaku.

"Upon a life I did not live, Upon a death I did not die, Another's life, another's death, I stake my whole eternity"

Horatius Bonar

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS