Which to get???

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Anonymous | | Posted: Fri, Nov 13 2009 6:34 PM

Being very much a traditionalist when it comes to books, I've never had much to do with Bible study software. However, since a couple of books needed for college came with CD's I thought I'd have a look. Now I realise the potential value that the digital route can have for my studies.

Since I've got three years to go before finishing college, I've decided to take the plunge and purchase a base package. My only dilemma is that I'm uncertain as to which one to buy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 6:39 PM

Sandy Turnbull:

Since I've got three years to go before finishing college, I've decided to take the plunge and purchase a base package. My only dilemma is that I'm uncertain as to which one to buy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

A couple of questions...

1. What is your major?

2. What do you want to do with your major once you have it?

3. How much is money a factor?

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 6:45 PM
It depends on your area of study or interests. In general, the largest library you can afford, while expensive, has the lowest cost per resource. Do you need original language resources to do your own in depth study? Do you prefer to work only in English? Are you looking for an academic library? Or a pastor's library? Or a layman's library?
Posts 5637
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 7:18 PM

Sandy Turnbull:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I suggest Platinum.  :-)

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Anonymous | | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 7:41 PM

Thank you Gents.

Currently I'm working toward a B.Theol at the Melbourne College of Divinity (Aus) with a focus toward ordained ministry. If I decide to continue to the M.Theol I'll major in 7/8 C prophets (Amos/Hosea) and Pauline Epistles.

Essentially I'm looking for something that would be useful for both a pastoral environment as well as academics.I'm thinking about Scholars as a possible start but am uncertain whether that is going to be over the top or not enough. My wife has allowed a budget of not more than $1000 so I think that limits me to no more than Silver.

Is there an "average" that students buy?

Posts 1
mcdedoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 8:12 PM

Have you checked out the academic pricing option?  I know Logos used to sell collections through the Bible college where I worked. You can save a lot of money!

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 8:27 PM

Sandy Turnbull:

Thank you Gents.

Currently I'm working toward a B.Theol at the Melbourne College of Divinity (Aus) with a focus toward ordained ministry. If I decide to continue to the M.Theol I'll major in 7/8 C prophets (Amos/Hosea) and Pauline Epistles.

Essentially I'm looking for something that would be useful for both a pastoral environment as well as academics.I'm thinking about Scholars as a possible start but am uncertain whether that is going to be over the top or not enough. My wife has allowed a budget of not more than $1000 so I think that limits me to no more than Silver.

Is there an "average" that students buy?

Don't buy anything without checking into the student discount. I think I would start with considering the Silver if I were you. If you need better help comparing the various packages I've put together an excel sheet that allows you to filter out the columns and get a better view of what each package contains.

Anonymous | | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 8:54 PM

Thank you Mark and Philip.

I was unaware of any such discounts. I've just sent an email to find out how to get my college involved.

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 11:57 AM

I would suggest you leave some room in your budget for stuff that doesn't come in all but the highest level packages. Specifically, you'll want a nice commentary set that covers the vast majority of scripture at the level you're interested in. Check out the guides on commentary sets. If you're going to be taking some greek as a part of your coursework, you'll find BDAG as a likely requirement. Anchor Bible Dictionary is an AMAZING resource you really should have as well. 

So here's what I'd do:

1. BDAG (Included in Platinum base package, buying separately in print form is about the same cost... $150 US)

2. Anchor Bible Dictionary (7 printed volumes of great background info... $250 US)

3. Commentary set (Tyndale in pre-pub is a great deal for the money if you don't need a technical commentary... if you go to a "Gold" or "Platinum" base package, you're covered here for technical and pastoral IMHO) 

Subtract the cost of those from your budget and buy the best you can for the base package. I would suggest you go with the "Scholars" base package if your budget supports it.... you'll need that level to support original language addons. You can string out the costs by going with BDAG when you start with Greek or even after your first Greek class.

If you really can't swing it, you might want to use the IVP CD for #2 and #3 if they work for your school's level of scholarship. Anchor is just so much content, even when you don't agree with the article author's argument, you get a great background and bibliography to work from separately.

p.s. if you're on a mac... I would strongly suggest you check out the Mac forums so you don't get too disappointed out of the gate. Logos shines on the PC today.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS