Add the 1984 NIV

Page 3 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 64 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2012 12:49 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

For product suggestions, Logos has Suggestions forum (user discussion) and email => http://www.logos.com/about/contact 

Email sent to Logos product suggestions with reference to this thread plus suggestion for NIV 1984 New Testament reverse interlinear (bit more expensive).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2335
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 6 2012 5:26 PM

The whole issue pretty much points to a flaw with publishing licensing restriction over medium. Given the explosion of digital media and web content, both music recording and publishing industries have failed to see the handwriting on the wall. If a publisher pushes their choice by outmoded force, people can and will take their business elsewhere.

From my perspective this is a perfect example of why Logos 4 still rocks as the tool of choice for study. We don't have that problem on the desktop at all and Logos is very generous with us overall. Makes my life much easier.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 5262
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 6 2012 5:47 PM

Please forgive me if someone already solved your problem, looking through things i didn't see any clear answer. You can still buy it in a way…. But you will have to buy it on CD and that will give you the volume. http://www.cph.org/p-29-niv-concordia-self-study-cd-rom.aspx this is a very inexpensive way to purchase the NIV  on Disk, This gives you the 1984 NIV and the Lutheran Adaptation of the NIV study Bible, and the Self Study Commentary. 

-Dan

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 8 2012 1:19 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
It's not clear to me that Zondervan corp., is the 'problem child' here. The more I think about this, the more I lean toward the CBT as the culprit

When Accordance pulled the 1984 NIV, they blamed "the publisher of the NIV: Biblica". The relationship between the Committee on Bible Translation [the translators], Biblica [the copyright holders], and Zondervan [the publishers] is explained here: http://www.thenivbible.com/translation/who-controls-niv-text/

Reading that page, it does seem that Zondervan are unlikely to be to blame.

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 9 2012 5:03 AM

mitchellisdumb:
I sincerely hope that whatever decision was made to remove licensing for the NIV1984 is reversed.

I couldn't agree more! Yes 

Most of my churches have the NIV1984 edition, and despite being told that there are many 'better translations' out there - the truth is that firstly, many of us love this edition and have grown up with it and secondly (and the major issue) we can't afford to change as a church even if we wanted to. I know that the ESV is regarded as a more accurate and better translation but for many of us it just doesn't read as well for public worship. The NIV2011 is not a bad edition, but the original poster's comments about gender issues and political correctness are perfectly true making it less than ideal.  As I said before we couldn't afford to change anyway, so someone please reverse this decision!   

Posts 1
William J Eberle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 13 2012 5:23 AM

My Christian vocabulary does not allow me to properly express my opinion of the neutered NIV 2011.

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 13 2012 7:04 AM

William J Eberle:

My Christian vocabulary does not allow me to properly express my opinion of the neutered NIV 2011.

YesYesYes

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 13 2012 6:45 PM

I used the link Mark posted above. I used the "Contact Us" page to email them my request to permit the likes of Olive Tree, Logos, Amazon etc to sell both the current and Niv 84 versions to anyone wishing to buy them.

Posts 10289
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2012 3:06 AM

For product suggestions, Logos has Suggestions forum (user discussion) and email => http://www.logos.com/about/contact 

Email sent to Logos product suggestions with reference to this thread plus suggestion for NIV 1984 New Testament reverse interlinear (bit more expensive).

Keep Smiling Smile

Quick update: It seems someone reacts to your mails Smile - I just noticed that now the NIV 1984 product page shows three packages where it is contained (it's also part of the smaller SDA commentary set) and all of these three product pages now state explicitly that NIV 1984 is included. 

Hope they follow your suggestion as well...

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2012 11:28 AM

NB.Mick:
I just noticed that now the NIV 1984 product page shows three packages where it is contained (it's also part of the smaller SDA commentary set) and all of these three product pages now state explicitly that NIV 1984 is included. 

NIV 1984 product page link => http://www.logos.com/product/8786/new-international-version shows the three packages (while NIV 1984 is individually not available).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10289
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2012 4:08 PM

NB.Mick:
I just noticed that now the NIV 1984 product page shows three packages where it is contained (it's also part of the smaller SDA commentary set) and all of these three product pages now state explicitly that NIV 1984 is included. 

NIV 1984 product page link => http://www.logos.com/product/8786/new-international-version shows the three packages (while NIV 1984 is individually not available).

Keep Smiling Smile

Another update, which may be of interest to many who asked about the NIV Study Bible in the past:

Since Logos recompiled the SESB package, the currently available version no longer contains the NIV 1984 (the adventist commenatries seem to still do). However, according to the product page, the new Concordia Self Study Bible seems to contain the NIV 1984, as this study bible is a "Lutheran edition" of the NIV Study Bible, based on NIV 1984 text, maps, charts etc. and study notes, slightly reworked to reflect Lutheran points of view rather than the broad evangelical approach of NIV SB. Reviewers of the printed version pointed out that deviation of CSSB from NIV SB was indicated in the book - no idea if this is complete and has been carried over to Logos as well. 

I'm on the fence about this... I like my paper-based NIV SB a lot, especially that they often openly admit that there are points without a consensus and present different ideas in a rather fair manner. In terms of electronic SB, I have ESV SB and FSB, and the latter seems to be really really good. 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2012 4:42 PM

Does anyone know if the "third-party" packages sold in Libronix format will add the NIV1984 to the resource folder?  I am thinking of the older packages like Nelson's eBible collections and the various "Lifeworks" collections. 

It seems to me the license you buy with the boxed sets would cover all content advertised on the outside of the box. Or do none of them contain NIV1984?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 10289
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2012 4:48 PM

Super Tramp:
Does anyone know if the "third-party" packages sold in Libronix format will add the NIV1984 to the resource folder?
Sure they do - like old SESB.

Super Tramp:

I am thinking of the older packages like Nelson's eBible collections and the various "Lifeworks" collections. It seems to me the license you buy with the boxed sets would cover all content advertised on the outside of the box. Or do none of them contain NIV1984?

I have some of them and see KJV and NKJV and NCV (and MacArthur: NASB95) only. Seems Nelson didn't want to further Zondervan's business... 

Posts 352
Mike & Rachel Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2012 7:12 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
This is a common way of stating the issue, and it's correct that this decision is out of the hands of Logos. However, there's a third player here: the Committee on Bible Translation. These are the actual owners of the NIV (not Zondervan), they contract with Zondervan as their exclusive publisher in the U.S. and Logos sub-contracts from them.

It's more complicated than that Rich. CBT doesn't own the bible society, Biblical (formerly the International Bible Society) owns the translation and license it to Zondervan in specific geographical regions. 

From the horse's mouth: http://betterbibles.com/2009/03/31/the-production-of-the-tnivniv-bible-the-standard-of-integrity/

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2012 7:50 PM

Super Tramp:

I am thinking of the older packages like Nelson's eBible collections and the various "Lifeworks" collections. 

It seems to me the license you buy with the boxed sets would cover all content advertised on the outside of the box. Or do none of them contain NIV1984?

Looking at Logos.com noticed => Jimmy Swaggart Lifeworks Library , => The Jeremiah LifeWorks Library 2.0 , => MacArthur Lifeworks Library 2.0 , => The Stanley Lifeworks Library and => Nelson Bible Reference Bundle (200 vols.) [WBC, Preacher’s, and More!] none of them contain NIV.

Libronix Series X had NIV (on CD with Libronix 2.0) plus some base packages included NIV 1984 resource license:

In October 2011, Logos had a twitter daily deal for old CD's => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/41036/306184.aspx#306184 that included niv.lbxlls file, but did not include a NIV resource license.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1
Steve Major | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 23 2017 5:57 AM

I totally agree with you!!

Too bad Zondervan has taken this route....

Posts 1428
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 23 2017 6:46 AM

I realize this is an oooooold topic/thread, but since it resurfaced this morning, thought I'd throw in a couple of comments.

1)  My reason for wanting the 1984 version is that it's the version most (all?) of my commentaries and other resources use when referring to the NIV, and I've often enough run across specific words or phrases from the 1984 NIV that are discussed by these resources, but have been changed in the 2011 NIV.  To me, it's very frustrating to invest in the resources that reference the 1984 NIV, yet NOT be able to see the same text the author saw and discusses in detail in his/her resource that references the NIV.

2) In an effort to overcome the frustration noted above, last April I purchased the 1984 Anglicised version of the NIV available in Logos.  Not a perfect solution, but in several cases I found it better than the 2011 version when the NIV is being referenced by other resources. 

Posts 5571
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 23 2017 8:40 AM

Metro Region:
Too bad Zondervan has taken this route....

This was not Zondervan's decision (not that I'm a fan, or opponent, of Zondervan). The issue is with the holder of the NIV copyright which is Biblica. Biblica licenses the right to print the NIV to Zondervan.

I'm quite sure Zondervan would gladly publish the NIV84, as I'm sure sales of that version would far outpace the NIV2011.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 6729
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 23 2017 8:53 AM

I bought the NIV1984 as part of the SDA Collection and then a couple of days later it got removed from that collection since it wasn’t supposed to be sold at all. Since then, it has been removed from any package or collection that had it included in them.

It is not my favorite translation, but I find it useful for studying.

DAL

Posts 2831
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 24 2017 3:03 PM

fgh:

They had it. As I understand it Zondervan doesn't allow it to be sold anymore.

That is so.  The only way to obtain it now is to purchase it from someone who bought it from Logos years ago.  Since it was usually part of a collection, one would have to buy the entire collection that contained the 1984 NIV, for you cannot sell one book out of a collection.

This is a shame, and I cannot understand the logic.  The 1984 NIV was one of the most popular translations, and many of us (including me) still use it.  I still preach from it.

(I stand corrected.  I had understood that it was Zondervan's decision.  Regardless, the copyright owner does not allow it to be sold.)

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Page 3 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS