Mormon Studies Collection (45 vols.)

Page 6 of 6 (113 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6
This post has 112 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 339
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 7:55 AM

Seems what would be helpful is for the LDS to put out a publicly available systematic theology that is broadly recognized. Then they can say this is what we actually believe and it would help put an end to a lot of these problems and accusations. I think many Logos users would purchase something like this (I would!) that could be viewed as authoritative. Then the debate can at least be held on more solid ground. Instead we get things like these being former primary resources that are so outdated they no longer count. Transparency would go a long way here instead of so much secrecy.

Posts 344
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 8:23 AM

danwdoo:
Transparency would go a long way here instead of so much secrecy.

Danwdoo, I agree, an official ST would be nice.

But LDS has been anything but secret in the last 30 years or so (as compared to other managed denominations). You can even buy from them, color coded edit-tracing of the original documents, if you like .., who did what and when. I think, the issue is whether they want Logos as a reseller. Same issue for a lot of Isreal-based publishers.

I'd love to see color-coded Bible edits (as per apparati).  Granted a bit messy from so many.

Posts 339
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 8:57 AM

Yes, you can get all kinds of documents, but somehow there is still so little clarity on what are the fully flushed out beliefs of the LDS actually are at present. This thread should show that is abundantly clear. If there was a detailed work somewhere that answered these questions, a simple link to it would solve most of these ongoing questions and I think many on this thread would be interested in it. I would be! But unfortunately, such a thing does not seem to exist. Please someone better informed than me post a link if I am mistaken. I know LDS members and while we can reach agreement on what they do not believe, it's very difficult to get a full picture of what they actually do believe beyond lots of generalities. An official resource that can be fairly critiqued is something I would love to see in Logos (keeping it Logos centered!).

Posts 1558
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 11:43 AM

So, I'm pretty slammed this week, and have limited access. 

One of the issues is that Latter-day Saints are not Protestants. (Duh.) A religion which preaches living prophets, ongoing revelation, and a (theoretically) open canon, and which is also traditionally non-exegetical, is not going to produce a "systematic theology." Protestants who approach Latter-day Saint people or writings assuming that Protestant tendencies or established principles like inerrancy, sola scriptura, etc. cannot help but distort, misunderstand, and misrepresent. 
Some have done a good job (I've linked on Logos elsewhere to examples.) But others (whether legit scholars, counter-cultists/polemecists or posters here) really do a poor job representing what LDS believe and why, i.e. HOW they think. Because that HOW is not at all a Protestant mindset, even if there is a lot of shared historical, textual, and doctrinal overlap. 
More later, if I can.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 339
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 11:55 AM

Thanks for your willingness to engage, Ben. I do want to keep to the forum guidelines as much as possible and try to limit theological discussion so I'm hoping to find either resources currently in Logos that the LDS would view as fair and accurate representations of their views or suggested materials that we can request to be added.

Posts 1233
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 12:33 PM

danwdoo:

Thanks for your willingness to engage, Ben. I do want to keep to the forum guidelines as much as possible and try to limit theological discussion so I'm hoping to find either resources currently in Logos that the LDS would view as fair and accurate representations of their views or suggested materials that we can request to be added.

👍

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 5510
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2021 11:59 AM

I see that at this time this collection has three volumes listed in its PDP simply as "Book of Mormon". Could someone who knows why this is the case please explain?

Posts 2805
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2021 1:31 PM

SineNomine:

I see that at this time this collection has three volumes listed in its PDP simply as "Book of Mormon". Could someone who knows why this is the case please explain?

Actually, that's the main reason why I still see some cursory value in the collection (definitely not at $40 though).

These are three editions of the Book of Mormon.

The Logos tools would be extremely helpful to analyze what has been changed, and when. So only the "why" would be manual work then.

Similarly, if Logos ever makes a JW studies collection, I'd expect multiple editions of the New World Translation.

And if Logos ever makes a Quranic studies collection, I'd expect multiple editions of the Quran (yes they exist, despite Muslim claims to the contrary).

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Seminary Student (VIU).
Christian Debate Forum --- Auferstanden! Blog

Posts 1107
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2021 3:11 PM

Armin:

Let's stop arguing and push this collection into production. In a few days, my bid celebrates its 8th birthday!

Amen. And then we can push for Ben's modern Mormonism collection.  But I'd like to get this one over the line.

Posts 2805
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2021 3:55 PM

Ben,

Which book would you consider the best archaeological defense for the Book of Mormon?

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Seminary Student (VIU).
Christian Debate Forum --- Auferstanden! Blog

Posts 13
Defenders Media | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2021 8:16 AM

Ben is definitely one of the nicest people on the forums. He has been open about his Mormon (cough) LDS faith. As I have said for many years as an Ex-Mormon, (served a Mission in Brazil '04 - '06) I'd rather have a Mormon neighbor instead of a Christian neighbor any day of the week. They are hands down the nicest people even after my apostasy from the Mormon faith. 

That said, the goal of this forum is not to discuss or debate theological points and / or make exclusionary remarks. One thing you will encounter from lay level Mormons to Mormon Scholars is that they all disagree as to what is authoritative. It is very very annoying. 

For example, They will say, "Mormons don't believe that after attaining the Celestial Kingdom (Exaltation) and becoming Gods that they will create spirit babies." Yes you read that correctly.

On my Youtube channel (Mormon Suicide), I demonstrate a consensus across the Standard Works (Mormon Scripture), LDS Sunday School / Seminary Teaching materials, and LDS Scholars. Nevertheless, after watching the videos an LDS scholar brushed the information aside by saying "these aren't sources the typical member WOULD USE." Not that the sources weren't valid rather that most members wouldn't use them. 

That said, we must get push this resource into production. Years have gone by and it hasn't started. I have a max bid in on it. I encourage others to up their bid. 

PS: Mormons are the only "cult" ( have a love and hate relationship with that word) that has Scholars. They are credentialed in IVY league schools in Theology. Scientologists don't have them. It is logical contradiction in Jehovah's Witnesses circles as college education is frowned upon. Etc.

- Elder Suicide

Posts 583
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2021 3:08 PM

I've put in my bid, if we all raise our bids by 10.00 this would go into production. I really think this is a great collection for the price.

Posts 32997
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2021 3:50 PM

Defenders Media:
PS: Mormons are the only "cult"

The way that cult was defined for me in anthropology and religious studies classes in graduate school, LDS is no longer a cult -- it is an established religion. Cults are new, small, counter-cultural and usually temporary. They usually disappear within 3 or 4 generations.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 6 of 6 (113 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS