Mormon Studies Collection (45 vols.)

Page 9 of 10 (196 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next >
This post has 195 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 8

I also think this is the right path. If that could be possible, I would love to contribute with books, materials, contacts, etc, to make possible to have a complete library. I think the indexing system of Logos would be benefitial to millions of persons who would be glad to acquire the system to improve their study. I know the Church itself would also be glad to contribute.

Posts 36343
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 6 2022 3:24 PM

If you look at what the Seventh-day Adventists have done, it is clear that with evidence of a sufficient customer base and the cooperation of the Church publishers, a great deal can e done quickly. Its a matter of finding the right people with the right approach to FaithLife

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 56
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 7 2022 12:51 AM

For those who would like to study Mormon thought extensively, they already have a software created called "Scripture Citation Index." It is hosted by BYU and can be viewed and used by all free of charge.  https://scriptures.byu.edu/

A list of their authoritative commentaries, again hosted by BYU, can be found here. https://guides.lib.byu.edu/c.php?g=216544&p=1429443

Posts 56
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 7 2022 12:52 PM

After following he discussion somewhat, I think Faithlife may be holding off on the production of this series due to its viability in contrast to current Mormon thought. While investigating for resources that would be more in line with the current projection of Mormon theology; I found quite a few "open-access" journals on BYU's website, and another with a creative commons license. Below is a link, though they are not converted into Logos books, to about 210 volumes of peer-reviewed Mormon Theological Journals. They are "International Journal of Mormon Studies," "Interpreter," "Journal of Mormon Studies," and "Religious Educator Perspectives on the Renewed Gospel." 

Now, I dont know if Logos can create a collection of these journals. They are clearly marked "free & open access." While the journal "Interpreter" has a creative commons license. With that being said, you will probably find more insight into Mormon theology in these journals than anywhere else. These are not Mormon lay-journals, these are written by Mormon scholars for Mormon scholars and are a treasure trove for Christians who are into Mormon Apologetics. While I wish I had time to convert these to Logos format, simply having them in one convenient download package is the best I can do. The link to the collection is below and is about 1.8gb. God Bless.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1o10vilOphhnnd4GIlt8ThAZiin9iFJsD?usp=sharing

Posts 1613
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2022 7:12 AM

A number of LDS journals have gone completely open access recently. 

• BYU Studies- This does history, scripture, theology, poetry, literature. Academic, but accessible and traditional (due to its association with BYU)
  • Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought— Covers the same areas, but no institutional affiliation. That means its character or lean changes with the editor. It tends to lean progressive/non-traditional, it's just a question of how much. Right now, it's extremely progressive.
  • Journal of Mormon History— No institutional affiliation, academic, broad. 

There are some others as well, but the their history, affiliation, relationship, shifting approaches and names are too much inside-baseball for Logos, so I'll mostly just list them.

• The Journal of Book of Mormon Studies
  • The FARMS Review (of Books)
  • Mormon Historical Studies
  • Interpreter: A Journal of Latter-day Saint Faith and Scholarship— the traditionalist academic wing.
  • Studies in the Bible and Antiquity
  • Exponent II- Feminism, poetry, literature. Tends to be highly progressive.
  • Sunstone— like Dialogue, but not peer-reviewed, shorter articles, cartoons, tends to be highly progressive.
  • Religious Educator— Aimed at professional LDS teachers. Quasi-academic, scripture/history/theology, but also devotional. Published by BYU, so tends to the traditional side. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1613
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2022 7:13 AM

"A list of their authoritative commentaries," I can't imagine what "authoritative" means here, but I wouldn't use the term. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 56
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2022 10:45 AM

Ben:

"A list of their authoritative commentaries," I can't imagine what "authoritative" means here, but I wouldn't use the term. 

The only thing it can mean. Produced by Mormon Scholars that hold to the Mormon Worldview and theological perspective. They are also suggested by BYU, which I believe is the premier Mormon University in the US. They are authoritative within their theological framework.

Posts 36343
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2022 11:00 AM

David Jonescue:

Ben:

The only thing it can mean. Produced by Mormon Scholars that hold to the Mormon Worldview and theological perspective. They are also suggested by BYU, which I believe is the premier Mormon University in the US. They are authoritative within their theological framework.

Interesting. That implies that "authoritative" is used differently in the LDS tradition than in the Catholic tradition. Another interesting distinction of vocabulary differences to tuck away in my may-be-useful mental file.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5
Deborah Alves | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2022 11:08 AM

Yes. "Authoritive" in the Mormon religion is fluid, as fluid as their "Apostles" grant "authority" to "authorized" work.

If you use their work against them then it has to be "Authorized" by their council or "Apostles". For Example McConkie's first edition of Mormon Doctrine is not authorized because it spoke against the Catholic Church, and they had him revise it for the second edition, which is "Authorized".

Personally, I think they decided to use that as an excuse to make themselves appear more Christian. Becasue when McConkie wrote it their belief system was openly AntiChristian.

Posts 36343
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2022 12:34 PM

Deborah Alves:
Personally, I think they decided to use that as an excuse to make themselves appear more Christian. Becasue when McConkie wrote it their belief system was openly AntiChristian.
This comment is clearly outside the guidelines of the forums. Please refrain from derogatory statements about any religious faith system.

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Please abide by the following guidelines as you interact on our forums.

1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.
  2. Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics. Use one of the many web forums intended for these kinds of discussions.
  3. Please treat each other with the love, courtesy, respect, and kindness that you would if you were sitting in your living room together.
  4. Please do not use our forums to
    • sell or give away anything or link to anything you’re selling or giving away—including Logos products
    • promote or link to competitors
    • promote affiliate links or discounts
    • point people to other places that sell Logos-compatible products
    • advertise yourself, your business, your ministry, your website, etc. (a tasteful link in your forum signature is acceptable)
    • post Logos Coupon Codes. If you are aware of a special promotion Logos is running online, you are welcome to link directly to the promotion.
  5. Please search before posting. It’s likely that someone has already asked your question.
  6. Please help others follow these guidelines. If the problems continue after you’ve given a gentle reminder of these expectations, please click “Report Abuse” under “More” or send an email to forums@logos.com. If a user is a repeat offender, we may temporarily suspend their account. If the offenses continue, we reserve the right to permanently ban the offender's account from the forums either by shadow banning it or blocking it entirely.

Thank you for your cooperation. Enjoy discussing and learning about Logos Bible Software.

Posts 1188
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2022 12:47 PM

I'd still like to see the Mormon Studies Collection (22 vols.) to make it through Community Pricing and be published. There are a couple of reasons for this. I do think the collection has some historical value, if nothing else. It would also send FaithLife a signal that there's a market for materials on the LDS.  Perhaps that would clear the path for them to offer more current works, from both within the tradition and from outside it.

Posts 1486
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2022 1:20 PM

EastTN:

I'd still like to see the Mormon Studies Collection (22 vols.) to make it through Community Pricing and be published. There are a couple of reasons for this. I do think the collection has some historical value, if nothing else. It would also send FaithLife a signal that there's a market for materials on the LDS.  Perhaps that would clear the path for them to offer more current works, from both within the tradition and from outside it.

I imagine it could have supplementary value to compare changes. But I think I'd want to start with a "This is what we now hold" collection instead of a "we don't consider this relevant or binding" collection.

And, yes, I could be phrasing it in a way that is nonsense to actual Mormons. I'll leave it to them to correct me if that's the case.

WIN 11 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 1188
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2022 1:31 PM

David Wanat:

I imagine it could have supplementary value to compare changes. But I think I'd want to start with a "This is what we now hold" collection instead of a "we don't consider this relevant or binding" collection.

In my perfect world the collection would have a mix of both current and historical materials. It's obviously important to have the "this is what we now hold" perspective. But as someone who's looking in from the outside, the kinds of changes that have occurred over time are also of interest to me. 

My concern is that if this collection doesn't make it through community pricing, it could be some time before we see another one offered. Of course, I could be wrong, and they may offer another collection tomorrow.

Posts 56
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2022 2:01 PM

I don't really see them rushing into it. While Logos may be ecumenical within the main 3 (Protestant, Orthodox, Catholic) and the nuances within them; I think they are going to draw a line between being a distinctly Christian platform apart from what would be considered outside the fold. Think about it, when we open Logos, we are met with media including scripture verses; etc. There will never be a day in Logos that we are going to have quotes from the Dalai Lama, Muhammad, or the Pearl of Great Price. It is not going to happen. I also do not think they are ever going to offer alter-religious texts outside of its apologetic value in regards to the conversion of those within those realms, as opposed to being a platform for those within those realms to be further edified by being offered a platform for the advancement of their knowledge in a non-Christian religion. Logos is not that hard up for money, and they do not only see green. If anything, they would create a different platform that could be totally neutral and offer any book of any persuasion; but I see them keeping a tight reign on what they are going to let loose in Logos. And with this in mind, knowing that few people actually go from historical Christianity to Mormonism as oppose to the opposite; it will probably be hard for Logos to license Mormon literature if those that publish such, know it is going to be used specifically for an apologetic and deconversion tool against their belief system. It may be the main reason they are stuck using Public Domain works.  

Posts 1647
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2022 2:42 PM

David Jonescue:
If anything, they would create a different platform that could be totally neutral and offer any book of any persuasion; but I see them keeping a tight reign on what they are going to let loose in Logos.

I'm thinking maybe another software app.  Something like, well, let me see. Noet?  Or its earlier concept Libronix? Smiling.

Posts 36343
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2022 4:06 PM

David Jonescue:
I don't really see them rushing into it. While Logos may be ecumenical within the main 3 (Protestant, Orthodox, Catholic) and the nuances within them; I think they are going to draw a line between being a distinctly Christian platform apart from what would be considered outside the fold. Think about it, when we open Logos, we are met with media including scripture verses; etc. There will never be a day in Logos that we are going to have quotes from the Dalai Lama, Muhammad, or the Pearl of Great Price. It is not going to happen.

You don't get to say what is or is not in the fold and to attempt to do so is inappropriate in the forums. From the Luther College site:

According to a standard dictionary definition of Christians "as believers and followers of Christ", Mormons are Christians. Further, because the majority show universal Christian values such as generosity and forgiveness, the observance of regular worship and avoidance of “bad” deeds, Mormons seem to act as “Christians.” However, these observances answer the question of whether Mormons are Christians and not necessarily whether Mormonism, and thus the doctrine and beliefs of the LDS Church, are Christian. Jan Shipps, a Methodist and noted scholar of Mormonism, is often asked whether she believes Mormons are Christians and responds with questions of whether the question is analytical, analogical, historiographical or theological and religious.

Or if you prefer NPR:

And Mormons today would still believe that their church is the restoration of the true Christian church?

That is correct. It doesn't mean that no one else in the world will be saved except Mormons — that's not a Mormon belief. But they do believe that this is the church that God has authorized and is directing today.

BTW: historically the three branches of Christianity are (1) Oriental Orthodox (Syriac/Peshitta), (2) Eastern Orthodox (Greek/LXX) and (3) Catholic (Latin/Vulgate). Protestant is an offshoot of the latter, often treated as a 4th thread.

Posts 197
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2022 8:36 PM

And I would say your response from Luther college is not appropriate in the forum either.

Posts 13
Bridget Jack Jeffries | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2022 9:21 PM

David Jonescue:
There will never be a day in Logos that we are going to have quotes from the Dalai Lama, Muhammad, or the Pearl of Great Price. It is not going to happen. I also do not think they are ever going to offer alter-religious texts outside of its apologetic value in regards to the conversion of those within those realms, as opposed to being a platform for those within those realms to be further edified by being offered a platform for the advancement of their knowledge in a non-Christian religion.

https://www.logos.com/product/65180/skylight-paths-illuminations-series

I personally hope that Logos does branch out more, or launches a second neutral platform, or otherwise finds a solution, for those of us with an academic interest in other religious traditions. Being able to Google the contents of one's book collection is immensely useful outside of any pastoral / missional / Christian pedagogical intent. 

Posts 36343
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2022 10:14 PM

Bob:
And I would say your response from Luther college is not appropriate in the forum either.

It should not be necessary. But now and then we get a group of new Logos forum users who don't understand the breadth of positions Logos supports -- they need to be reminded that everyone should feel comfortable in the forums. I quote a variety of sources to avoid giving my personal opinion.

Posts 56
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2022 10:25 PM

MJ. Smith:

Bob:

It should not be necessary. But now and then we get a group of new Logos forum users who don't understand the breadth of positions Logos supports -- they need to be reminded that everyone should feel comfortable in the forums. I quote a variety of sources to avoid giving my personal opinion.

There is a difference between being respectful and making people feel welcome; and ignoring traditional Christianity to do so. We are not to ignore our own beliefs to make people feel as if they are the same as. Mormons theological underpinnings exclude them from any resemblance to biblical orthodoxy; from the relationship of God to humanity, the relationship of Jesus and Satan, the relationship of humanities intent, and the relationship of the afterlife. They believe skin color determines your (previous) relationship with God; and that is only a single facet of their divergence form orthodoxy. While I will not disrespect them and call them names: I will not pretend they are any more Christian than Buddhism, or Islam which also hold Jesus in high esteem. Nowhere in the forum guidelines that you posted does it say we have to pretend everyone is Christian in the name of charity. There is a reason Faithlife does not offer Mormon works; and it is not because they are one of us.

Page 9 of 10 (196 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > | RSS