A nice feature of Google books

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 33257
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 13 2012 2:32 AM

First I asked it to show me the use of three phrases over the last 200 years.

You can see that Covenant theology had a small surge 1870-1910 then in the late 1930's really took off as a major term. Liturgical theology has a blimp in the 1940's (from Dix I suspect) then starts to take off in the 1960's. Dispensational theology as a term is the newest to be used much.

If you click on one of the time period boxes preceding the phrase you get the Google books behind the data..

pretty cool.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 13 2012 3:04 AM

Awesome! Fascinating! How did you discover that? I could only find it by Googling "Ngram viewer" but what if I hadn't known it existed?

Here's an interesting one:

Here's another interesting one:

I guess interest in Jesus peaks around certain events: turn of the 20th century (when there was a lot of millennial fervor as there tends to be at the turn of every century), Great Depression, "Jesus People" movement, ...

Posts 33257
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 13 2012 1:35 PM

Rosie Perera:
How did you discover that?

You  want me to give away my nerdiness? It was pointed out in a Natural Language Processing course out of Stanford. (search for Coursera)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 178
DavidS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 13 2012 2:29 PM

MJ. Smith:

This is Fantastic! I guess my nerdiness is showing.

Posts 178
DavidS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 13 2012 2:43 PM

This is interesting.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS