Wishlist for Lectionaries

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 14 2009 9:42 AM

EDIT: My original post was way off... sorry for those who already read it. After posting this I'm going to pick up my coffee, get back to work on tomorrow's message, & stay off the forums for awhile. Smile

Add my vote to those who've asked for improved navigation in lectionaries.

At  minimum, we need a "today" button that goes to the nearest entry to today. In addition, with the entire year scrollable, the scroll bar isn't useful--there just isn't enough mouse sensitivity to move a small enough increment to scroll within this week's entries.

Lastly, I noticed that the RCL L3 lectionary for 11/22 has two colors (proper / green +Christ the King / white) whereas the RCL L4 lectionary has only one color. Is there a reason for the difference?

Thanks for listening!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 35803
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 11:49 AM

Bill Stonebraker:
Lastly, I noticed that the RCL L3 lectionary for 11/22 has two colors (proper / green +Christ the King / white) whereas the RCL L4 lectionary has only one color. Is there a reason for the difference?

Good catch. Actually I am always bemused by the colors in the RCL because the colors are tradition dependent and, in some cases, geographically dependent.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 12:38 PM

MJ. Smith:
colors are tradition dependent and, in some cases, geographically dependent.

:-)

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 489
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 8:04 PM

L3 displayed a color for the season and a color specific to the celebration. This was eliminated as it seemed either redundant (where they were the same) or confusing (where they weren't the same).

I have to admit that I'm unsure what the source was originally for the colors we have associated with the RCL in our resource. It is certainly true that there is plenty of variation among the many churches that use the RCL or derivatives of it. I would think that there's enough commonality in the western liturgical tradition that it's still worthwhile to keep them, but if we hear from enough people that they're just misleading or inaccurate, we'll certainly consider removing or adjusting them.

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 9:02 PM

Hi Louis,

My comment was more on the difference, not the accuracy...

Louis St. Hilaire:
It is certainly true that there is plenty of variation among the many churches that use the RCL or derivatives of it. I would think that there's enough commonality in the western liturgical tradition that it's still worthwhile to keep them

Agreed! and thanks!

Bill

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 35803
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 12:40 AM

Louis St. Hilaire:
I would think that there's enough commonality in the western liturgical tradition that it's still worthwhile to keep them

I would vote to keep them even if I am bemused by them. I think most people actually involved in worship planning have the sense to check for their own tadition. And many of the lectionaries you are apt to have, carry the color in their lectionaries  printed in their hymnals.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS