The Most Expensive Commentary I've Ever Purchased

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2314
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 20 2012 1:01 PM

Just out of curiosity, I checked out the original release dates of the Evangelical Exegetical Commentary and compared them to the current release dates.  As it turns out 2 commentary volumes have been released and 3 scheduled for release have been set for a future date.  I understand that this happens in the publishing world, but as it stands, I have paid about $350 for each volume.  Below are the books whose release dates have changed.

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Book                                        August 27, 2010                       Current

Ezra & Nehemiah                  June 1, 2011                            RELEASED

Psalms                                    April 1, 2011                           TBA

Isaiah                                       TBA                                         January 15, 2016

Hosea, Joel, & Obadiah        December 1, 2011                  December 1, 2014

Nahum                                     TBA                                         October 15, 2014

Habakkuk                                TBA                                         October 15, 2014

Zephaniah                                 TBA                                         October 15, 2014

Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi       TBA                                         October 15, 2014

Mark                                        August 1, 2017                           TBA

Philemon                                  TBA                                         RELEASED

James                                       TBA                                         September 1, 2012

2 Peter, Jude                            May 1, 2012                            TBA

1, 2, & 3 John                        December 1, 2011                  May 1, 2012

Posts 26148
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 20 2012 1:05 PM

Hum, my math & accounting teacher taught me to handle futures a bit differently than yours.Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 20 2012 1:05 PM

The James commentary is nearing completion...

https://twitter.com/#!/ibexdr/status/192109367556976640

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 2314
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 20 2012 1:54 PM

Glad to hear that James will be coming out soon.

To be honest, when I purchased this prepub I expected release dates to change.  Just like in every other area of life things are never completed on schedule.  My will attest to this - it usually takes me longer to complete home projects than I expect to.

Posts 10486
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 20 2012 2:39 PM

Ronald Quick:
it usually takes me longer to complete home projects than I expect to.

My wife has a theory on this. She says that men must believe that, if they complete a project, they will die. Therefore, they always leave some detail undone Big Smile

Posts 2314
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 20 2012 3:25 PM

Jack Caviness:

Ronald Quick:
it usually takes me longer to complete home projects than I expect to.

My wife has a theory on this. She says that men must believe that, if they complete a project, they will die. Therefore, they always leave some detail undone Big Smile

I love it!  I'm going to have to tell my wife this one.

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 20 2012 9:30 PM

Ronald Quick:

Just out of curiosity, I checked out the original release dates of the Evangelical Exegetical Commentary and compared them to the current release dates.  As it turns out 2 commentary volumes have been released and 3 scheduled for release have been set for a future date.  I understand that this happens in the publishing world, but as it stands, I have paid about $350 for each volume.  Below are the books whose release dates have changed.

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Book                                        August 27, 2010                       Current

Ezra & Nehemiah                  June 1, 2011                            RELEASED

Psalms                                    April 1, 2011                           TBA

Isaiah                                       TBA                                         January 15, 2016

Hosea, Joel, & Obadiah        December 1, 2011                  December 1, 2014

Nahum                                     TBA                                         October 15, 2014

Habakkuk                                TBA                                         October 15, 2014

Zephaniah                                 TBA                                         October 15, 2014

Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi       TBA                                         October 15, 2014

Mark                                        August 1, 2017                           TBA

Philemon                                  TBA                                         RELEASED

James                                       TBA                                         September 1, 2012

2 Peter, Jude                            May 1, 2012                            TBA

1, 2, & 3 John                        December 1, 2011                  May 1, 2012

YES INDEED!

This is why I did not buy!  I did not want to get frustrated.

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 6:39 AM

This is one of the reasons that I did not commit until the last minute on the EEC.

I was in Christian publishing for over 20 years and knew that commentary schedules are always greatly delayed. It was only because of my confidence in Logos and the financing deal that they made that I decided to place my order. I just hope I live long enough to see the final volume published.

Posts 10486
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 2:32 PM

Edwin Bowden:
I just hope I live long enough to see the final volume published

That would be nice, but going Home is also a viable option Geeked 

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 4:16 PM

I have never bought a series tht wasnt completed.  Too much can and does interupt the process.  I dont remember this deal, but prepaying for a series that wont be completed past 2016 is too much for me.

Posts 46
Dean J. Ferguson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 4:38 PM

Before raising too many concerns about the publication of the series, wait and see the net couple of tests.  (1)  Will they release the Epistles of John on May 1, 2012 and James in September?  ad (2)  Wil they provide a second, third, and fourth edition for no charge when authors revise their work?  It may turn out yet to become a cheap and excellent commentary.

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2012 5:39 PM

For any other publisher I would be worried about the delays, lack of communication and out of date websites but being Logos I just take it for granted that they will do an awful job in these areas but in the end come up with a reasonable product.

Posts 10486
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 22 2012 3:31 AM

Mike Pettit:

For any other publisher I would be worried about the delays, lack of communication and out of date websites but being Logos I just take it for granted that they will do an awful job in these areas but in the end come up with a reasonable product.

Interesting analysis—with which I completely agree Cool

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS