Frustrated long time user - "Not Responding"

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 77
Adrian Frost | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 23 2012 7:52 AM

I've been using Logos for quite a while - started with John MacArthur's study library in Logos 3 way back when...

Been using Logos 4 since it was released and have been becoming more and more disappointed as time has gone on. Currently using Logos on a laptop (main machine) with a Core2 Duo running at 2.00 GHz with 4Gb of RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce 9600GS M. And frankly Logos 4 is almost unusable to me. Scrolling is appalling as the page freezes and I get  a "Not Responding" message every few lines or so. Scrolling one chapter in Job (studying suffering...) takes over a minute. This is ridiculous. Any click generates a pause of upto about 10 seconds.

If it wasn't for the fact I have invested so much in Logos over the years I would ditch this joke of a piece of software in a moment. Real books are looking more and more appealing.

Yes, this will probably come off as a rant. I do really want to love Logos again so if anyone has any ideas other than "buy a new machine" then I'm listening.

Eglise Protestante Evangélique de Libramont, Belgique - www.epelibramont.com

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 23 2012 8:09 AM

Adrian Frost:
Currently using Logos on a laptop (main machine) with a Core2 Duo running at 2.00 GHz with 4Gb of RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce 9600GS M. And frankly Logos 4 is almost unusable to me.

Hi Adrian

My spec is not dissimilar to yours, Duo Core 2.2, 4GB, Radeon 4570 Notebook. Whilst not fast I would not describe Logos 4 as unusable, I do get not responding when some large resources are opened i.e. Barth's Church Dogmatics and it does seem to take a whiled from a search finishing to the results displaying. Have you tried the obvious things like running a defrag and checking for other programs using too much resource?

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 9101
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 23 2012 9:03 AM

Adrian,

I was frustrated as well with Logos' speed, although I was not having the slow speed you are experiencing. If your hard drive is a 5400 RPM one, upgrading to 7200 RPM will make a noticeable difference. Your 4 GB of RAM is enough as long as you are using a 64 bit OS. Otherwise you not getting the improvement 4GB of RAM can bring.

I have since upgraded my computer and speed issues are no longer a problem.

Be sure to check this wiki article on things you can do to help speed up Logos' response: http://wiki.logos.com/Speeding_up_Logos_4_responses

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 23 2012 11:09 AM

Adrian Frost:
Scrolling is appalling as the page freezes and I get  a "Not Responding" message every few lines or so. Scrolling one chapter in Job (studying suffering...) takes over a minute. This is ridiculous. Any click generates a pause of upto about 10 seconds.

Welcome Big Smile

Wondering what is open and linked together ?  Perhaps could share screenshot showing when scrolling takes over a minute.

By the way, wiki Getting Started with Logos has many Tips.  Observation: the default layout from GO on Home Page includes Passage Guide, Exegetical Guide (including Word by Word section) and Text Comparison being linked with 5 Bibles and a Commentary so scrolling causes lots of updates.

Personally have learned having less open in Logos is more productive along with knowing how to quickly more as desired.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 65
J. Bryant Evans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 6:21 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Personally have learned having less open in Logos is more productive

I think this is the key and in fact can make a difference on other programs too. With many items linked, the program has to make frequent calls to the hard drive to keep the links synced. Unlink some stuff and see if that makes a difference.

Bryant

Posts 77
Adrian Frost | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 7:14 AM

Thanks for the kind comments. Yesterday was a very frustrating day with Logos but following the advice here I have tidied up my work layout - down to having just four or so resources open and things are much more fluid. I guess it feels like I should be able to have a bunch of stuff open but it's not to be :)

I only have two bibles linked at any one time anyway so it was probably simply having too many windows open that was the source of the frustration. Scroll times are much reduced and I'm seeing less "Not Responding" messages. Digging into the settings and turning off "Show Visual Cues" has also seemed to help.

I've been kicking around on the forums for a few years now but my post count has gone down to 1 (or 2) not that I have ever been particularly prolific here :D

Thank you for your patience!

Eglise Protestante Evangélique de Libramont, Belgique - www.epelibramont.com

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 7:30 AM

Adrian,

Try this:

Save your layout that you have now; go to the layouts tab and click it and locate a blank one and click on it, let it load; after it loads, click the home page icon, after it loads type in, oh say,  John 3:16 and hit enter[upper left text box]; this will load a default layout for that function; see if you can work with this as it is.

If not then you can type in close all’ in the command bar and it will close all the tabs that loaded….if you can, then name that layout as ‘Bible Study’[or something to your liking] and keep it……

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 10:21 AM

Adrian Frost:
it was probably simply having too many windows open

If your work flow is such that you often feel the need to open a particular set of resources for a while, you might find this workaround useful: Floating Tool Windows. It's anything but ideal, but it's better than opening each resource separately, or saving the layout, switching to another, and then switching back again.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 10:53 AM

Fgh, yes this may be true but wouldn’t it stand to reason that if he is having cpu-spike-not-responding issues that this would be compounded by running another ‘floating window’, having them linked to the main window?...just asking..

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 10:53 AM

Adrian Frost:
Thanks for the kind comments. Yesterday was a very frustrating day with Logos but following the advice here I have tidied up my work layout - down to having just four or so resources open and things are much more fluid. I guess it feels like I should be able to have a bunch of stuff open but it's not to be :)

Newer hardware can handle more being open at the same time; yet Logos 4 can bog down any computer: e.g. link Exegetical Guide with Word by Word section open with Text Comparison (of Bibles and Manuscripts) and a Bible, then scroll (and wait).  For a long wait (hours ?), jump to a Bible book (e.g. Genesis) in the linked Bible without specifying chapter and verse (so Word by Word and Text Comparison have lots to do, which is too big to show on screen).  Unfortunately, the default layout from Home Page GO has this awful wait scenario potential (plus many Passage Guide sections to extend wait time).

May want to consider a Solid State Disk (SSD) for Logos 4 use.  Personally have custom partitioned my hard drive so Logos 4 always has the fastest part of the physical disk along with using a RAM disk for temporary files (also needed a new installation of Windows after partitioning hard drive).

Adrian Frost:
I've been kicking around on the forums for a few years now but my post count has gone down to 1 (or 2) not that I have ever been particularly prolific here

Suspect email address has changed, which resets forum post count to 0.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 11:48 AM

...Whilst I think that the floating window favorites thingiee is a good Idea, my only reason for not using the application is that I never could get the floating windows resources to save where I was when I closed it…..

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 11:50 AM

Room4more:
wouldn’t it stand to reason that if he is having cpu-spike-not-responding issues that this would be compounded by running another ‘floating window’

Agreed, but having one other window open for a while is a lot different to having "many windows" open all the time, which seems to be what he had when he had those problems. And having a fast way to open several resources at once for a quick look may actually make people more willing to close things they 'just may' need again later, thus resulting in a lower average of open resources.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 11:55 AM

fgh:

Room4more:
wouldn’t it stand to reason that if he is having cpu-spike-not-responding issues that this would be compounded by running another ‘floating window’

Agreed, but having one other window open for a while is a lot different to having "many windows" open all the time, which seems to be what he had when he had those problems. And having a fast way to open several resources at once for a quick look may actually make people more willing to close things they 'just may' need again later, thus resulting in a lower average of open resources.

Agreed. If we could figure out how to save the present snapshot[floating window], that would be extrodinare and a vitally useful tool..[well for me at least].

If he does the passage from the homepage, he can close what ever resource(s) he doesn't want open and still save the layout...this maybe productive for him..he will have to let us know...

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 12:19 PM

Room4more:
If we could figure out how to save the present snapshot[floating window], that would be extrodinare and a vitally useful tool..

The only way you can save the floating window is by saving the whole layout (in which case it becomes part of the layout, and not a "Floating Tool Window" anymore).

If I understand you correctly you might be interested in voting for Floating window layouts on Uservoice (if you haven't already).

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 12:45 PM

fgh:

Room4more:
If we could figure out how to save the present snapshot[floating window], that would be extrodinare and a vitally useful tool..

The only way you can save the floating window is by saving the whole layout (in which case it becomes part of the layout, and not a "Floating Tool Window" anymore).

If I understand you correctly you might be interested in voting for Floating window layouts on Uservoice (if you haven't already).

Welp, I really liked the idea when it was presented here, then after playing with it for various layouts of study, I noticed that it did not save…that was kind of a bummer. It really does have potential, aside from this little quirk that I have..Yeah I know I can save it another folder…..

been there -done that

*** I wonder how Adrian is doing?

Posts 18758
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 1:19 PM

Adrian Frost:
I've been kicking around on the forums for a few years now but my post count has gone down to 1 (or 2) not that I have ever been particularly prolific here :D

That probably happened because of changing your email address. Did you do that recently? You can have your post count (and thus links to all your past posts from your profile) restored if you like by emailing forums@logos.com.

Posts 10319
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 1:49 PM

I think Logos4 is just a squirrel'y kind of software (since so many layers of code interfacing with even more layers of system drivers, etc).

I've watched the 'too many resources open' for 'years' (2 1/2 to be exact) with curiousity. I routinely operate with 50+ resources open AND linked (4 link groups). On my slow-poke netbook, it certainly wasn't spiffy like Libronix but I didn't consider it unacceptable either. Bibles paged smartly, jumped when asked, and also the lexicons, etc.

Then I got a Core i7 and stuck an SSD in it plus kicked up the on-board memory. Logos4 moves nice but chews my battery up. So I reset the battery settings to use only 50% of the CPU and Logos4 now operates similar to the netbook but double the battery time. That's ok .... still very usable.

Where Paul Harvey's 'the REST of the story'?

Posts 8
John Grunditz | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 2:29 PM

I am going to jump on here. I have used Logos for years, the 90's, and was one of their early customers. I have upgraded through the years and Logos has been a joy to me. Like many here I am a pastor and preaching and studying are a central part of my life. I used Libronix 3 for a long time and loved it. I could fly around and it did everything I needed. I finally responded to those "time is running out" emails a few months ago and upgraded my Scholar's Package to Logos 4. I have really been disappointed. It runs slow and doesn't seem intuitive at all. I didn't think I'd need to spend time on Logos.com watching training videos or buying commercial training CD's. Something as simple as the old Englishman' Greek and Hebrew concordance searches seem so cumbersome and slow. Tiling is difficult. I can hardly get all my pastoral work done, so diving into a high learning curve doesn't appeal to me. I paid over $300 again for this upgrade, so i"ll probably press on, but I am tempted to just go back to Libronix 3. Sorry for the rant - I know I am among friends! God is good!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 2:58 PM

John Grunditz:

I am going to jump on here. I have used Logos for years, the 90's, and was one of their early customers. I have upgraded through the years and Logos has been a joy to me. Like many here I am a pastor and preaching and studying are a central part of my life. I used Libronix 3 for a long time and loved it. I could fly around and it did everything I needed. I finally responded to those "time is running out" emails a few months ago and upgraded my Scholar's Package to Logos 4. I have really been disappointed. It runs slow and doesn't seem intuitive at all. I didn't think I'd need to spend time on Logos.com watching training videos or buying commercial training CD's. Something as simple as the old Englishman' Greek and Hebrew concordance searches seem so cumbersome and slow. Tiling is difficult. I can hardly get all my pastoral work done, so diving into a high learning curve doesn't appeal to me. I paid over $300 again for this upgrade, so i"ll probably press on, but I am tempted to just go back to Libronix 3. Sorry for the rant - I know I am among friends! God is good!

Welcome Big Smile

Logos 3/Libronix forum has thread => What is more useful in Libronix 3.0g ? (especially compared to Logos 4.5a)

Thankful Libronix 3.0g and Logos 4 can peacefully coexist on my Windows 7 laptop.  Logos is no longer producing new resources for use in Libronix 3, however existing ones are still available plus Libronix support articles => http://www.logos.com/L3/support/windows

Personally like Logos Greek Morphology visual filter highlighting in Logos 4 so can visually see range of verbal expression in Greek and English (does need appropriate tagging).  For example, Ephesians 4:25-32 has a number of imperatives:

Wiki Extended Tips for Visual Filters has => Examples of visual filters that shows five Logos Greek Morphology visual filters.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9101
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 3:36 PM

John Grunditz:
Sorry for the rant - I know I am among friends!

Yes you are, and most of us had the same initial impression of Logos4. While previous versions of Logos built upon their predecessors, Logos 4 is a redesign. The whole enchilada is different. It will take you awhile to get it figured out and use it as well as you were using L3.

Mark Barnes' videos are about the best that I know that are available in Logos 4 for free. If you haven't done so, check them out here: http://www.logos4training.com/

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS