Trade-in program for paper books

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1957
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 24 2012 7:52 PM

Not long ago I sent in 2 old cell phones to a company.  I went to the website and gave them the type and condition of the phones.  They then quoted me a price ($80 each), sent me a box, and then sent me a check for the amount within 2 weeks of receipt.  This got me to thinking.

Logos should have a trade-in program for paper books.  They could do similar to the senario above, and then give you Logos credit.  They could then find places to sell the books like amazon, ebay, or even college campuses through the campus or campus bookstore websites like ecampus or textbooks.com.  They could also donate the books and take a tax right-off.

For example, I would like to buy the Raymond Brown collection:

Raymond E. Brown Collection (5 vols.)

I own all of these books in paper, and I cannot justify the purchase until my present copies are sold.  It may take me quite a while to sell them, and I will probably not sell them all at once, which means I will be left without some of these volumes for a long time.  I don't expect to get the full amount to purchase the Logos set, but I should be able to get at least half of the amount.  A trade-in system is exactly what I need!

It is hard to sell books if you only sell one here or there, but when you are selling in bulk like Logos would be able to do, then I think that they could actually make a profit. 

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 8:09 PM

Joseph Turner:
It is hard to sell books if you only sell one here or there, but when you are selling in bulk like Logos would be able to do, then I think that they could actually make a profit.

HMM. Of course they have to pay a person or persons full time pay and benefits to handle these books, plus they have to store and catalog them, and return them to you if the condition was not as you said. People do make money in the used book business, but I'd prefer Logos to focus on other streams of revenue closer to their core mission. I know this is just a suggestion, so Logos will do as they feel in the best interest of their customers, company, and mission.

About a year and a half ago I finally parted with a large number of both hard and soft back books from my library. I didn't make much, but it was better than nothing. I sold to a dealer. I might have made more doing on-line auctions but then I'd have a whole lot more work to do.

My advice: until Logos adopts this suggestion, contact a couple of used book dealers and see what they will offer you. Maybe you'll get the Brown Collection in Logos at a 'reduced' price by doing so.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 27431
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 8:23 PM

Joseph - Try book buybacks via Amazon.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1957
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 8:25 PM

Mark,

The point is not for them to make money selling the books.  I was just saying that there is no reason for them to lose money.  The point is that they would make it easier on their customers to buy their Logos books. 

The iPad app is free, and they spend a lot of time and resources on it, but it has made it much more convenient for me to read my Logos books, therefore making me want to spend more money on Logos books as opposed to paper books (or Kindle books).  It is the same idea.  By the logic that you put forth, they should never have created the iPad app because they don't make money on the app, they had to get extra people involved, and it takes the focus away from their Logos App.

Anything that takes away an excuse for people NOT to buy Logos books is worth looking into.  If they would give me such and such a percentage of my paper books, then I would probably buy about 50 more books this year.  It would be like the March Madness discounts, but on any book that I wanted to get.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1957
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 8:26 PM

Alabama (I am just north of Birmingham by the way), the point is not that I want to sell books, but that I think it would really help Logos sell a considerable amount more books.

Posts 27431
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 8:55 PM

Joseph Turner:
the point is not that I want to sell books, but that I think it would really help Logos sell a considerable amount more books.

I see what you are saying now. However, it would never be in the users best interest to do it this way. Logos would become a 3rd or 4th party in the deal. 

Posts 1957
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 9:06 PM

I think anything would be helpful.  I just sold my Pillar New Testament Commentary on Ephesians through amazon.com.  I bought it new for about $29.00, and I sold it for $23.00.  Once the fees and shipping hit, I got $16.00.  I would happily take half a book's worth for the convenience of having Logos sell it.  And again, I won't make much selling a book here or there, but if Logos were to do it, they would be selling a lot more books.  This could work, and it is not the steroid shot and codine cough medicine talking!  Must............sleep....................sometime............ Indifferent

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 7:22 AM

You're missing a couple of things:

• Those cell phones contain valuable metals. When that company quotes you a price, they've most likely already sold the phones to another company for much more, making a good profit. Used books, on the other hand, are bulky, seldom worth much, and requires a lot of work to sell, making any profit fairly marginal.

• When that company gets hold of you phones, they're taken off the market, increasing the demand for new phones. If Logos traded in used books in order to sell them, every book sold would mean one less potential customer for the Logos edition, which is, after all, the one they earn their money on.

So that company earns good money on a campaign that increases their sales, while Logos would, at best, earn a very small amount of money on a campaign that would decrease their sales. 

Joseph Turner:

Maybe it's different in the US, but I'd say the opposite. Selling in bulk gets you almost nothing, while I've actually managed to sell quite a few books over the internet for more than I payed for them. I've even managed to get more than 200 SEK for one book I once payed 8 for! And once I bought the public library's [unread] copy for 1 SEK and sold my own for something like 350. Big Smile But I agree it's not [generally] fast.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1957
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 8:53 AM

I only missed the point that you THINK I was making. The point is not for Logos to start a lucrative business selling used books, but to encourage people to buy the books that they already own in Logos format.  It would be no different than giving a discount, only they would have something tangible to offload somewhere else. 

As for losing money, people who are going to buy Logos books are going to buy Logos books, and the people who are going to buy paper books are going to buy paper books.  Logos could even advertise their software in each shipment of paper books.  If your argument were true, then there would be no such thing as a "bent and dent" industry.  Cereal companies even put out store brand items that are in direct competition for their full priced products, because they understand that they are getting business that they would have otherwise not gotten.

If people could get a small trade in for their books, then they would buy more books.  That is a fact.  Logos could come up with a way to offload those books in some manner that would benefit them, at least by covering the cost of the discount, which would be more than made up for by those who would be encouraged to purchase new resources.

Keep in mind that this is a suggestion.  I just think that I would look into different avenues and see what happens.  Logos may have already done a cost/benefit analysis and decided that it would not be feasible, but I think that it would bring in a lot more business, at least from those who already use Logos.

I can't be the only person who has not bought books in Logos, even though I wanted to, because I already owned a paper copy.

Posts 27431
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:00 AM

Joseph Turner:
I can't be the only person who has not bought books in Logos, even though I wanted to, because I already owned a paper copy.

But Joseph - The point we are making is that Logos would never be able to offer the amount you would be able to get elsewhere. The only thing preventing someone is psychological. Did you go through Amazon textbook sellback, or did you sell the book yourself through amazon?

Posts 1957
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:08 AM

No, I sold it through amazon proper.  The buy back program only gives you change on the dollar.

Posts 1957
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:12 AM

It does also depend on the book you have though, as some do get more than others, but many are not accepted at all. 

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:23 AM

Joseph Turner:

I only missed the point that you THINK I was making. The point is not for Logos to start a lucrative business selling used books, but to encourage people to buy the books that they already own in Logos format.  It would be no different than giving a discount, only they would have something tangible to offload somewhere else. 

As for losing money, people who are going to buy Logos books are going to buy Logos books, and the people who are going to buy paper books are going to buy paper books.  Logos could even advertise their software in each shipment of paper books.  If your argument were true, then there would be no such thing as a "bent and dent" industry.  Cereal companies even put out store brand items that are in direct competition for their full priced products, because they understand that they are getting business that they would have otherwise not gotten.

If people could get a small trade in for their books, then they would buy more books.  That is a fact.  Logos could come up with a way to offload those books in some manner that would benefit them, at least by covering the cost of the discount, which would be more than made up for by those who would be encouraged to purchase new resources.

Keep in mind that this is a suggestion.  I just think that I would look into different avenues and see what happens.  Logos may have already done a cost/benefit analysis and decided that it would not be feasible, but I think that it would bring in a lot more business, at least from those who already use Logos.

It is indeed, just a suggestion... A BAD SUGGESTION!

Posts 1957
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:24 AM

LOL, ok thanks.

Posts 9910
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:38 AM

I share the reservations some have voiced regarding making Logos a used-paper-book reseller. However, maybe this doesn't need to kill the idea. The point in case is that some people already own a book in either paper or another bible software, thus they feel a bit reluctant to spend money on Logos resources. The idea seems to be "give this people a special discount to encourage them buying @ Logos" 

Logos could do this in various ways without becoming a seller of used paper books. they could

• team up with a charity that provides books to seminaries and students in developing countries - buyers would send books there and this wouldn't impact Logos sales. The charity could maybe even issue tax-deduction credits to Logos
  • offer the discount on a proof of the user having sent it to one from a list of such charities 
  • offer the discount on a proof of ownership without requiring the user to give it away (which could, assuming a certain amount of honesty in the user base, be as simple as stating "yes I own one" in a webform, such as Crossway are doing with the free ESV resource package download)
  • more longterm, try to get the publishers into selling the books including a Logos licence (or rebate coupon) in the firstplace - the buyer gets an individualized coupon code in addition to the book

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1957
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:59 AM

NB.Mick:

I share the reservations some have voiced regarding making Logos a used-paper-book reseller. However, maybe this doesn't need to kill the idea. The point in case is that some people already own a book in either paper or another bible software, thus they feel a bit reluctant to spend money on Logos resources. The idea seems to be "give this people a special discount to encourage them buying @ Logos" 

Logos could do this in various ways without becoming a seller of used paper books. they could

• team up with a charity that provides books to seminaries and students in developing countries - buyers would send books there and this wouldn't impact Logos sales. The charity could maybe even issue tax-deduction credits to Logos
  • offer the discount on a proof of the user having sent it to one from a list of such charities 
  • offer the discount on a proof of ownership without requiring the user to give it away (which could, assuming a certain amount of honesty in the user base, be as simple as stating "yes I own one" in a webform, such as Crossway are doing with the free ESV resource package download)
  • more longterm, try to get the publishers into selling the books including a Logos licence (or rebate coupon) in the firstplace - the buyer gets an individualized coupon code in addition to the book

This is all I am suggesting.  Your points are my points.  It should simply be looked into.  THE POINT IS NOT TO MAKE LOGOS A USED BOOK SELLER.  I am also not looking for a place to sell my used books, even though I would utilize such a system.  I am just saying that any kind of trade-in program, however Logos chooses to do it, and with whatever discount they choose to give or whatever, should be considered.  I think that the suggestion thread is the perfect place for this type of discussion, to which you have added much value.

With that said, even though I think some have missed my point, all of the comments have been valid and appreciated (with the obvious exception of one).

Posts 88
Johann | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 10:02 AM

What would be cool is if the publishers agreed to a discount for people who prove they bought a book (like with a receipt). Call it an "upgrade" to a paper+digital package. I would see Logos getting their full cut, and the publisher could take some cut, knowing they have already sold their product to this customer - it's not costing them any money (except the people who ARE buying paper and Logos versions anyway) - just making their customers more happy and getting some money out of the upgrade. 

Now this, of course, would depend on the publishing companies seeing this as beneficial to their bottom line ...

Posts 27431
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 10:19 AM

Joseph Turner:
even though I think some have missed my point, all of the comments have been valid and appreciated

Yes

By the way, I also appreciate your tag line:

Joseph Turner:

Smile

Posts 1957
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 11:28 AM

alabama24:

Joseph Turner:
even though I think some have missed my point, all of the comments have been valid and appreciated

Yes

By the way, I also appreciate your tag line:

Joseph Turner:

Smile

LOL, yeah.  I don't post much because I have OCD, and it is hard for me to push "Post" without looking over the post over and over again.  Same with facebook status updates.  I decided to add the disclaimer today because it is just so hard to argue a point respectfully and have it come across that way while typing.  Your comments have been great.

Posts 773
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 8:48 AM

Joseph Turner:
I have OCD

You know you have a bad case of OCD when you call it "CDO"  (i.e., alphabetical order).

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS