Note file for highlighting in commentaries

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 110
Ron Cook | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 1 2012 10:32 AM

I'm trying to get more organized in Logos and keep all of my highlighting in relevant note files.  So far I am utilizing the approach of creating a note file for each book and keeping the highlights in that note file.  However, because of the sheer volume of commentaries I have I think a separate note file for each commentary may get overwhelming (i.e. hard to find in the list on the iPad).  So I'm thinking of keeping all of my commentary highlights in "book of the Bible" note files (i.e. Mark commentary highlighting in "Mark Notes" file, etc.).  I already use these for highlighting in the Bible itself.  Have any of you used this method for commentaries?  If so, how has it worked for you?

Samsung Series 7; Windows 8 64 bit; Intel Core i7-3635QM @2.4GHz; 8 GB RAM; 1 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT640M

Posts 29807
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2012 10:54 AM

Ron Cook:
I'm thinking of keeping all of my commentary highlights in "book of the Bible" note files (i.e. Mark commentary highlighting in "Mark Notes" file, etc.).

I am taking a similar but different approach… one note file for each set (i.e. BECNT). I think it would be easier to organize that way since you can organize your notes by reference.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 110
Ron Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2012 10:59 AM

Thanks alabama.  That was another option I considered.  Could you elaborate on "organizing notes by reference?"

Samsung Series 7; Windows 8 64 bit; Intel Core i7-3635QM @2.4GHz; 8 GB RAM; 1 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT640M

Posts 29807
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2012 11:26 AM

Ron Cook:
Could you elaborate on "organizing notes by reference?"

Note files can currently be sorted four ways:

"Note Color" and "Date Added" are self explanatory. " Sort by "Title" is a sorting of the note title by alphabetical order [NOTE: this is not the resource title, but the note title. By default, the note "title" is a truncated snippet of the highlighted text.]

Reference" is the biblical reference. If you have all of your BECNT highlights in one note file, sorting by reference would organize your notes fairly well. On the other hand, if you have all your "Psalms" commentaries in one file, sort by "reference" would mix up all the commentaries together. Personally, I think there are times where I would want that, but only when I have a special note file (i.e. a topical or special study).

Posts 110
Ron Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2012 11:52 AM

Thanks again.  Somehow I overlooked that setting.  It seems that saving the highlights in "book of the Bible" note files creates one giant study Bible.  On the other hand, storing the highlights in commentary set note files allows you to quickly find what you've deemed valuable in specific commentary series.  

Posts 23
Sean Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2012 3:09 PM

I am having a very hard time understanding how to organize my notes, perhaps a screen shot of what this particluar process with the Book of the Bible/Commentary option looks like may help, if that would be feasible. I am still trying to figure out what works best for me. Typically, I just create a note file for a particular book and then start reading different resources, which is probably not the most efficient way to go about it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, 

Sean

Posts 29807
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2012 3:42 PM

Sean Collins:
Typically, I just create a note file for a particular book and then start reading different resources, which is probably not the most efficient way to go about it.

When you say "book," do you mean resource (i.e. BECNT commentary on John) or do you mean biblical book (i.e. the Gospel of John)? At this point I create a new note file for EVERY resource, but I may group all of the commentaries from a single set together (i.e. BECNT could be in one note file).

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2012 3:45 PM

Sean Collins:
I am having a very hard time understanding how to organize my notes, perhaps a screen shot of what this particluar process with the Book of the Bible/Commentary option looks like may help, if that would be feasible.

You would need to create a new Note file first: Creating a New Note File

Then when adding a note to a Commentary, Right Click in the commentary where you wanted to add the individual note and in the pop-up menu select the new Note file that you create above (you will need your Note file open in Logos4 first).

Repeat the above action for adding other notes for your commentary into your Note file

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 23
Sean Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2012 7:35 PM

Thanks so much for all the help, gentleman! Alabama, My apologies for not being more specific, by "book" I meant a biblical book. Which as I think through your approach it seems to be better organized and simpler. One passage, one commentary, one note, sort by "reference."

If I imagine my desk with a bible, a highlighter, and multiple study helps, I would read through one commentary at a time, making highlights and/or margin notes, then going to the next. 

Whereas, the way I am doing it now if I imagine the same desk, I am picking up one help, reading a portion, highlighting, reading another help, highlighting, which before long gets really confusing.

Of course, I am doing it digitally :) Am I on the right track? 

Posts 23
Sean Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2012 7:41 PM

Mr. Clark,

Thank you for your screenshot, it is a tremendous help!

Sean

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS