Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3300
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 11 2012 3:46 PM

Okay- we need to always have a "add note" function available in the right click function.

Why? simple- if I start a new study, why would I use previous note files- i want a new note file.

Lets say I want to start a study on "depraved" using Rom. 1:28 as a starting place- I highlite the verse or word- click add note and I'm off on a new project-\.

Simple right? no!

Now I only have the option of "add community note" or a list of previous note files I have been using to choose from- why? I don't know- logos doesn't provide the right choice- PLEASE CHANGE THIS SOON!

Posts 2753
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 11 2012 3:55 PM

am confused.. I think there may be a flaw in your process, or maybe this will act as a work -around..

if you say File >NEW >Notes and give it a name ie "Current Study", it appears in the right click context menu under "add community notes", so am confused as to why you would want a "add note" link,

in future, if it isnt there in the right click  context menu just open the notefile again and it will reappear 

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 3300
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 11 2012 4:00 PM

because that way does not work the same way as their video- which is the more logical function for a right click. http://www.logos.com/video/2320/notes-part-1-revised

Posts 2753
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 11 2012 4:12 PM

yes but what you are asking for is to have a note created in limbo - not linked to a notes document until save, it just doesnt work like that in reality

It is like you writing a note on a scrap of paper and leaving it sat there for a few weeks, and having other stuff sit with it, on it etc, then thinking I am sure I made a note of this... but not being able to find it..

it has to link to somewhere or it could get lost(orphaned).. which would be worse - it really would

EDIT: the video is from 4.1 or 4.2, there was a fundamental change in notes/highlights in 4.5 which the video has not been updated to relect

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 11 2012 5:34 PM

DominicM:

yes but what you are asking for is to have a note created in limbo - not linked to a notes document until save, it just doesnt work like that in reality

It is like you writing a note on a scrap of paper and leaving it sat there for a few weeks, and having other stuff sit with it, on it etc, then thinking I am sure I made a note of this... but not being able to find it..

it has to link to somewhere or it could get lost(orphaned).. which would be worse - it really would

EDIT: the video is from 4.1 or 4.2, there was a fundamental change in notes/highlights in 4.5 which the video has not been updated to relect

That’s not really true. The note[file] stays in your notes until you personally delete it, it will note just ‘go away' or get lost because you did not use it. Just knowing that it has a title of "Current Study" gives it life. No note file has to be linked to anything to show up in the right-click list, just be created and in your note files.

You can evan name it 'random thoughts for study' and not be 'attached' to anything and it will always be in your notes file list - again just knowing what the title is makes it useful....so the note is created in 'limbo' as you say.........

hope this helps.

EDIT: sorry I forgot to address the 'Add Note' click, I think that if there was such a function that it would just open the NOTES file where you can name it and start typing away, it would not have to be attached to the text or the resources - but just randomly applied.....this in general is the same as having a note file called 'Current Study' w/no attachments.

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 11 2012 5:48 PM

buumptiy-bump.

Posts 3300
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 12 2012 4:12 AM

Room4more:

DominicM:

That’s not really true. The note[file] stays in your notes until you personally delete it, it will note just ‘go away' or get lost because you did not use it. Just knowing that it has a title of "Current Study" gives it life. No note file has to be linked to anything to show up in the right-click list, just be created and in your note files.

You can evan name it 'random thoughts for study' and not be 'attached' to anything and it will always be in your notes file list - again just knowing what the title is makes it useful....so the note is created in 'limbo' as you say.........

hope this helps.

EDIT: sorry I forgot to address the 'Add Note' click, I think that if there was such a function that it would just open the NOTES file where you can name it and start typing away, it would not have to be attached to the text or the resources - but just randomly applied.....this in general is the same as having a note file called 'Current Study' w/no attachments.

Not true if you hilite a text, word or verse, the note attachs itself to that particular reference- so its not in limbo.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 12 2012 4:50 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:
we need to always have a "add note" function available in the right click function.
Yes

Posts 2753
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 12 2012 5:37 AM

Room4more:

I think you may be mistaking the container/drawer/notefile for the physical note you are adding, its the container/drawer/notefile  that shows on the right click list, the note itself needs to be stored in a container/drawer/notefile

Whyndell Grizzard:

Not true if you hilite a text, word or verse, the note attachs itself to that particular reference- so its not in limbo.

yes I accept that, but you have chosen which container/drawer/notefile/document your new note is being contained in when you click on it in the context menu

EDIT: What you are  asking  to be implemented if I understand you correctly is to create the new container/drawer/notefile on the fly reather than beforehand..

Until that is container/drawer/notefile container/drawer/notefile has been created there is no container/drawer/notefile to store your new note (thats what I meant by limbo)

Likely still as clear as mud..

remind me not to post to forum at 1am

Posts 29347
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 12 2012 6:30 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

I am not sure what Dominic meant by "in limbo," but I wonder if you understand how notes work. To clarify:

1. ALL notes must be in a note file. You can't "add a note" to a verse. You must add a note to a note file
  2. In the video you referenced, it is critical to observe that "add note" did two things: It created BOTH a note file AND a new note.
  3. Notes can be attached to text two ways: By "selection" or by "reference." 
  4. Notes that are by "selection" are only visible in the resource used (i.e. a by "selection" note in the ESV isn't visible in the NIV).
  5. All highlights are by "selection" by Logos definition, and therefore are only visible in a singular resource (i.e. ESV).
  6. Notes that are by "reference" are visible in any versified resource at that reference point (i.e. Jn. 3:16 in any Bible, commentary, etc.).

It is not true, that if you highlight "a text, word, or verse, the note attachs itself to that particular reference." 

1. A highlight is always a by "selection" note and not a by "reference" note. 
  2. "References" can't "hold" notes. A note (in note file) can be, however, attached to a reference. If the note file were to be deleted, so would the note.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 12 2012 7:17 AM

Hmm this is all interesting. So I guess the question remains, Can I make a note that is not attached to anything?, Can I have a random note file open such as one called “Random thoughts” and add notes to it without being attached to any reference or highlight or text selection of any sort. Basically it is just a note file that contains other notes…-?

Thanks.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 12 2012 7:23 AM

Room4more:

Hmm this is all interesting. So I guess the question remains, Can I make a note that is not attached to anything?, Can I have a random note file open such as one called “Random thoughts” and add notes to it without being attached to any reference or highlight or text selection of any sort. Basically it is just a note file that contains other notes…-?

Thanks.

Yes, File - New - Note (Opens a new note file)

Add Note (creates a note that is not attached to anything)

Posts 2753
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 12 2012 7:29 AM

Room4more:
Can I make a note that is not attached to anything?

yes but it still needs to go into a Notefile/Drawer/Document

Room4more:
Can I have a random note file open such as one called “Random thoughts” and add notes to it without being attached to any reference or highlight or text selection of any sort.

yes - "Random thoughts" is your Notefile/Drawer/Document

Room4more:
just a note file that contains other notes

yes I guess so

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 12 2012 7:48 AM

Ok, so  - why can I not just have a right click stating "add note" w/something[text or word]  highlighted and it creates a new note file? Basically: It pulls up the 'notes' tab and i just name it, add the note and keep going......[routine: <File -> New -> Notes> ] since it is going to attach itself to whatever I have highlighted at the moment/? Since the note file is intuitive to whatever is highlighted as well as randomly, I think it would work.

Posts 29347
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 12 2012 10:12 AM

alabama24:
Notes can be attached to text two ways: By "selection" or by "reference."

I didn't mean to imply that notes HAVE to be attached, but that there are two ways to do such. You can create unattached notes, but like all notes, they must be in a note file.

By the way, unattached notes are not available to be viewed on the mobile app. Only attached notes can be viewed.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 12 2012 10:14 AM

alabama24:
By the way, unattached notes are not available to be viewed on the mobile app. Only attached notes can be viewed.
This sounds like a poor design to me.  I have 100's of unattached notes.

Posts 41
J.D. Matthews | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 13 2012 7:22 PM

I understand what you want. Every other program I use that has note taking feature allows you to add a NEW note on the fly. Logos makes you create a new note from file menu and open it before you can add note from right click menu. Would be nice to have a right click menu that was more note friendly.

Posts 36
Maria V.Garrido | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 6 2013 7:57 PM

I am having something similar when creating notes. If I understand correctly, when creating a note for every Bible I must select the reference and if I want the note only to the particular word, I must select the word. 

1. I first have to create the note giving it a name before anything is available.

2. I then select the reference.

3. I then Right-click and there is no created note available

If, however, I select a word, then the created note appears when I right-click.

In LIbronix 3.0 if you selected the reference and right-clicked you had:

- Add a note to General Notes

-- Add a note to selection.

-- Add a note to article

-- Add a note to verse [e.g., Jn. 1:1, if that is the verse you have selected].

Such is not available in Logos 5, at least that I can find.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 7 2013 5:52 AM

Blessings, Maria!                          and Peace to you in our Lord Jesus!

You may not have received a response sooner because you attached your post to a very, very old thread!    

Basically what you say is absolutely correct!             When I make a note, my method is to first open from the Documents menu the note file that I plan to use.   Or, I create that note file.                  Then, just as you outlined .....                  I use "selection" a lot more the "reference" because I like my note to "appear" no matter which Bible I happen to be using.  You just need to practise a bit, I would think!    *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS