Lost 95+% of my note file

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 4:42 AM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

The Logos4\Documents folder can be backed up by any off-the-shelf Windows backup software (and there are several free options available).

Is there than an import so that our backed up files can be restored?

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 10847
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 5:44 AM

TCBlack:

The Logos4\Documents folder can be backed up by any off-the-shelf Windows backup software (and there are several free options available).

Good question TC. Without an import feature, backup become an all or nothing proposition—which is only a small step above useless.

Posts 1970
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 10:44 AM

John Fugh, Jr.:
I currently use carbonite

John:

I used Carbonite also and it is a fine product, with this one really, really big caveat:

If you delete a file, accidentally or not, it will be available for restoring for 30 days. After that, you're toast (or the file is, anyway).

I was astonished to discover this. After all, does one usually discover the accidental deletion of a file within 30 days? I doubt that I would in many cases.

Just a general FYI, and I'm not disparaging the Carbonite product; I found it to be the easiest to use and one that requires less attention..

Window 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

Posts 27232
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 5:39 PM

TCBlack:

I'm surprised that Bradley did not clarify restoring files from a backup, especially where documents have been deleted:

• no caution about recovering individual document databases/files vs restoring the complete \Documents folder.
  • no mention that Sync might remove the "lost" documents and you're back to square one!

In fact, there can be no secure user recovery unless Logos provides a tool that works at both ends  eg. it tells the server to mirror the backup  or to accept documents from the backup unless the server copy is newer!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 5:57 PM

Dave Hooton:
In fact, there can be no secure user recovery unless Logos provides a tool that works at both ends 
Yes

If you ask me, we cannot backup our data for L4 because of this.  If we cannot restore our data from our backup files, what good are our backed up files?

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 6:25 PM

But we knew that in late October 2009. I'd assume the beta testers well before that. And the designer at the start. This was a conscious decision.

I still say Libronix3 was a good design. May have had some IE issues, but I uniformly always got my books before Logos4 people did. And everything is nicely backed up and tested.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 28 2012 4:56 AM

DMB:
This was a conscious decision.
And it was a poor decision (IMHO)

Posts 28
Allen Dearing | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 28 2012 6:36 PM

It sounds to me I have made a bad choice. I wanted an up to date Bible Study tool so I went with Logos 4 and started transfering my thousands of pages of files from Quick Verse (they abandoned notes before a Windows 7 compatible program came along).  I am copying and pasting thousdands and thousands of notes - about to finish Exodus. 

BUT now the problem hit me.  Up until yesterday I was able to right click a word to highlight it and pull up a menu - select add note and then paste the note and it be attached to that word.  Starting yesterday I can only add notes to an entire verse - even though the old notes I have added are still showing up on words.  I can not for the life of me think of anything I did and have checked and rechecked all options - Any people have an idea what I am doing wrong?

Allen

Posts 28
Allen Dearing | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 28 2012 6:39 PM

Forgot to say, I am wondering if in some way I switched the note from a file specific to New Kings James Version to one that is generic for all Bible translation, but can not figure how to check that and also not certain why new notes are not showing up in all versions of the Bible Then.

Posts 29903
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 28 2012 7:58 PM

Allen - I am on my iPad, so I can't give any screen shots. When you add a note, you have two choices of note type. You can create a note by selection OR by reference. On the right hand side of the contextual right-click menu, you will see these tabs. A note by REFERENCE will appear in ALL versified resources (bibles, commentaries, etc.). A note by SELECTION (i.e. adding a note to a word) will appear ONLY in the resource being used. Both kinds of notes can be located in the same note file.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 28 2012 9:07 PM

Allen Dearing:
Starting yesterday I can only add notes to an entire verse - even though the old notes I have added are still showing up on words.  I can not for the life of me think of anything I did and have checked and rechecked all options - Any people have an idea what I am doing wrong?

Adding notes to an entire verse sounds like adding notes by reference, which can appear in all Bibles and Commentaries with that reference.

Allen Dearing:
I am wondering if in some way I switched the note from a file specific to New Kings James Version to one that is generic for all Bible translation, but can not figure how to check that and also not certain why new notes are not showing up in all versions of the Bible Then.

When notes are added to specific highlighted words, currently notes only appear in that resource.

Wiki has => Notes (ver 4.5 & up) that has screen shots showing notes being added by selection and by reference.  In right click menu, selection and verse reference are the top two lines on the right side.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 28
Allen Dearing | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 29 2012 5:46 AM

Thanks for all the information.  I see now where I had changed the setting and it is back to where I wanted it.

Still concerned about not being able to back up and restore at will notes.  I remember a year or so ago a company that the government shut down for having copy righted material on it in addition to many companies storing their data on it and the companies have not been able to get their data back.  The Cloud is great for some things, but not for others and I think basing your entire program on people being able to access the cloud to even install it is an unwise business move that might have huge ramifications down the line.  Customers might not be fully up to date, but a hard copy install disk with everything on it for each basic form of the software would be much better - then if people want to upgrade they can when and if they want to.

Allen

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS