Bible search interface confusing

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 16 2009 7:46 AM

I thought it might be worth recording that I find the Next/Previous page functionality on the Bible search confusing. In fact, I thought Logos was broken until I worked it out. I may be the only stupid one, but experience tells me that often I'm not! Perhaps the interface could be changed:

• It's confusing because its unusual. Most search pages just return all results.
  • It's confusing because it doesn't say Next page or previous page, but just gives the reference of the next result. I thought the report had truncated, and didn't realise I was supposed to click on the reference.
  • It's confusing because clicking on all the other bible references on the search page bring up Bibles. Clicking on the next Bible reference (which looks identical) brings up the next page of search.

I therefore suggest:

• Do away with paging on this search.
  • OR use proper "Next page" text, possibly with a page 1 of 3 or similar.
  • OR use ranges (Gen 2:7-Dan 3:4    | Dan 8:7 - Mal 2:1). But if you do this, make it very clear these links are difference to the other links.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 24
Stuart | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 8:08 AM

That is strange... I never noticed it before until you pointed it out and so I performed a few big searches.

I found, thoug, that if I change the search results view to 'verses' or 'aligned' instead of 'grid,' there were search pages on the bottom, and not the verse-listings.  I will give a couple of pictures to illustrate:

GRID view:

VERSE view:

ALIGNED view:

It is only for the GRID view that Logos4 does the strange verses-instead-of-page numbers.

I hope this helps,

Stuart.

Posts 97
Greg Gray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 8:33 AM

I too find this very annoying.  I hate having to scroll to the bottom of the page only to find I have to hit "next" wait for the search to take place all over again - only to find the info I'm looking for is not on that page either.  

I would far rather scroll through a thousand hits than flip through pages that may or may not have what I'm looking for.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS