"Warning 1946" on install of 4.5c Beta 1

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 19305
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 18 2012 10:29 PM | Locked

I have "Automatically Download Updates" turned off. I am on the beta channel.

I got the notification that there were some updates to download (which would include 4.5c Beta 1 plus a recent prepub that shipped). I clicked to download those.

After the download completed, I got the notification that there were new updates to be installed. I right clicked on the Logos icon and chose to Install.

Partway through the installation process I got this warning message (I've dragged the warning message box away from the progress box that was underneath so you can see what it was in the middle of doing when this warning came up):

I grabbed a snapshot of all the log files at this stage and attach them here: 0116.InstallWarning20120518a.zip

Couldn't find any such warnings mentioned in logos4setup.log. And PrerequisitesInstall.log was not touched today; it was an old version so I haven't included it.

Logos did go ahead and start itself up just fine after this warning, so perhaps I should not be alarmed. But it's the kind of thing that would still worry most users and it's a sign of some underlying problem, so it should be taken care of.

NOTE: I just found this explanation of the warning: http://www.logos.com/support/windows/L4/warning1946

Since it's a non-fatal problem, then I suggest you not bother users with the warning at all. Users don't need to know this and wouldn't know what to do with it. So Logos should just ignore the problem and keep on going on its merry way. It'll probably cut down on support calls to not put up that warning message. There seems to be no point. Output the warning in a log file instead of up on the screen.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 19 2012 6:18 AM | Locked

Rosie Perera:
Since it's a non-fatal problem, then I suggest you not bother users with the warning at all.
Agreed. I've hit this one on the odd occasion, I think I was one of the first in early beta to complain about it. 

Either way it isn't important enough to scare users with.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 8
Heather_G | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 20 2012 9:25 PM | Locked

Thanks for posting this.  I had the same thing happen to me.  It's good to know it's nothing to worry about.

Posts 646
Ann Boyles | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 1:54 PM | Locked

I have filed a case for this suggestion. Thank you.

Posts 67
LogosEmployee
Bryan Albert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2012 2:04 PM | Locked

Rosie,

Do you happen to have DigitalLibraryInstall.log file? I realize that you have probably installed Beta 2 since then, which would have overwritten that log file, so it's a long shot, but that's where the relevant information would be. 

This is a Windows Installer-issued warning which we can't control (other than not showing any Windows Installer windows at all, which would be really confusing), so unfortunately we can't just elect not to show it. In fact, the Logos4Setup.exe program (which manages the Windows Installer installs) doesn't even know that there's a warning dialog being displayed at all. I've tried in the past to figure out what's going on, but it seems like a rare enough problem that I haven't found anyone discussing what causes it, much less how to fix it. I can't really reproduce it, either, so it's hard to study. I'm looking at it again, though... 

Bryan

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2012 2:12 PM | Locked

Bryan Albert:

Rosie,

Do you happen to have DigitalLibraryInstall.log file? I realize that you have probably installed Beta 2 since then, which would have overwritten that log file, so it's a long shot, but that's where the relevant information would be. 

This is a Windows Installer-issued warning which we can't control (other than not showing any Windows Installer windows at all, which would be really confusing), so unfortunately we can't just elect not to show it. In fact, the Logos4Setup.exe program (which manages the Windows Installer installs) doesn't even know that there's a warning dialog being displayed at all. I've tried in the past to figure out what's going on, but it seems like a rare enough problem that I haven't found anyone discussing what causes it, much less how to fix it. I can't really reproduce it, either, so it's hard to study. I'm looking at it again, though... 

Bryan

IIRC it is related to already having the Logos Icon pinned on my taskbar. It does not appear on every install/update but it does recur from time to time.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS