Just bought Logos Scholar Edition at a Iron Sharpens Iron conference... love it, but...

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 127
Robert I | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 20 2012 3:09 PM

Okay, I was totally sold by Rick Grantham's sales pitch for making me a better man of God through various tools.  Loved what said and now wished I had heard him speak on Empowered: What the Bible Says About Being a Man. 

On a side note, when he demoed this, he had the default screen do some very cool things.  I installed the app on my home laptop and my work laptop.  I did a search and I did not get the cool things pop up like I had hoped.  Is there a chance that someone has seen this and know how to set this up.  I am new to Logos after using a much different version in Bible College and Seminary.  Blessings and thanks in advance!

Remaining in Him (1 John 2:28), Robert

Mac Book Pro, Windows 7 Professional, iPhone 4S, iPad 1

Posts 36393
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 20 2012 3:15 PM

I'd need a bit more of a hint as to what the cool things were. But if you go to the Wiki (see top most line of the forum) you'll find videos and web instructions for some pretty cool things.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 20 2012 3:27 PM

Robert Iversen:
On a side note, when he demoed this, he had the default screen do some very cool things.  I installed the app on my home laptop and my work laptop.  I did a search and I did not get the cool things pop up like I had hoped.

Welcome Big Smile

For a search, wondering what cool things you hoped to see ?  Curious about search ?

Wiki has => Getting Started with Logos with many Tips and links.  Wiki has => Logos 4 Video Tutorials with links to many video tutorials.

My favorite Logos 4 feature is visual filter highlighting using Logos Greek Morphology so can visually see range of verbal expression in a passage; wiki Extended Tips for Visual Filters has => Examples of visual filters that includes a screen shot with five Logos Greek Morphology visual filters and corresponding highlighting palette, which are usable in Greek and English resources with appropriate tagging (e.g. English Reverse Interlinear and Greek resources with morphological tagging).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9553
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 20 2012 4:13 PM

Robert, welcome to the wonderful world of Logos.

The good thing is those cool things are in there and even more and eventually you will learn how to make them pop up.

KS4J has pointed you to the wiki and to some video tutorials. I personally recommend looking at Mark Barnes' videos which are linked to at the wiki location KS4J pointed you to.

You need to learn how to prioritize resources, build collections, and create custom Passage Guide and Bible Word Study guides. You'll probably want to explore Notes and Clippings as well.

There are four types of searches Logos can do and with the Scholar's package you can do all of them: Basic searching, Bible searching, Morphological searching, and Syntactical searching. You can learn about all these through the wiki.

Most of us have found it takes some time to really learn all there is in Logos and how to use it, so be patient and feel free to ask questions here.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2604
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 20 2012 5:40 PM

Mark Smith:
Most of us have found it takes some time to really learn all there is in Logos and how to use it,

Finally there is someone who has learned "all there is in Logos".  Wink

Posts 9553
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 20 2012 6:00 PM

I think I know all there is, just not how to use it all. That's an entirely different matter.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 20 2012 6:49 PM

Concur with the above suggestions, but would add that if you live near any Logos power users, spending an hour or so surfing their shoulder would probably pay great dividends--especially if you are completely new to Logos software...and there is a lot more to it than just the client, as you've begun to discover by reaching out through the forum.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 20 2012 8:23 PM

Robert Iversen:

Okay, I was totally sold by Rick Grantham's sales pitch for making me a better man of God through various tools.  Loved what said and now wished I had heard him speak on Empowered: What the Bible Says About Being a Man. 

On a side note, when he demoed this, he had the default screen do some very cool things.  I installed the app on my home laptop and my work laptop.  I did a search and I did not get the cool things pop up like I had hoped.  Is there a chance that someone has seen this and know how to set this up.  I am new to Logos after using a much different version in Bible College and Seminary.  Blessings and thanks in advance!

I think that it would help us, if best to your ability, you could tell us some of the things that you seen or got to see. If there was a web page that he had given you for later usage that would help us as well....

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 127
Robert I | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 8:41 AM

Thank you, everyone... I did go to the Wiki and listened to a lot of the unofficial videos from Logos... love the British/Irish accent of the gentleman who is very calm and easy to follow.  What great resources.  I am completely new, so I had no idea what it was called and had hoped someone had seen a demo before and might have an idea.  :-) 

On that note, I did do a lot of exploring and have figured it out. It appears that he was looking up a verse doing a search from the Home screen.  It was quite fantastic.  Of course, there is so much more and I am very excited about this beginning journey.  It is re-energizing my passion for studying to encounter my Lord and Savior... quite wonderful. 

I do have one wish... I would love to be able to buy a single book from a commentary and not the whole set.  Some of these sets are more expensive than the Logos software I first bought (Scholar's Edition).  Indifferent

Does anyone have a particular devotion that they use.  I would prefer a contemporary one, if possible.  Can this be place on my home screen that seems to have a lot of stuff I am not quite sure what purpose it servers... I know... I am 'newbie,' as my son would say when I play a video game with him. 

Posts 26059
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 9:13 AM

Hi Robert

Good to hear that things are starting to make sense

Robert Iversen:
I do have one wish... I would love to be able to buy a single book from a commentary and not the whole set.  Some of these sets are more expensive than the Logos software I first bought (Scholar's Edition).  Indifferent

Logos do this when possible - for example the WBC set are available individually - but often are constrained by what publishers allow.

Robert Iversen:
Can this be place on my home screen that seems to have a lot of stuff I am not quite sure what purpose it servers... I know... I am 'newbie,' as my son would say when I play a video game with him. 

Does the information at http://wiki.logos.com/Home_Page give you some pointers about customising what is shown on the home page. The basic idea is that you can turn on things you are interested and turn off the things you don't want.

Hope this helps

Graham

Posts 1883
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 9:18 AM

Graham Criddle:

Hi Robert

Robert Iversen:

Logos do this when possible - for example the WBC set are available individually - but often are constrained by what publishers allow.

Robert Iversen:
Can this be place on my home screen that seems to have a lot of stuff I am not quite sure what purpose it servers... I know... I am 'newbie,' as my son would say when I play a video game with him. 

Does the information at http://wiki.logos.com/Home_Page give you some pointers about customising what is shown on the home page. The basic idea is that you can turn on things you are interested and turn off the things you don't want.

Hope this helps

Graham

You can also reorder the way things appear on some things.

Robert,

There is a free Webinar through www.learnlogos.com tonight. The trainer John Falahee is a former Logos employee and does sell training products. But he offers a free Webinar 3 Momday's a month. Tonight's is how to do biographical studies using the Apostle Paul as an example.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 10:37 AM

Philana Crouch:

Graham Criddle:

Hi Robert

Robert Iversen:

Robert Iversen:

Hope this helps

Graham

You can also reorder the way things appear on some things.

Robert,

There is a free Webinar through www.learnlogos.com tonight. The trainer John Falahee is a former Logos employee and does sell training products. But he offers a free Webinar 3 Momday's a month. Tonight's is how to do biographical studies using the Apostle Paul as an example.

Not having anything personal against the webinar stuff, but there are plenty of good videos here[wiki] and plenty of helpers along the way...in essence why pay for what is readily available just fir the asking......

Hope this helps...

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 1883
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 10:42 AM

Room 4 More,

I was referring him to the free Webinar, it is free to attend, I just mentioned that he also sells training. But the webinars are 100% free to attend. He doesn't have to pay.

Posts 127
Robert I | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 1:08 PM

I tried to reorder some things... it did not work.  Am I missing something?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2012 4:30 PM

Robert Iversen:

I tried to reorder some things... it did not work.  Am I missing something?

Please elaborate about trying to reorder some things, screenshot could be helpful for illustration.

In Logos 4, can drag and drop many items to arrange as desired.  Section headers within Guides can be dragged and dropped.  Tabs can be dragged and dropped.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS