Torah Portions/Messianic Lectionary

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 33
Sidney_W | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 16 2009 12:56 PM

Shalom,

I saw the other Lectionaries available and was wondering if there was one for Parasha or the Torah reading cycle. I think I can just book mark www.torahportions.org in my favorites but it would be cool to have that reading cycle within Logos itself.

Thanks,

Avishalom

Posts 32121
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 5:32 PM

I'm not a Logos employee but I am close to having the Torah reading cycle to send to them if they are willing to work with it. They have put in the Parasha divisions.

What I'm have is the Parasha (1 year cycle) and Haftarah for:

• Askenazic (full)
  • Shephardic (full)
  • Italian (partial)
  • Yemenite (partial)
  • Karaite (partial)

I've just started on the 3 year cycle which I'm comfortable that the Parasha is accurate but I'm still having trouble verifying the accuracy of the Haftarah readings. I've just found a source for the use of the Tellihim at which when entered in the table will be what I send Logos. An earlier response from Logos leads me to believe that they will create the reading cycle when they have the information and have verified that there are no breaches of copyrights.

And, yes, I am Catholic not Jewish. But I am interested both in broadening Logos client base and in exploring the influence of Jewish worship on Catholic and Orthodox Christian worship.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 33
Sidney_W | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 8:24 PM

Shalom MJ,

Thanks, I pray that all goes well. 

I hope that WWW.FFOZ.ORG puts some of their material in Logos format. Particularly their Torah Club.

Posts 32121
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 9:02 PM

When the new PBB comes out, all you need is their permission to convert their material and make it available. Contact me for the "how to's" once the PBB is out.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 7:14 PM

נס גדול היה שם

Happy Channukah !

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 14
J Marais | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2010 6:08 AM

Hi I'm also keen on being able to to this. Not quite sure what the format mentioned is about...

Does anyone know if there has been progress on the possibility of doing this?

Posts 19216
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2010 7:04 AM

JMarais:

Hi I'm also keen on being able to to this. Not quite sure what the format mentioned is about...

Does anyone know if there has been progress on the possibility of doing this?

PBB is the Personal Book Builder. It hasn't been implemented for Logos 4 yet, but they're working on it. The latest official estimate of when it would be done is Second Quarter 2010, though there have been rumors of later (August or October).

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2011 6:57 PM

FFOZ's material is commercial, so the likelihood of them granting permission to make the conversion and then make it available freely to everyone else is remote.

I think a deal between FFOZ as publisher and Logos similar to the kinds of arrangements Logos has with Zondervan or Thomas Nelson has more chance of succeeding.  But to make it worthwhile, both sides have to be convinced that there will be significant sales to make the investment required for conversion, justifiable.

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 7:36 PM

MJ. Smith:
They have put in the Parasha divisions.

Hi MJ,

How can you see the Parasha portions?

Thanks in advance

Posts 32121
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 8:04 PM

Use the Compare Pericope tool under Text Analysis in the Passage section of the Tool menu

Posts 33
Sidney_W | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2011 3:32 PM
Shalom Tony, Forgive the late response. Do you have any site recommendations for Torah study? Thanks, Sid
Posts 32121
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2011 6:31 PM

I'll add http://www.shemayisrael.com/parsha/index.htm to the web resources reading list if it isn't already there.

Edit: it is already there in the lectionary section. Others may wish to add other options.

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 2:52 AM

MJ. Smith:

Use the Compare Pericope tool under Text Analysis in the Passage section of the Tool menu

Thx MJ, I'll give it a try.

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 3:00 AM

Avishalom:
Shalom Tony, Forgive the late response. Do you have any site recommendations for Torah study? Thanks, Sid

Hi Sid

Here are a few to get you started:

http://www.torahresource.com/

http://www.jcstudies.com/index.cfm?

http://jerusalemperspective.com/

http://ffoz.org/

I hope that helps

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 29 2011 3:20 AM

Hi Avi

I just made a Parasha Reading Schedule as a Personal Book. If you want it let me know where to send it.

Cheers

Avishalom:
I saw the other Lectionaries available and was wondering if there was one for Parasha or the Torah reading cycle. I think I can just book mark www.torahportions.org in my favorites but it would be cool to have that reading cycle within Logos itself.

Posts 33
Sidney_W | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 29 2011 10:18 AM

Yes most definitely Brother Tony! Email: avishalom@cox.net

Posts 32121
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 29 2011 11:48 AM

You might want to modify your email address to something like avishalom before at cox dot net so that it doesn't get picked up by a spam bot.

Posts 34
Daryle Froese | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 29 2011 12:54 PM

Could you please send me one as well - cdfroese at mts.net - Thanks!

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2011 3:08 AM

Duh, it turns out that Personal Books feature doesn't yet support sharing them: i.e. they have to be recompiled from a docx file for each instance of Logos!  See Grainger's comment on this thread:  http://tinyurl.com/3nd9fqa

Anyway, I have uploaded the docx file for you here:  http://tinyurl.com/3ncab44

Fortunately compiling such simple books is really easy.

Posts 74
David Betts | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 17 2011 6:55 AM

The Complete Jewish Bible has Torah Portions I like best  - from which I've made a Parasha PB.

However it seems what would be very handy is for "stop reading" / "read next" functions as in Laridian Pocket Bible CJB. Has anyone done this yet? ...or know how to do it?

Blessings to all from our Creator, Messiah, and King!

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS